Pentlands.

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Adam, May 9, 2003.

  1. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Hi All,

    Does anyone on this group ride in the Pentland Hills in Scotland?

    I've been up in Edinburgh for nearly a year now, but for much of that time I was working in Telford,
    so only had the weekends for riding. The guys I live with were spending many of those down at
    Glentress, so it's only been in the last few months that I've started properly explorng these hills.
    Lovely as they are, and right on my doorstep, I know that several of the trails have voluntary bans
    on mountain-biking. Does anyone know where I can find out exact information (instead of relying on
    hearsay) on what is frowned upon and what is useable? Also, several of the trails I use fairly
    regularly have sections where the path is pretty poorly defined and there are several options (often
    where they cross either burns or boggy patches) - I don't know whether this is walker or biker (or
    both) damage, but I try to avoid these sections. Unfortunately, this cuts out some of the best
    trails, but I don't want to cause more damage that I have to - am I right to avoid (or walk) these
    sections, or should I just stick to the best path I can see?

    Adam...

    Tags:

  2. Kevin W

    Kevin W Guest

    Adam wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Does anyone on this group ride in the Pentland Hills in Scotland?
    >
    > I've been up in Edinburgh for nearly a year now, but for much of that time I was working in
    > Telford, so only had the weekends for riding. The guys I live with were spending many of those
    > down at Glentress, so it's only been in the last few months that I've started properly explorng
    > these hills. Lovely as they are, and right on my doorstep, I know that several of the trails have
    > voluntary bans on mountain-biking. Does anyone know where I can find out exact information
    > (instead of relying on hearsay) on what is frowned upon and what is useable? Also, several of the
    > trails I use fairly regularly have sections where the path is pretty poorly defined and there are
    > several options (often where they cross either burns or boggy patches) - I don't know whether this
    > is walker or biker (or both) damage, but I try to avoid these sections. Unfortunately, this cuts
    > out some of the best trails, but I don't want to cause more damage that I have to - am I right to
    > avoid (or walk) these sections, or should I just stick to the best path I can see?
    >
    > Adam...

    MBR magazine did a ride 2 or 3 months ago in the Pentlands. Would be worth back-ordering that for
    the map of the ride they did. Looked good.