Penzeys, the Grinch That Stole Pepper

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Sheldon, Nov 30, 2005.

  1. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    I placed a rather largish order today (by phone) and while in the midst
    queried if Penzeys was following the other dot.coms with free shipping
    on substantial orders... "Oh no, we don't do that." I was haughtily
    informed. Needless to say I was not pleased and so clipped my order
    short, otherwise I would have ordered more than twice as much as I had
    a half dozen gift boxes picked out. I don't think Penzeys would be
    losing money by offering free shipping on orders over say $100... and
    especially tis the SEASON if yoose get my drift. And since shipping
    costs are primarilly based on weight, compared to most other items I
    already ordered from other companys with free shipping, Penzeys
    products are probably the lightest weight ratio to price. In fact I
    consider their shipping price list a major rip off... I think they
    should be charging less for costlier orders, not more... in effect
    Penzeys is screwing their best customers. I think Penzeys has grown
    way too big for their britches... it's time I shopped elsewhere, their
    products ain't so good I'm willing to be penalized for being a
    dedicated customer. Penzeys, stop taking your customers for granted.

    Sheldon Bah Humbug

    Tags:

  2. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Sheldon wrote:
    > I placed a rather largish order today (by phone) and while in the
    > midst queried if Penzeys was following the other dot.coms with free
    > shipping on substantial orders... "Oh no, we don't do that." I was
    > haughtily informed. Needless to say I was not pleased and so clipped
    > my order short, otherwise I would have ordered more than twice as
    > much as I had a half dozen gift boxes picked out. I don't think
    > Penzeys would be losing money by offering free shipping on orders
    > over say $100... and especially tis the SEASON if yoose get my drift.
    > And since shipping costs are primarilly based on weight, compared to
    > most other items I already ordered from other companys with free
    > shipping, Penzeys products are probably the lightest weight ratio to
    > price. In fact I consider their shipping price list a major rip
    > off... I think they should be charging less for costlier orders, not
    > more... in effect Penzeys is screwing their best customers. I think
    > Penzeys has grown way too big for their britches... it's time I
    > shopped elsewhere, their products ain't so good I'm willing to be
    > penalized for being a dedicated customer. Penzeys, stop taking your
    > customers for granted.
    >
    > Sheldon Bah Humbug

    Did you check the offshoot by one of the relatives - The Spice House? You
    might send them an email and tell them they'll get *all* your business when
    you buy gift boxes like that or place a large order for bulk herbs/spices,
    if they cut back on the shipping charges. (No, I haven't checked their
    shipping charges.) I ordered some Zassenhaus peppermills as gifts from The
    Spice House a few years back and they sold them for less than Penzey's.

    Jill

  3. Most online and catalog companies have frequent offers of discounts,
    free shipping, etc. Try callng their 800 number. Say, "I will spend
    X amount if you will ship for free, or Y amount (less) (or nothing) if
    I have to pay for shipping.. I am a regular repeat customer. What
    will you do for me?"
    ..
    Like all, they want business, and want repeat customers. Be nice, not
    demanding. Whoever is on the 800 phone after midnight is usually most
    happy to offer deals, since the operator is often working on commision.

    Jut be nice, and don't mention the name Sheldon.

  4. Sheldon wrote:

    > I placed a rather largish order today (by phone) and while in the midst
    > queried if Penzeys was following the other dot.coms with free shipping
    > on substantial orders... "Oh no, we don't do that." I was haughtily
    > informed. Needless to say I was not pleased and so clipped my order
    > short, otherwise I would have ordered more than twice as much as I had
    > a half dozen gift boxes picked out. I don't think Penzeys would be
    > losing money by offering free shipping on orders over say $100... and
    > especially tis the SEASON if yoose get my drift. And since shipping
    > costs are primarilly based on weight, compared to most other items I
    > already ordered from other companys with free shipping, Penzeys
    > products are probably the lightest weight ratio to price. In fact I
    > consider their shipping price list a major rip off... I think they
    > should be charging less for costlier orders, not more... in effect
    > Penzeys is screwing their best customers. I think Penzeys has grown
    > way too big for their britches... it's time I shopped elsewhere, their
    > products ain't so good I'm willing to be penalized for being a
    > dedicated customer. Penzeys, stop taking your customers for granted.

    Sheldon, stop thinking you're special. You've gotten way too big for your
    britches. Penzey's doesn't need your business. If you want to protest
    their shipping policies, here's what you should do: Get yourself a
    sledgehammer and a big pile of sand, then pound that pile right up your ass.

    Bob

    "Kike is still used to this day by Jews to describe other Jews who they feel
    are low in character. www.jtf.org/why.use.term.kike.htm"

  5. "Bob Terwilliger" <[email protected]_spammer.biz> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Sheldon wrote:
    > > > Penzeys is screwing their best customers. I think Penzeys has grown

    > > way too big for their britches... it's time I shopped elsewhere, their
    > > products ain't so good I'm willing to be penalized for being a
    > > dedicated customer. Penzeys, stop taking your customers for granted.

    > Sheldon, stop thinking you're special. You've gotten way too big for your
    > britches. Penzey's doesn't need your business. If you want to protest
    > their shipping policies, here's what you should do: Get yourself a
    > sledgehammer and a big pile of sand, then pound that pile right up your

    ass.

    I'm trying to picture this and I just can't.

    Anyway, a lot of companies do consider their shipping charges a profit
    center. Well I had a friend who sold products on eBay and that was his take
    anyway. I'm surpised that line of thinking doesn't follow suit other places
    though. I usually just grin and bear it with the shipping and I'm sure Im
    not the only one.

    cheers

  6. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    Bob Terwilliger wrote:

    > Sheldon, stop thinking you're special. You've gotten way too big for your
    > britches. Penzey's doesn't need your business. If you want to protest
    > their shipping policies, here's what you should do: Get yourself a
    > sledgehammer and a big pile of sand, then pound that pile right up your ass.

    Since you write solely to criticize Shel, and yet had nothing productive
    to add to the discussion, I'm going to have to assume you're just
    another one of his cyber stalkers?

    Penzey's needs everyone's business it gets. The minute a company loses
    site of that they go downhill. LLBean, surely far bigger than Penzey's,
    does offer free shipping this holiday season. It was one reason I
    specifically chose their products over LandsEnd, in fact.
    Goomba

  7. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    > Did you check the offshoot by one of the relatives - The Spice House? You
    > might send them an email and tell them they'll get *all* your business
    > when
    > you buy gift boxes like that or place a large order for bulk herbs/spices,
    > if they cut back on the shipping charges. (No, I haven't checked their
    > shipping charges.) I ordered some Zassenhaus peppermills as gifts from
    > The
    > Spice House a few years back and they sold them for less than Penzey's.
    >
    > Jill

    Thanks, Jill. I'd been hoping for a recommendation for another spice house.
    I no longer shop at Penzey's.
    Dee Dee

  8. wff_ng_7

    wff_ng_7 Guest

    "rox formerly rmg" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Anyway, a lot of companies do consider their shipping charges a profit
    > center. Well I had a friend who sold products on eBay and that was his
    > take
    > anyway. I'm surpised that line of thinking doesn't follow suit other
    > places
    > though. I usually just grin and bear it with the shipping and I'm sure Im
    > not the only one.

    I know what you mean by eBay sellers using shipping as their profit center.
    I've almost gotten burned by this more than once, so now I know to get a
    quote if the shipping is not listed. Luckily in those almost burned cases
    the auction price was so low that it was still a good deal after the steep
    shipping. I had one occassion where a listing stated actually shipping, plus
    $10 packaging (which could be reasonable considering the item). I asked for
    a quote, and got what seemed to be a high figure. I did my own pricing for
    the same weight between the same zip codes using the same shippers (UPS and
    DHL) and got a figure between $15 and $23 lower. I asked the seller to
    recheck his quote and he said, yup, his initial figure was correct. I didn't
    bid. On this heavy item, he made more on the inflated shipping than the
    auction price itself.

    Personally I'm not real fond of the free shipping offers as they encourage
    buying things you really didn't want to buy in the first place. Interesting
    at places like Amazon and Barnes & Noble how many single item prices are
    just below the cutoff for free shipping. More often than not I can't find
    anything else I really wanted, so the whole free shipping thing just pisses
    me off rather than makes me a happy customer. But I realize their marketing
    is effective and most people tend to take the bait.

    King Arthur Flour has a different model for pricing their shipping. They are
    weight based rather than price based on calculating the shipping charges. On
    more than one occassion I've compared them to Penzeys for an order of the
    same basic stuff to see which gives me the lower total cost.

    --
    ( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

  9. In article <[email protected]>,
    "wff_ng_7" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "rox formerly rmg" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Anyway, a lot of companies do consider their shipping charges a profit
    > > center. Well I had a friend who sold products on eBay and that was his
    > > take
    > > anyway. I'm surpised that line of thinking doesn't follow suit other
    > > places
    > > though. I usually just grin and bear it with the shipping and I'm sure Im
    > > not the only one.

    > I know what you mean by eBay sellers using shipping as their profit center.
    > I've almost gotten burned by this more than once, so now I know to get a
    > quote if the shipping is not listed. Luckily in those almost burned cases
    > the auction price was so low that it was still a good deal after the steep
    > shipping. I had one occassion where a listing stated actually shipping, plus
    > $10 packaging (which could be reasonable considering the item). I asked for
    > a quote, and got what seemed to be a high figure. I did my own pricing for
    > the same weight between the same zip codes using the same shippers (UPS and
    > DHL) and got a figure between $15 and $23 lower. I asked the seller to
    > recheck his quote and he said, yup, his initial figure was correct. I didn't
    > bid. On this heavy item, he made more on the inflated shipping than the
    > auction price itself.

    I've not started gouging for S&H yet as an ebay seller as I know it
    pisses customers off, but PLEASE understand why they do it! eBay has
    continued to raise listing and seller fees.

    You see, you have to pay a listing fee to ebay REGARDLESS of whether or
    not your item sells! Do enough auctions and that crap adds up.

    Quickly. :-(

    It's getting harder and harder to make a profit on ebay these days. Add
    Paypal fees into that and you get screwed even more.

    <sigh>

    I look at prices and at the shipping, then try to get the item for the
    cheapest over-all price, or if it looks like a regular item, I contact
    the seller privately and go from there. Ebay frowns on that for obvious
    reasons, but the greedy a-holes have brought that on themselves!

    > Personally I'm not real fond of the free shipping offers as they encourage
    > buying things you really didn't want to buy in the first place. Interesting
    > at places like Amazon and Barnes & Noble how many single item prices are
    > just below the cutoff for free shipping. More often than not I can't find
    > anything else I really wanted, so the whole free shipping thing just pisses
    > me off rather than makes me a happy customer. But I realize their marketing
    > is effective and most people tend to take the bait.

    I mostly get DVD's on Amazon so it's not been a problem. ;-)
    --
    Om.

  10. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Goomba38 wrote:

    > Penzey's needs everyone's business it gets. The minute a company loses
    > sight of that they go downhill. LLBean, surely far bigger than Penzey's,
    > does offer free shipping this holiday season. It was one reason I
    > specifically chose their products over LandsEnd, in fact.
    > Goomba

    I happen to be one of Penzeys earliest customers (If memory serves I
    believe #54), discovered them in a small article in the food section of
    LI Newsday. I was the one who introduced Penzeys to rfc, some 12 years
    ago. Penzeys service was terrific early on, their personel
    accomodating and polite.... and over the years I made great efforts to
    tout their products.

    Penzeys service has slid down hill and at an ever escalating rate...
    the more stores they open the worse the company becomes, in every
    respect. Their personal is now surly, abrupt, and really not very
    knowledgeable. Penzeys no longer includes samples of their new
    products with orders and their product has definitely declined in
    quality, includes way too much debris and dust, and is not nearly as
    fresh as before. And now with this shipping issue I find Penzeys
    refuses to be competitive, in fact they are ripping off their customers
    with what I feel is their unfair method for determining shipping
    costs.... according to their fercocktah system they would ship me some
    40 pounds of kosher "style" salt at a lower shipping cost than 1/4
    ounce of saffron. Well DUH! HOW IS THAT FAIR??? The USPS will send
    that 1/4 ounce of saffron by First Class Mail for 37ยข... Penzeys wants
    $9.50 and you may not receive your saffron for ten business days.
    Penzeys is definitely reaping a windfall on shipping, they are gouging
    their customers, and saddly they are gouging their best customers the
    deepest... the more you spend the deeper they gouge.

    The more I think about it the more I detest those Scuzzy Penzeys
    Bastards!

    This is not the first time Penzeys has treated me unfairly, but it will
    be the last.

    It is too late for them to satisfy me, I no longer trust them.

    "The Penzeys Project" will be my endeaver for the new year.

    Sheldon Boycott

  11. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Sheldon wrote:
    > I placed a rather largish order today (by phone)
    > Sheldon Bah Humbug

    Am I on your shopping list, sweetie? ;)

  12. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > Sheldon wrote:
    > > I placed a rather largish order today (by phone)
    > > Sheldon Bah Humbug

    > Am I on your shopping list, sweetie? ;)

    Um, this was Penzeys, not Victorias. hehe

    Sheldon Spicy

  13. wff_ng_7

    wff_ng_7 Guest

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I've not started gouging for S&H yet as an ebay seller as I know it
    > pisses customers off, but PLEASE understand why they do it! eBay has
    > continued to raise listing and seller fees.
    >
    > You see, you have to pay a listing fee to ebay REGARDLESS of whether or
    > not your item sells! Do enough auctions and that crap adds up.

    I guess I'd like to see the minimum bid bet set to include the eBay fees.
    And for the shipping to be specified directly or through the shipping
    calculator. I really don't like having to ask for a shipping quote for an
    item I might not even bid on, let alone actually win. It wastes both my time
    and the sellers. But I guess a large percentage of the buyers don't even
    consider the shipping aspect until they've already won the item.

    I realize that by making the final cost more transparent, for a lot of items
    it wouldn't make any kind of economic sense to list them on eBay. Maybe
    that's as it should be, but then a lot of relatively cheap oddball things
    would never be offered... and I buy a fair number of those! ;-)

    Overall, I guess I've been treated fairly well by eBay sellers. Sometimes
    they underestimate shipping charges, and end up essentially giving me the
    item for free. It's not that hard to happen if the item is in the couple of
    buck range and heavy. Take the listing fees into account, and the seller
    definitely lost money on those auctions in addition to giving the item away
    for free.

    > It's getting harder and harder to make a profit on ebay these days. Add
    > Paypal fees into that and you get screwed even more.

    And don't get me started about PayPal! ;-)

    --
    ( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

  14. wff_ng_7

    wff_ng_7 Guest

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I've not started gouging for S&H yet as an ebay seller as I know it
    > pisses customers off, but PLEASE understand why they do it! eBay has
    > continued to raise listing and seller fees.
    >
    > You see, you have to pay a listing fee to ebay REGARDLESS of whether or
    > not your item sells! Do enough auctions and that crap adds up.

    I guess I'd like to see the minimum bid bet set to include the eBay fees.
    And for the shipping to be specified directly or through the shipping
    calculator. I really don't like having to ask for a shipping quote for an
    item I might not even bid on, let alone actually win. It wastes both my time
    and the sellers. But I guess a large percentage of the buyers don't even
    consider the shipping aspect until they've already won the item.

    I realize that by making the final cost more transparent, for a lot of items
    it wouldn't make any kind of economic sense to list them on eBay. Maybe
    that's as it should be, but then a lot of relatively cheap oddball things
    would never be offered... and I buy a fair number of those! ;-)

    Overall, I guess I've been treated fairly well by eBay sellers. Sometimes
    they underestimate shipping charges, and end up essentially giving me the
    item for free. It's not that hard to happen if the item is in the couple of
    buck range and heavy. Take the listing fees into account, and the seller
    definitely lost money on those auctions in addition to giving the item away
    for free.

    > It's getting harder and harder to make a profit on ebay these days. Add
    > Paypal fees into that and you get screwed even more.

    And don't get me started about PayPal! ;-)

    --
    ( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

  15. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Sheldon wrote:
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >> Sheldon wrote:
    >>> I placed a rather largish order today (by phone)
    >>> Sheldon Bah Humbug

    >> Am I on your shopping list, sweetie? ;)

    > Um, this was Penzeys, not Victorias. hehe
    >
    > Sheldon Spicy

    Damn! Well if you decide to shop at Victoria's, I wear a size 6-8 :)

    Jill

  16. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > Sheldon wrote:
    > > jmcquown wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Am I on your shopping list, sweetie? ;)

    > > Um, this was Penzeys, not Victorias. hehe
    > >
    > > Sheldon Spicy

    > Damn! Well if you decide to shop at Victoria's, I wear a size 68 :)

    That's an awfully large bra size.

    ShelDon 38

  17. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    Sheldon wrote:
    > jmcquown wrote:
    > > Sheldon wrote:

    > > > Um, this was Penzeys, not Victorias. hehe
    > > >
    > > > Sheldon Spicy

    > > Damn! Well if you decide to shop at Victoria's, I wear a size 68 :)

    > That's an awfully large bra size.
    >
    > ShelDon 38

    Oi! Get a room, you two.... ;)
    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)

  18. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    > I mostly get DVD's on Amazon so it's not been a problem. ;-)
    > --
    > Om.

    I'm glad to hear that, as I sold all my used DVD's that I put for sale at
    Amazon very quickly. Amazon reimbursed a portion of the S&H to the seller.
    It was very welcome.
    I buy lots of books from individual sellers at Amazon and I find they are
    prompt and the charge of $3.49 (I think it is) is reasonable whether the
    book be a tome (sp?) or a thinly-spinly one.

    I was surprised that ebay and Amazon are competitors. I never go to ebay to
    look for anything new at all. Ebay was just too complicated for me to sell
    anything on, so it is all going slowly but surely to Salvation Army.
    Dee Dee

  19. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    cathyxyz wrote:
    > Sheldon wrote:
    >> jmcquown wrote:

    >>> Damn! Well if you decide to shop at Victoria's, I wear a size 68 :)

    >> That's an awfully large bra size.
    >>
    >> ShelDon 38

    > Oi! Get a room, you two.... ;)
    > Cheers
    > Cathy(xyz)

    No thanks, I'd rather have that $12,500 diamond and ruby bra I saw in the VS
    Christmas catalog :) (How uncomfortable and *cold* must THAT be?!)

    Jill

  20. On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 10:53:22 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I mostly get DVD's on Amazon so it's not been a problem. ;-)

    Have you tried deepdiscountdvd (.com)? Their prices beat any I've
    seen. And they do offer free shipping (though that's rather slow
    snail-mail) as well as reasonably priced faster shipping.

    --
    -denny-
    "Do your thoughts call ahead or do they just arrive at your mouth unannounced?"

    "It's come as you are, baby."

    -over the hedge