Penn's Landing in Philly?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Nyrides, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Nyrides

    Nyrides Guest

    I discovered this area by accident this past weekend while I was in Philly. I think the road I was
    on is called Columbus Drive/ Washington Ave. It looks a lot like the waterfront areas in Chicago
    and Montreal, both of which are big tourist attractions and both of which have bike paths running
    along them.

    I noticed there's an old rail line running down the middle of the street, just as there must have
    been in Chicago - and maybe even Montreal at one time. This looks like it would make an excellent
    bicycle path, if the intersections can be made safe.

    My questions: Has there ever been any official discussion of a rail-to-trail conversion here? And is
    this area "hopping" in the warm weather months like Navy Pier (Chicago), Chelsea Pier (NYC), or Old
    Montreal? I believe it could be - and I think a bike path would add a lot to it.

    My compliments, also, to the City of Philadelphia for keeping the Schuykill path in such good shape
    -- and for its commitment to parks and recreation.
    --
    Low-Impact Rides in the NY/LI region www.geocities.com/NYRides

    Tags:

  2. Bcotton

    Bcotton Guest

    Thanks for the visit NYRides; Bike lanes are on Columbus Boulevard, construction is in progress and
    some places may not be painted presently. The East Coast Greenway http://www.greenway.org/ uses
    Columbus Blvd from Penn Treaty Park to Spring Garden Ave. and a stop at the Liberty Bell, 5th and
    Market, as it passes through Philadelphia and Pennsylvania. Picture of that route being used,
    http://www.billcotton.com/east_coast_greenway.htm
    > My questions: Has there ever been any official discussion of a rail-to-trail conversion here? And
    > is this area "hopping" in the warm
    weather months like >Navy Pier (Chicago), Chelsea Pier (NYC), or Old
    > Montreal? I believe it could be - and I think a bike path would add a lot to it.

    North of Columbia Blvd., a rail line follow the river to Trenton. One spur, Philadelphia to Bristol
    is on the drawing board. Presently the trail follow State Road to Bristol. From Bristol to
    Morrisville PA, a Tow Path exists. Sections has to be reclaimed and are on the drawing board. And
    yes the area is busy in the summer, a Disneyland project was loss just last year, so I am sure other
    ideas are being considered. At the Penn Landing area, a ferry permit bicycles to cross the river
    into New Jersey and the Ben Franklin Bridge has walkways on both sides that connect to New Jersey.
    the Bridge commission post walkway closing information to Bicycle Club of Philadelphia maillist.
    check the web page http://phillybikeclub.org/
    > My compliments, also, to the City of Philadelphia for keeping the
    Schuylkill
    > path in such good shape -- and for its commitment to parks and recreation.
    The counties around Philadelphia have bicycle trails also. The Schuylkill trail is extended into
    Montgomery county via it seamless connection to the Perkiomen trail.
    http://www.billcotton.com/philadelphia_area_bicycle_trails.htm The Perkiomen trail is completed to
    Collegeville and is being work on currently with sections completed to Green Lane Park and Red Hill
    PA. This trail is rail to trail, the spur continue to Allentown PA
    --
    // Bill Cotton: Latitude N40° 03.756' W75° 06.192' / / Phone 215 663-8363 Data 215 663-8364 //
    [email protected] [email protected] // [email protected] [email protected] //

    "NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I discovered this area by accident this past weekend while I was in
    Philly.
    > I think the road I was on is called Columbus Drive/ Washington Ave. It looks a lot like the
    > waterfront areas in Chicago and Montreal, both of
    which
    > are big tourist attractions and both of which have bike paths running
    along
    > them.
    >
    > I noticed there's an old rail line running down the middle of the street, just as there must have
    > been in Chicago - and maybe even Montreal at one time. This looks like it would make an excellent
    > bicycle path, if the intersections can be made safe.
    >
    > My questions: Has there ever been any official discussion of a rail-to-trail conversion here? And
    > is this area "hopping" in the warm weather months like Navy Pier (Chicago), Chelsea Pier (NYC), or
    > Old Montreal? I believe it could be - and I think a bike path would add a lot to it.
    >
    > My compliments, also, to the City of Philadelphia for keeping the
    Schuykill
    > path in such good shape -- and for its commitment to parks and recreation.
    > --
    > Low-Impact Rides in the NY/LI region www.geocities.com/NYRides

  3. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "NYRides"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    snip

    > My compliments, also, to the City of Philadelphia for keeping the Schuykill path in such good
    > shape -- and for its commitment to parks and recreation.
    > --
    > Low-Impact Rides in the NY/LI region www.geocities.com/NYRides

    The City of Philadelphia doesn¹t give a rats ass about their section of the SRT. They may maintain
    the sidewalks along the river drives but thats about it.

    Once you leave Philadelphia and enter Montgomery County its a totally different situation.

    The trail has been repaved and is maintained by the counties Parks department - a pleasure to ride.

    HAND - Ride Safe