Penninger Brake Upgrade

• Thread starter Jonathan Kaplan
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jonathan Kaplan

For you Penninger fans out there. I had Magura hydraulic rim brakes installed on my Voyager. It
makes a phenomenal difference in stopping power. It now feels like it has power brakes. It can also
now lock the wheels at a standstill. It was worth the expense and aggravation for the conversion.

J

Jeff Heimsch

I'd be interested in them for my Voyager. If it has one weakness, it is the brakes. How much do
they cost?

"Jonathan Kaplan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> For you Penninger fans out there. I had Magura hydraulic rim brakes installed on my Voyager. It
> makes a phenomenal difference in stopping
power.
> It now feels like it has power brakes. It can also now lock the wheels at
a
> standstill. It was worth the expense and aggravation for the conversion.

J

Jonathan Kaplan

The cost can vary considerably depending on your level of mechanical expertise. I purchased the
adapter plates from Penninger for $67. (these plates allow you to install the Magura Hydraulic Rim
brakes). I found a used set of Maguara brakes for $75.

What killed me was two hours labor for installation @$60 per hour plus misc. parts. All totaled:
$262. You would do much better if you could do your own installation. It's definitily worth it.
Today I was participating in the Schuykill Century in Philly, and a kid fell on his skateboard in
front of me on the bike path. I jammed on the brakes and skidded to a stop in about two feet.

J

Jeff Heimsch

Thanks, sounds impressive. Also sounds like you need a fair amount of mechanical skill to install...

"Jonathan Kaplan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> The cost can vary considerably depending on your level of mechanical expertise. I purchased the
> adapter plates from Penninger for $67. (these plates allow you to install the Magura Hydraulic Rim
> brakes). I found a
used
> set of Maguara brakes for $75.
>
> What killed me was two hours labor for installation @$60 per hour plus
misc.
> parts. All totaled: $262. You would do much better if you could do your
own
> installation. It's definitily worth it. Today I was participating in the Schuykill Century in
> Philly, and a kid fell on his skateboard in front of
me
> on the bike path. I jammed on the brakes and skidded to a stop in about
two
> feet.

J

Jonathan Kaplan

You have to be comfortable with hydraulic brake hose fitting, installation, and bleeding.

"Jeff Heimsch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks, sounds impressive. Also sounds like you need a fair amount of mechanical skill to
> install...
>
>
> "Jonathan Kaplan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> > The cost can vary considerably depending on your level of mechanical expertise. I purchased the
> > adapter plates from Penninger for $67.
(these
> > plates allow you to install the Magura Hydraulic Rim brakes). I found a
> used
> > set of Maguara brakes for $75.
> >
> > What killed me was two hours labor for installation @$60 per hour plus
> misc.
> > parts. All totaled: $262. You would do much better if you could do your
> own
> > installation. It's definitily worth it. Today I was participating in the Schuykill Century in
> > Philly, and a kid fell on his skateboard in front
of
> me
> > on the bike path. I jammed on the brakes and skidded to a stop in about
> two
> > feet.
> >
>

Status
Not open for further replies.