Penzey's Top Ten Spices?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Bill, Jan 21, 2006.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    I plead ignorance of spices other than salt and pepper. If one was to
    experiment with different spices in the kitchen...what would the top
    ten list look like?

    Bill

    (I bet Bill Penzey could look at his computer print out and tell us
    the top ten...)

    Tags:

  2. Bill wrote:
    > I plead ignorance of spices other than salt and pepper. If one was to
    > experiment with different spices in the kitchen...what would the top
    > ten list look like?

    Are you including herbs in your list?

    (Herbs: Green as from the leaf. Examples: dill, tarragon, basil.)

    (Spices: From any other part of the plant. Examples: cinnamon, cumin,
    saffron.)

    --Lia

  3. Bill wrote on 21 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > I plead ignorance of spices other than salt and pepper. If one was to
    > experiment with different spices in the kitchen...what would the top
    > ten list look like?
    >
    > Bill
    >
    > (I bet Bill Penzey could look at his computer print out and tell us
    > the top ten...)

    Everyone's list would differ due to personal taste.

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.

  4. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > I plead ignorance of spices other than salt and pepper. If one was to
    > experiment with different spices in the kitchen...what would the top
    > ten list look like?
    >
    > Bill
    >
    > (I bet Bill Penzey could look at his computer print out and tell us
    > the top ten...)

    My list would be like this:

    1. parisen bonnes herbs
    2. adobo seasoning
    3. granulated garlic
    4. fines herbs (for soup!)
    5. dried tarragon leaves
    6. dried toastsed onion flakes
    7. dried bell pepper flakes
    8. ground chipotle chili peppers
    9. ground ancho chilii peppers
    10. ground cayenne peppers

  5. "Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Everyone's list would differ due to personal taste.

    Or course they would, but I'd bet of the ten listed by everyone, five to
    seven would be on 85% of the listings.

    Black pepper
    Oregano
    Basil
    Rosemary
    Garlic
    Cinnamon
    Fennel
    Onion
    Paprika
    Thyme

  6. Edwin Pawlowski wrote on 21 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > "Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Everyone's list would differ due to personal taste.
    > >

    > Or course they would, but I'd bet of the ten listed by everyone, five
    > to seven would be on 85% of the listings.
    >
    > Black pepper
    > Oregano
    > Basil
    > Rosemary
    > Garlic
    > Cinnamon
    > Fennel
    > Onion
    > Paprika
    > Thyme

    I agree with black pepper but I would dump the rosemary and add celery
    seed. Plus where is bay leaf? I think bay leaf would push fennel off the
    list.

    But we are talking a top ten list, suggesting a ranked order. My list,
    ranked in order of most used. Since I rarely use cinnamon (not that it
    isn't a good tasting spice, I dropped it. I just rarely use it and only
    for baking when I use it (which I rarely do). Bad experences with
    Paprika (such as it had no taste) make me drop it too. I dislike
    rosemary (too piny for my tastes).

    I prefer to make mostly fast cooking foods most days of the week, such
    as frying and broiling. I bake rarely; hence no cinnamon, mace or
    nutmeg. I do more adventurous cooking (takes more time) on the weekends.
    I feel the types of cooking you do has an affect on which spices you
    use. Notice since I don't cook Italian style meals often there is no
    pine nuts, thyme or oregano on my list. Same with chinese style, so no
    sesame seeds, ginger or star anise.

    The top 5 are used more readily, almost daily. The last 5 used at least
    once a week on average. These aren't my favorites just my more often
    used. I feel dill would be on many others' list as well. I eat and enjoy
    celery, fennel and onion as veggies but only consider the seeds or
    powdered versions as a spice.

    1. black pepper
    2. garlic granulated
    3. onion powder
    4. celery seed
    5. Aleppo pepper
    6. terragon
    7. Cumin
    8. Mustard seed
    9. Bay leaf
    10. Chevril

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.

  7. jmcquown wrote on 21 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > Bill wrote:
    > > I plead ignorance of spices other than salt and pepper. If one was to
    > > experiment with different spices in the kitchen...what would the top
    > > ten list look like?
    > >
    > > Bill
    > >
    > > (I bet Bill Penzey could look at his computer print out and tell us
    > > the top ten...)

    > My list would be like this:
    >
    > 1. parisen bonnes herbs
    > 2. adobo seasoning
    > 3. granulated garlic
    > 4. fines herbs (for soup!)
    > 5. dried tarragon leaves
    > 6. dried toastsed onion flakes
    > 7. dried bell pepper flakes
    > 8. ground chipotle chili peppers
    > 9. ground ancho chilii peppers
    > 10. ground cayenne peppers

    Oh I didn't know blends were allowed...this changes everything!

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.

  8. limey

    limey Guest

    "Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > I dislike rosemary (too piny for my tastes).

    I agree. I can't even walk past a rosemary bush.
    Glad to hear you say it, though, since r.f.c.ers
    seem to like it (especially for lamb).

    Dora

  9. limey wrote on 21 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > "Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I dislike rosemary (too piny for my tastes).
    > >

    > I agree. I can't even walk past a rosemary bush.
    > Glad to hear you say it, though, since r.f.c.ers
    > seem to like it (especially for lamb).
    >
    > Dora

    Lamb needs red wine and lots of garlic....

    --
    The eyes are the mirrors....
    But the ears...Ah the ears.

  10. limey

    limey Guest

    "Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > limey wrote on 21 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking
    >

    >> "Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > I dislike rosemary (too piny for my tastes).
    >> >

    >> I agree. I can't even walk past a rosemary bush.
    >> Glad to hear you say it, though, since r.f.c.ers
    >> seem to like it (especially for lamb).
    >>
    >> Dora
    >>

    > Lamb needs red wine and lots of garlic....

    Yum - and for a real treat, butterfly the leg, coat with mustard and baste
    with teriyaki sauce. I know it sounds weird, but it works.

    Dora

  11. In article <[email protected]>,
    Bill <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I plead ignorance of spices other than salt and pepper. If one was to
    > experiment with different spices in the kitchen...what would the top
    > ten list look like?
    >
    > Bill
    >
    > (I bet Bill Penzey could look at his computer print out and tell us
    > the top ten...)

    Spices or herbs or blends?

    Heather (El Bubbo) and I just came from Penzeys relocated-to spot in
    Lakeville, MN. Most, if not all, of what I bought is a blend -- chile
    powder, chili con carne seasoning, greek seasoning, shallot pepper. All
    blends. I sold a guy some Fox Point and recommended Sunny Paris if salt
    is a concern (it's similar to Fox Point). I like their Bavarian
    Seasoning, Sandwich Sprinkle, Salad Seasoning blends -- come to think of
    it, most of what I buy there are blends because I buy the straight
    spices and herbs at my local food co-op.
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew

  12. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > I plead ignorance of spices other than salt and pepper. If one was to
    > experiment with different spices in the kitchen...what would the top
    > ten list look like?

    Garlic & Beer.

  13. Bill

    Bill Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 09:13:30 -0500, Julia Altshuler
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Bill wrote:
    >> I plead ignorance of spices other than salt and pepper. If one was to
    >> experiment with different spices in the kitchen...what would the top
    >> ten list look like?

    >Are you including herbs in your list?

    yes

    >(Herbs: Green as from the leaf. Examples: dill, tarragon, basil.)
    >

    >(Spices: From any other part of the plant. Examples: cinnamon, cumin,
    >saffron.)
    >

    >--Lia

  14. Bill

    Bill Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 15:08:43 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Everyone's list would differ due to personal taste.
    >>

    >Or course they would, but I'd bet of the ten listed by everyone, five to
    >seven would be on 85% of the listings.
    >
    >Black pepper
    >Oregano
    >Basil
    >Rosemary
    >Garlic
    >Cinnamon
    >Fennel
    >Onion
    >Paprika
    >Thyme

    thanks for your submission Edwin!

  15. Bill

    Bill Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 15:48:36 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Edwin Pawlowski wrote on 21 Jan 2006 in rec.food.cooking
    >

    >> "Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > Everyone's list would differ due to personal taste.
    >> >

    >> Or course they would, but I'd bet of the ten listed by everyone, five
    >> to seven would be on 85% of the listings.
    >>
    >> Black pepper
    >> Oregano
    >> Basil
    >> Rosemary
    >> Garlic
    >> Cinnamon
    >> Fennel
    >> Onion
    >> Paprika
    >> Thyme
    >>

    >I agree with black pepper but I would dump the rosemary and add celery
    >seed. Plus where is bay leaf? I think bay leaf would push fennel off the
    >list.
    >
    >But we are talking a top ten list, suggesting a ranked order. My list,
    >ranked in order of most used. Since I rarely use cinnamon (not that it
    >isn't a good tasting spice, I dropped it. I just rarely use it and only
    >for baking when I use it (which I rarely do). Bad experences with
    >Paprika (such as it had no taste) make me drop it too. I dislike
    >rosemary (too piny for my tastes).
    >
    >I prefer to make mostly fast cooking foods most days of the week, such
    >as frying and broiling. I bake rarely; hence no cinnamon, mace or
    >nutmeg. I do more adventurous cooking (takes more time) on the weekends.
    >I feel the types of cooking you do has an affect on which spices you
    >use. Notice since I don't cook Italian style meals often there is no
    >pine nuts, thyme or oregano on my list. Same with chinese style, so no
    >sesame seeds, ginger or star anise.
    >
    >The top 5 are used more readily, almost daily. The last 5 used at least
    >once a week on average. These aren't my favorites just my more often
    >used. I feel dill would be on many others' list as well. I eat and enjoy
    >celery, fennel and onion as veggies but only consider the seeds or
    >powdered versions as a spice.
    >

    >1. black pepper
    >2. garlic granulated
    >3. onion powder
    >4. celery seed
    >5. Aleppo pepper
    >6. terragon
    >7. Cumin
    >8. Mustard seed
    >9. Bay leaf
    >10. Chevril

    thank you for your submission!

  16. Bill

    Bill Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 09:02:10 -0600, "jmcquown"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Bill wrote:
    >> I plead ignorance of spices other than salt and pepper. If one was to
    >> experiment with different spices in the kitchen...what would the top
    >> ten list look like?
    >>
    >> Bill
    >>
    >> (I bet Bill Penzey could look at his computer print out and tell us
    >> the top ten...)

    >My list would be like this:
    >
    >1. parisen bonnes herbs
    >2. adobo seasoning
    >3. granulated garlic
    >4. fines herbs (for soup!)
    >5. dried tarragon leaves
    >6. dried toastsed onion flakes
    >7. dried bell pepper flakes
    >8. ground chipotle chili peppers
    >9. ground ancho chilii peppers
    >10. ground cayenne peppers

    thanks for your submission Jill

  17. Bill

    Bill Guest

    On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 08:41:56 -0500, Bill <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I plead ignorance of spices other than salt and pepper. If one was to
    >experiment with different spices in the kitchen...what would the top
    >ten list look like?
    >
    >Bill
    >
    >(I bet Bill Penzey could look at his computer print out and tell us
    >the top ten...)

    I guess the list probably varies depending on the different cuisines
    eg...Italian, Chinese, French, US Fastfoods, Greek, Indian, Mexican,
    Canadian, Russian, German, etc.

    We probably need to go to Bill Penzey to get the straight scoop but
    would he tell us? He probably would since these ten items probably
    represent the ten largest single items in his inventory...

    Bill

  18. Moriarty

    Moriarty Guest

    "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I plead ignorance of spices other than salt and pepper. If one was to
    > experiment with different spices in the kitchen...what would the top
    > ten list look like?
    >
    > Bill
    >
    > (I bet Bill Penzey could look at his computer print out and tell us
    > the top ten...)

    I might say:

    Black peppercorns
    Oregano
    Thyme
    Rosemary
    Bay leaves
    Sage
    Crushed red pepper
    Cumin
    Paprika (I like Smoked)
    Cayenne

    I personally rarely, if ever, use dried basil, parsley, garlic or onion.
    That's going to account for a lot of vartiation among lists: some people
    will only use certain things fresh.
    ..
    -T

  19. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I plead ignorance of spices other than salt and pepper. If one was to
    > experiment with different spices in the kitchen...what would the top
    > ten list look like?
    >
    > Bill
    >
    > (I bet Bill Penzey could look at his computer print out and tell us
    > the top ten...)

    It's tough to narrow it down...you should see my spice cabinet! It's
    separated into savory spices and sweet spices, which helps to keep track of
    everything even if there are some I'd use for both (like cinnamon).

    So here goes, my best guess:

    peppercorns (I use fresh ground pepper every day, I'd say--black and white
    mostly, pink for some dishes, and green least often)
    cinnamon
    celery salt
    rosemary
    sage
    paprika (both reg and smoked)
    onion powder
    lemon pepper
    oregano
    granulated garlic

    I also use fresh garlic and fresh onion, but I make alot of rubs, and use
    the granulated version of each for those.

    kimberly

  20. Kswck

    Kswck Guest

    "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I plead ignorance of spices other than salt and pepper. If one was to
    > experiment with different spices in the kitchen...what would the top
    > ten list look like?
    >
    > Bill
    >
    > (I bet Bill Penzey could look at his computer print out and tell us
    > the top ten...)

    Penzy's have sampler packs.