Penninger oyger impressions

Jude T. McGloin

Guest
I took my wife's Penninger Traveler and FINALLY got around to making some needed changes. The story
of the cobbler with holes in his shoes applies. Three new Kenda Kwests HPs, Kool Stop MTB Brake
pads, a parking brake, Sigma Targa Cyclometer and SPuDs. This required a test ride. So off to Oxford
via the ferry and 34 miles later the test was done. This is a really neat Delta Trike. The kool
stops increased the Shimano Tiagara brakes stopping power greatly. At 10 mph with the stock pads I
could not lock the wheels up. Now I can. The Kwests were also a great improvement. Harsher than the
Stock Tioga Bermudas but much faster. My average speed was 15.9 for the trip. I really like this
trike, more than I thought I would. It handled great and the turning radius is unreal, you can spin
it around in a space just a bit wider than its length. The push/pull steering is smooth and
responsive. Its a fun machine, Upon returning home to wife who has one total knee, one partial knee
and one hip replacement, I quickly moved the BB back to her position, she put on her new shoes and
was off. After she didn't return I jumped on the bikeE and found her on the other side of the island
riding with some neighbors. She liked the modifications especially the parking brake that she
claimed she didn't need. The Penninger has two independently operated dual pivot brakes on each rear
wheel. No front brake. I mounted an Oddsey BMX brake up front and put a lever with a spring lock on
the right side wheel brace tube. You simply drop your hand down reach around the lever press and
push the pin in to lock it down. Anyone who has a trike delta or tadpole knows that they have a
tendency to run away on unleveled ground. It also keeps helps wifey get in and out of the seat. She
has had multiple back surgeries also. This is a really well made trike. Flawless powdercoat,
beautiful welds and Phil Hubs to boot!
Inc 1-800-586-6645

I'm a two trike owner. I have the Wicks Trimuter (a Greenspeed clone built in the USA), and a
Penninger Voyager. I consider the trimuter a Mazda Miata, and the Penninger a Lincoln Towncar. The
Penninger can lift a wheel if a turn is taken too quickly. Also, its not as fast. The plus side is
the short turning radius, the comfortable ride, and the fun steering. I'll have to try the brake
modification that you describe. The original brakes are terrible. The parking brake idea is good
too. I currently use a nylon web on the handbrake to hold the bike.

Where did you place the handbrake lever for the "parking brake?" I wasn't sure which tube you were
describing.

Jon, The sub. is misleading, Senoir moment. We have the Traveler model. The brake lever is mounted
on the right horiziontal support that forms the square main frame of the rear section. Parallel to
the boom. Just fwd of where the brake caliper mount is welded on. The brake I used was an
inexpensive long reach Oddsey 1999 BMX. I used the Shimano pads from the rear brakes to replace the
stock ones. The locking levers are mid grade and attach nicely. If interested I can get you a pair.
I plan to find a better quality caliper. This was an experiment and upgradable. The lever is fine.
news:[email protected]...