Penninger Brake Upgrade

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Jonathan Kaplan, Sep 6, 2003.

  1. For you Penninger fans out there. I had Magura hydraulic rim brakes installed on my Voyager. It
    makes a phenomenal difference in stopping power. It now feels like it has power brakes. It can also
    now lock the wheels at a standstill. It was worth the expense and aggravation for the conversion.

    Tags:

  2. Jeff Heimsch

    Jeff Heimsch Guest

    I'd be interested in them for my Voyager. If it has one weakness, it is the brakes. How much do
    they cost?

    "Jonathan Kaplan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > For you Penninger fans out there. I had Magura hydraulic rim brakes installed on my Voyager. It
    > makes a phenomenal difference in stopping
    power.
    > It now feels like it has power brakes. It can also now lock the wheels at
    > standstill. It was worth the expense and aggravation for the conversion.

  3. The cost can vary considerably depending on your level of mechanical expertise. I purchased the
    adapter plates from Penninger for $67. (these plates allow you to install the Magura Hydraulic Rim
    brakes). I found a used set of Maguara brakes for $75.

    What killed me was two hours labor for installation @$60 per hour plus misc. parts. All totaled:
    $262. You would do much better if you could do your own installation. It's definitily worth it.
    Today I was participating in the Schuykill Century in Philly, and a kid fell on his skateboard in
    front of me on the bike path. I jammed on the brakes and skidded to a stop in about two feet.

  4. Jeff Heimsch

    Jeff Heimsch Guest

    Thanks, sounds impressive. Also sounds like you need a fair amount of mechanical skill to install...

    "Jonathan Kaplan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > The cost can vary considerably depending on your level of mechanical expertise. I purchased the
    > adapter plates from Penninger for $67. (these plates allow you to install the Magura Hydraulic Rim
    > brakes). I found a
    used
    > set of Maguara brakes for $75.
    >
    > What killed me was two hours labor for installation @$60 per hour plus
    misc.
    > parts. All totaled: $262. You would do much better if you could do your
    own
    > installation. It's definitily worth it. Today I was participating in the Schuykill Century in
    > Philly, and a kid fell on his skateboard in front of
    me
    > on the bike path. I jammed on the brakes and skidded to a stop in about
    two
    > feet.

  5. You have to be comfortable with hydraulic brake hose fitting, installation, and bleeding.

    news:[email protected]...