penny?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Small Black Dog

What happened with your hand? How did the doc appointment go?

Small Black Dog

Small Black Dog wrote:
> What happened with your hand? How did the doc appointment go?
>
> Small Black Dog

you must not be reading Rimmers' posts:

(c/v)

>> <sigh> off to the hand surgeon for an evaluation.... just don't let it interfere with riding....

since the splinting didn't take, the plan now is to put a pin internally in the joint for 6-8 weeks.
Should be ok for riding but I'd need to wear an external splint in case I wrecked. Breaking the
internal pin would be a Bad Thing. We'll see. It sucks, but it could suck worse.

Middle finger, first joint. All this from dabbing some glop off the carpet.

d.

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Small Black Dog wrote:
> > What happened with your hand? How did the doc appointment go?
> >
> > Small Black Dog
>
> you must not be reading Rimmers' posts:
>
> (c/v)
>
> >> <sigh> off to the hand surgeon for an evaluation.... just don't let it interfere with
> >> riding....
>
> since the splinting didn't take, the plan now is to put a pin internally
in
> the joint for 6-8 weeks. Should be ok for riding but I'd need to wear an external splint in case I
> wrecked. Breaking the internal pin would be a
Bad
> Thing. We'll see. It sucks, but it could suck worse.
>
> Middle finger, first joint. All this from dabbing some glop off the
carpet.
>
> P.
>
Didn't know about this, sorry to here. Sometimes the only thing worse than surgery is not having it,
like in the case of a herniated disc and a pinched nerve. 10 weeks later I feel great and am
beginning to get back to my pre-surgery condition.

Hopefully you won't have to lose any conditioning, but use it as incentive to come back better
and stronger.

Good luck! Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

"Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Small Black Dog wrote:
> > > What happened with your hand? How did the doc appointment go?
> > >
> > > Small Black Dog
> >
> > you must not be reading Rimmers' posts:
> >
> > (c/v)
> >
> > >> <sigh> off to the hand surgeon for an evaluation.... just don't let it interfere with
> > >> riding....
> >
> > since the splinting didn't take, the plan now is to put a pin internally
> in
> > the joint for 6-8 weeks. Should be ok for riding but I'd need to wear
an
> > external splint in case I wrecked. Breaking the internal pin would be a
> Bad
> > Thing. We'll see. It sucks, but it could suck worse.
> >
> > Middle finger, first joint. All this from dabbing some glop off the
> carpet.
> >
> > P.
> >
> Didn't know about this, sorry to here. Sometimes the only thing worse than surgery is not having
> it, like in the case of a herniated disc and a
pinched
> nerve. 10 weeks later I feel great and am beginning to get back to my pre-surgery condition.
>
> Hopefully you won't have to lose any conditioning, but use it as incentive to come back better and
> stronger.
>
> Good luck! Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
>
>

I hadn't heard either. Hope it all goes well and you're back in the saddle soon!

Matt (been busy lately - not much time for Rimmer's insights)

Craig Brossman wrote:
>>>> <sigh> off to the hand surgeon for an evaluation.... just don't let it interfere with
>>>> riding....
>>
>> since the splinting didn't take, the plan now is to put a pin internally in the joint for 6-8
>> weeks. Should be ok for riding but I'd need to wear an external splint in case I wrecked.
>> Breaking the internal pin would be a Bad Thing. We'll see. It sucks, but it could suck worse.
>>
>> Middle finger, first joint. All this from dabbing some glop off the carpet.
>>
>> P.
>>
> Didn't know about this, sorry to here. Sometimes the only thing worse than surgery is not having
> it, like in the case of a herniated disc and a pinched nerve. 10 weeks later I feel great and am
> beginning to get back to my pre-surgery condition.

http://www.emedicine.com/aaem/images/109Sach_Finger.jpg just pretend it's the middle finger. The
tendon that holds the finger straight is blown. It catches on everything.. putting my hand in my
pocket, getting junk out of my purse, putting clothes on/off etc. PLus the tendon is really inflamed
and the least little bump in excruciating.

shouldn't interfere with riding tho, hasn't yet.

Penny

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:06:51 -0800, Penny S. wrote:

> All this from dabbing some glop off the carpet.

Oh, that really sucks. I have a knee injury from playing this stupid game that I absolutely hated,
but the Air Force made everyone play during their training schools. I don't even remember the name
of the game, but here it is 15 years later and I still have the injury.

If I'd have injured it riding, or doing something that I enjoy, it wouldn't be quite as bad.

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Craig Brossman wrote:
> > "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >>>> <sigh> off to the hand surgeon for an evaluation.... just don't let it interfere with
> >>>> riding....
> >>
> >> since the splinting didn't take, the plan now is to put a pin internally in the joint for 6-8
> >> weeks. Should be ok for riding but I'd need to wear an external splint in case I wrecked.
> >> Breaking the internal pin would be a Bad Thing. We'll see. It sucks, but it could suck worse.
> >>
> >> Middle finger, first joint. All this from dabbing some glop off the carpet.
> >>
> >> P.
> >>
> > Didn't know about this, sorry to here. Sometimes the only thing worse than surgery is not having
> > it, like in the case of a herniated disc and a pinched nerve. 10 weeks later I feel great and am
> > beginning to get back to my pre-surgery condition.
>
> http://www.emedicine.com/aaem/images/109Sach_Finger.jpg just pretend it's the middle finger. The
> tendon that holds the finger straight is blown. It catches on everything.. putting my hand in my
> pocket, getting junk out of my purse, putting clothes on/off etc. PLus the tendon is really
> inflamed and the least little bump in excruciating.
>
> shouldn't interfere with riding tho, hasn't yet.
>
> Penny
>

Okay, you've piqued my curiosity. I know that type of injury is common with rock climbers, but
mopping up a spill? What did you do? And what should I avoid doing? You got me worrying here.... I'm
a carpet installer......

--
Cameron

MattB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Craig Brossman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > Good luck! Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
> >
> >
>
> I hadn't heard either. Hope it all goes well and you're back in the saddle soon!
>
> Matt (been busy lately - not much time for Rimmer's insights)

Shame on you Matt - My insights are often truly enlightening, and many lives are all the
better for them.

Shaun aRe - Bet your sorry you didn't make time now.

BB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:06:51 -0800, Penny S. wrote:
>
> > All this from dabbing some glop off the carpet.
>
> Oh, that really sucks. I have a knee injury from playing this stupid game that I absolutely hated,
> but the Air Force made everyone play during their training schools. I don't even remember the name
> of the game, but here it is 15 years later and I still have the injury.
>
> If I'd have injured it riding, or doing something that I enjoy, it wouldn't be quite as bad.

Blaine..., it was called The Hokey Pokey. "you put your right foot in, ..."

Paladin

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Small Black Dog wrote:
> > What happened with your hand? How did the doc appointment go?
> >
> > Small Black Dog
>
> you must not be reading Rimmers' posts:
>
> (c/v)
>
> >> <sigh> off to the hand surgeon for an evaluation.... just don't let it interfere with
> >> riding....
>
> since the splinting didn't take, the plan now is to put a pin internally in the joint for 6-8
> weeks. Should be ok for riding but I'd need to wear an external splint in case I wrecked. Breaking
> the internal pin would be a Bad Thing. We'll see. It sucks, but it could suck worse.
>
> Middle finger, first joint. All this from dabbing some glop off the carpet.
>
> P.

I hadn't heard about this either, Penny. But sorry you have to go through it; heal up quick, we've
got some epic riding planned for this summer, and we're counting on you being strong enough to bring
the brew again.

Paladin

Paladin wrote:
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> Small Black Dog wrote:
>>> What happened with your hand? How did the doc appointment go?
>>>
>>> Small Black Dog
>>
>> you must not be reading Rimmers' posts:
>>
>> (c/v)
>>
>>>> <sigh> off to the hand surgeon for an evaluation.... just don't let it interfere with
>>>> riding....
>>
>> since the splinting didn't take, the plan now is to put a pin internally in the joint for 6-8
>> weeks. Should be ok for riding but I'd need to wear an external splint in case I wrecked.
>> Breaking the internal pin would be a Bad Thing. We'll see. It sucks, but it could suck worse.
>>
>> Middle finger, first joint. All this from dabbing some glop off the carpet.
>>
>> P.
>
>
> I hadn't heard about this either, Penny. But sorry you have to go through it; heal up quick, we've
> got some epic riding planned for this summer, and we're counting on you being strong enough to
> bring the brew again.
>
> Paladin

I don't think it's going to be any big deal to have the joint pinned. I just figure I'll tape an
external splint on when riding for extra protection. You guys can already stock up on the "hey are
you flipping me off " jokes.

P.

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:06:51 -0800, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:

>since the splinting didn't take, the plan now is to put a pin internally in the joint for 6-8
>weeks. Should be ok for riding but I'd need to wear an external splint in case I wrecked. Breaking
>the internal pin would be a Bad Thing. We'll see. It sucks, but it could suck worse.
>
>Middle finger, first joint. All this from dabbing some glop off the carpet.
>
>P.
>
Hope all goes well....IMHO take the damn thing off. Become and amputee and get handicap plates and
park close to the Mall entrances legally.

Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind
should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

Bill Wheeler wrote:
> Hope all goes well....IMHO take the damn thing off. Become and amputee and get handicap plates and
> park close to the Mall entrances legally.

Handicapped parking permits are (supposed to be)issued based upon walking disabilities.

"Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:06:51 -0800, "Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
> >since the splinting didn't take, the plan now is to put a pin internally
in
> >the joint for 6-8 weeks. Should be ok for riding but I'd need to wear an external splint in case
> >I wrecked. Breaking the internal pin would be a
Bad
> >Thing. We'll see. It sucks, but it could suck worse.
> >
> >Middle finger, first joint. All this from dabbing some glop off the
carpet.
> >
> >P.
> >
> Hope all goes well....IMHO take the damn thing off. Become and amputee and get handicap plates and
> park close to the Mall entrances legally.
>
>
> Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is, the
> mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
> :-]

Sounds like a familiar injury. Had one in '96. Went off a ramp, got twisted sideways in the air and
landed hand down and caught the long finger on a stick in the ground. Needed splinting for 6-10
weeks then rehab for a year. Doing fine. Did you break into the joint surface?

-Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.