Pens Anserine Bursitis (goose foot bursitis?)

landersben

Apr 14, 2004
Hello Everyone,

I am a new reader to this forum and an avid bicycle racer. Recently I started to experience a pain just below my knee on my inner shin bone. I did some searching on the Internet and believe that I have Pens Anserine Bursitis (Goose Foot Bursitis).

I saw a recent posting about how to treat this type of injury, but the posting said, "DON'T let anyone talk you into getting it injected with anything" while most of the sites I found on the Internet claim that a shot of cortisone can rapidly provide relief.

Any additional info I should know before seeking medical consultation? I don't want to have a Doc recomend the shot and accept if there is some hidden danger.

Best Regards,

B.

The concern with shots of cortisone-type drugs is that in big doses and over the long term, they can potentially weaken tendons in the area that they are injected. There are many other side effects when they are taken as tablets but these are not really an issue with an infection in a specific area. You only get a tiny amount in your system and certainly not any more than your adrenal glands are already producing. A one off injection is safe if you need quick relief.

The injection does do a good job of settling inflammation but it depends how scared off you are by the possible side effects. Also, the assistance may only be temporary leading to a desire to do repeated injections.

Your other option is initial rest, physiotherapy, stretching etc. These will work but not as quickly as the injection.