people and watching you ride

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by lucky_8, Feb 19, 2006.

  1. lucky_8

    lucky_8 Guest

    i ride a lot by my grandma's house and my house and every time i ride i
    have some one either stop and watch or ask me if it is hard to ride.
    Like this one little boy today stood outside for ever and watched me
    practice a few mounts and stuff. Then he went inside for a minute then
    came stright back out to watch me. I was just wondering if it happened
    to you all or if it just happened to me.

    --
    lucky_8

    One day i hope to be a professional unicyclist.
    lucky_8's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11685

  2. The Bruiser

    The Bruiser Guest

    yeah i have had people watch me. a lot of times i hear little kids yell
    comments to their friends like "WHOA look that kid is riding a
    tricycle" or "WHOA a unicycler"

    --
    The Bruiser

    lvl 3 unicyclist, move out the way haha
    The Bruiser's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11352

  3. weeble

    weeble Guest

    No, it's not just you. Riding a unicycle anywhere in public is among the
    most effective means known for drawing attention to yourself. If you on
    the unicycle, and a guy with a live stegosaurus on a leash, are both
    going through a crowded park, half of the people there will still be
    pointing at you.

    --
    weeble

    ======================
    To avoid danger of suffocation
    keep away from babies
    and small children
    ======================
    weeble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1625

  4. trials2k

    trials2k Guest

    weeble wrote:
    > No, it's not just you. Riding a unicycle anywhere in public is among the
    > most effective means known for drawing attention to yourself. If you on
    > the unicycle, and a guy with a live stegosaurus on a leash, are both
    > going through a crowded park, half of the people there will still be
    > pointing at you.

    ahahaha so true !!

    me and my mate max were riding in the city on the weekend and up ahead
    there was a street performer with a fair bit of a crowd watchin him
    with smiles!!

    and as soon as me and max came within 10 metres of him, a heap of the
    crowd turned and looked at us!!
    We then felt a little bad coz we had stolen his crowds attention so we
    immediatly got off the uni's!!

    we walked up to the show and then the guy who was doing the street
    performance was a bit of a natural funny man, so he called me and max
    over, i stayed where i was watching and max walked over, and the street
    performer gave max his juggling hats and then walked over and sat on a
    bench, intending max to finish the show for him!!

    it was hilarious, coz Max had a go at doing something and it didnt work
    so he gave up!!

    we watched the rest of the show and at the end, the street performer
    let as have a shot of his giraffe :)

    turned out a good weekend

    --
    trials2k

    One Wheel, One Foot, Why Not !!??;) **
    trials2k's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11354

  5. Jerrick

    Jerrick Guest

    This happens to me all the time, one time i was riding near a park which
    is just a mile or two away from my house, and there was a wedding
    happening, then like 5 guys ran towards me and were asking about them,
    and i let them try to ride =p

    Also, when im riding to a store, around a store, sometimes in the store
    =p at school, anywhere there are ppl i will always get ppl just having
    to double-take or just stop and watch for a while, others come up and
    ask to try it or i give them information about them so if they get
    interested enough to buy one, then i get the comments that im sure
    everyone on the forum surely knows of.

    I love riding around and noticing other ppl noticing me, makes ya all
    warm and fuzzy on the inside! lol

    --
    Jerrick

  6. harper

    harper Guest

    Yesterday we had a trials ride at Gasworks Park, the setting of some of
    the UniVerse scenes. Jim Robert's stepson, Nate, was in town. There
    were more people photographing us than I have ever seen before. Lots of
    folks asking questions, too.

    --
    harper

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

  7. monkeyman

    monkeyman Guest

    I ride with Matt (dudewithasock) at a park near his house, and we can
    always hear some "hey, it's the unicycle dudes!" as we approach, and
    then the dissapointed "look, there they go" as we leave...I think it's
    pretty funny, and pretty awesome too
    unicycling rocks

    --
    monkeyman

    Trying to think up a sig since 2/11/06
    monkeyman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11455

  8. yea i think every unicyclist evan ones just starting get some typ of
    comment

    i myself have been rideing for almost 3 years now

    and i have heard almost everything like i remember little kids tell
    there parent "look a tricycle!" (some times parents to kids)

    but i thought i had everything untill about 2 weeks ago i was rideing
    to the store to get soem pop and on the way back this woman pulled over
    jumped out and said" he i probably look like a total lunitic", (i said
    yea...)" but i work at the renesonce fair in 9 mile(spokane washington)
    and im incharge of the kids department"... "would u like a job to ride
    around and entertain kids...?"

    now has anybody ever pulled u over and offered u a job right there on
    the spot..?

    --
    Mike The Uni Man
    Mike The Uni Man's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11729

  9. monkeyman

    monkeyman Guest

  10. monkeyman

    monkeyman Guest

  11. underdog

    underdog Guest

    weeble wrote:
    > If you on the unicycle, and a guy with a live stegosaurus on a leash,
    > are both going through a crowded park, half of the people there will
    > still be pointing at you.

    Things that are rare and unusual really do get a lot of extra
    attention. It's been literally months since I've seen anyone with a
    live stegosaurus on a leash:p

    --
    underdog

    'I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody
    tell you different' - Kurt Vonnegut
    underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197

  12. monkeyman

    monkeyman Guest

    underdog wrote:
    > Things that are rare and unusual really do get a lot of extra attention.
    > It's been literally months since I've seen anyone with a live
    > stegosaurus on a leash:p

    They're everywhere in Texas...it's becoming a problem
    Destroying all the plants and such

    --
    monkeyman

    Trying to think up a sig since 2/11/06
    monkeyman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11455

  13. Benjy

    Benjy Guest

    I've been unicycling properly for all of two weeks now, and even at the
    stage of just being able to ride it and only being able to free-mount
    the odd time; people still are intrigued. It's a great feeling and I
    hope that when I get better, the reactions will get better aswell.

    --
    Benjy
    Benjy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11714

  14. weeble

    weeble Guest

    James_Potter wrote:
    > ohhh yes. more than once I've been riding my coker down the sidewalk,
    > and a car literally slows down and drives along side me at about 10
    > miles per hour for a minute. it was very akward.

    Heh, that happens to me sometimes too, though I'm just on my 29. Kind
    of unnerving.

    --
    weeble

    ======================
    To avoid danger of suffocation
    keep away from babies
    and small children
    ======================
    weeble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1625

  15. lleberg

    lleberg Guest

    We had a small unicycling gathering (2 people!) yesterday, both had a
    day of school, and met for the first time to ride!

    Both of us had a few tries of jumping down "apberget"
    [image:
    http://static.apberget.se/images/p/g/a33/a333a1272234e8cab7fc9a4cd5a0e9f8.jpg]
    Niklas and not me in the picture.. not the blood-donating bus in the
    background!
    And we had quite a few people staying and watching..
    An old lady said to her fellow-old lady "That will never go!" I jumped
    down it, rode in a nice circle around them and said quietly "Sure it
    will.."

    But that was the only bad-person we met, lots of people were interested
    and nice! :)

    --
    lleberg

    I <3 my unicycle!
    lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272

  16. Eddbmxdude

    Eddbmxdude Guest

    I know what you mean!
    [image:
    http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery2/..._GALLERYSID=32d61509ecf868e6fd3fdcff575bda87]
    The guy standing on the left in this picture, followed us round all
    day! We practically had to ask him to leave us alone!

    --
    Eddbmxdude

    Why Use two wheels when one is twice as good?

    Its like England here....... Iv never seen so much sun!

    If quizz's are quizzical, what are tests?
    Eddbmxdude's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11584

  17. trials2k

    trials2k Guest

    ahahah wen me and my mate max were ridin in the city on the weekend..
    wen we found a good place to have a session, max being the rolling
    hopper (street rider) me being the sif hopper (trials rider) we had
    many asian tourists or ppl passing thru with cameras stopping and
    full-on taking pictures like paparazzi !!!

    at one point we were riding along and a group of italian guys in there
    20-30's asked us to give them a demo, and then they filmed it all and
    clapped and were very happy.!!

    --
    trials2k

    One Wheel, One Foot, Why Not !!??;) **