Penninger Brake Upgrade

Jonathan Kaplan

Guest
For you Penninger fans out there. I had Magura hydraulic rim brakes installed on my Voyager. It
makes a phenomenal difference in stopping power. It now feels like it has power brakes. It can also
now lock the wheels at a standstill. It was worth the expense and aggravation for the conversion.

I'd be interested in them for my Voyager. If it has one weakness, it is the brakes. How much do
they cost?

"Jonathan Kaplan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> For you Penninger fans out there. I had Magura hydraulic rim brakes installed on my Voyager. It
> makes a phenomenal difference in stopping
power.
> It now feels like it has power brakes. It can also now lock the wheels at
> standstill. It was worth the expense and aggravation for the conversion.

The cost can vary considerably depending on your level of mechanical expertise. I purchased the
adapter plates from Penninger for $67. (these plates allow you to install the Magura Hydraulic Rim
brakes). I found a used set of Maguara brakes for $75.

What killed me was two hours labor for installation @$60 per hour plus misc. parts. All totaled:
$262. You would do much better if you could do your own installation. It's definitily worth it.
Today I was participating in the Schuykill Century in Philly, and a kid fell on his skateboard in
front of me on the bike path. I jammed on the brakes and skidded to a stop in about two feet.

Thanks, sounds impressive. Also sounds like you need a fair amount of mechanical skill to install...

"Jonathan Kaplan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> The cost can vary considerably depending on your level of mechanical expertise. I purchased the
> adapter plates from Penninger for $67. (these plates allow you to install the Magura Hydraulic Rim
> brakes). I found a
used
> set of Maguara brakes for $75.
>
> What killed me was two hours labor for installation @$60 per hour plus
misc.
> parts. All totaled: $262. You would do much better if you could do your
own
> installation. It's definitily worth it. Today I was participating in the Schuykill Century in
> Philly, and a kid fell on his skateboard in front of
me
> on the bike path. I jammed on the brakes and skidded to a stop in about
two
> feet.

You have to be comfortable with hydraulic brake hose fitting, installation, and bleeding.

news:[email protected]...