Penn's Landing in Philly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nyrides

I discovered this area by accident this past weekend while I was in Philly. I think the road I was
on is called Columbus Drive/ Washington Ave. It looks a lot like the waterfront areas in Chicago
and Montreal, both of which are big tourist attractions and both of which have bike paths running
along them.

I noticed there's an old rail line running down the middle of the street, just as there must have
been in Chicago - and maybe even Montreal at one time. This looks like it would make an excellent
bicycle path, if the intersections can be made safe.

My questions: Has there ever been any official discussion of a rail-to-trail conversion here? And is
this area "hopping" in the warm weather months like Navy Pier (Chicago), Chelsea Pier (NYC), or Old
Montreal? I believe it could be - and I think a bike path would add a lot to it.

My compliments, also, to the City of Philadelphia for keeping the Schuykill path in such good shape
-- and for its commitment to parks and recreation.
--
Low-Impact Rides in the NY/LI region www.geocities.com/NYRides

Thanks for the visit NYRides; Bike lanes are on Columbus Boulevard, construction is in progress and
some places may not be painted presently. The East Coast Greenway http://www.greenway.org/ uses
Columbus Blvd from Penn Treaty Park to Spring Garden Ave. and a stop at the Liberty Bell, 5th and
Market, as it passes through Philadelphia and Pennsylvania. Picture of that route being used,
http://www.billcotton.com/east_coast_greenway.htm
> My questions: Has there ever been any official discussion of a rail-to-trail conversion here? And
> is this area "hopping" in the warm
weather months like >Navy Pier (Chicago), Chelsea Pier (NYC), or Old
> Montreal? I believe it could be - and I think a bike path would add a lot to it.
>
North of Columbia Blvd., a rail line follow the river to Trenton. One spur, Philadelphia to Bristol
is on the drawing board. Presently the trail follow State Road to Bristol. From Bristol to
Morrisville PA, a Tow Path exists. Sections has to be reclaimed and are on the drawing board. And
yes the area is busy in the summer, a Disneyland project was loss just last year, so I am sure other
ideas are being considered. At the Penn Landing area, a ferry permit bicycles to cross the river
into New Jersey and the Ben Franklin Bridge has walkways on both sides that connect to New Jersey.
the Bridge commission post walkway closing information to Bicycle Club of Philadelphia maillist.
check the web page http://phillybikeclub.org/
> My compliments, also, to the City of Philadelphia for keeping the
Schuylkill
> path in such good shape -- and for its commitment to parks and recreation.
The counties around Philadelphia have bicycle trails also. The Schuylkill trail is extended into
Montgomery county via it seamless connection to the Perkiomen trail.
http://www.billcotton.com/philadelphia_area_bicycle_trails.htm The Perkiomen trail is completed to
Collegeville and is being work on currently with sections completed to Green Lane Park and Red Hill
PA. This trail is rail to trail, the spur continue to Allentown PA
--
// Bill Cotton: Latitude N40° 03.756' W75° 06.192' / / Phone 215 663-8363 Data 215 663-8364 //
[email protected] [email protected] // [email protected] [email protected] //
www.billcotton.com

"NYRides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I discovered this area by accident this past weekend while I was in
Philly.
> I think the road I was on is called Columbus Drive/ Washington Ave. It looks a lot like the
> waterfront areas in Chicago and Montreal, both of
which
> are big tourist attractions and both of which have bike paths running
along
> them.
>
> I noticed there's an old rail line running down the middle of the street, just as there must have
> been in Chicago - and maybe even Montreal at one time. This looks like it would make an excellent
> bicycle path, if the intersections can be made safe.
>
> My questions: Has there ever been any official discussion of a rail-to-trail conversion here? And
> is this area "hopping" in the warm weather months like Navy Pier (Chicago), Chelsea Pier (NYC), or
> Old Montreal? I believe it could be - and I think a bike path would add a lot to it.
>
> My compliments, also, to the City of Philadelphia for keeping the
Schuykill
> path in such good shape -- and for its commitment to parks and recreation.
> --
> Low-Impact Rides in the NY/LI region www.geocities.com/NYRides

In article <[email protected]>, "NYRides"
<[email protected]> wrote:

snip
>
> My compliments, also, to the City of Philadelphia for keeping the Schuykill path in such good
> shape -- and for its commitment to parks and recreation.
> --
> Low-Impact Rides in the NY/LI region www.geocities.com/NYRides
>
The City of Philadelphia doesn¹t give a rats ass about their section of the SRT. They may maintain
the sidewalks along the river drives but thats about it.

Once you leave Philadelphia and enter Montgomery County its a totally different situation.

The trail has been repaved and is maintained by the counties Parks department - a pleasure to ride.

HAND - Ride Safe

--
³Freedom Is a Light for Which Many Have Died in Darkness³

- Tomb of the unknown - American Revolution

Status
Not open for further replies.