People ever scream at you for nothing?

While in city i have the same problem. But it is the question of manners and decorum. Here in Serbia people are to nervous because they have no money and jobs. I get that, i am in the same situation but while riding my bike in the city i never break rules of traffic. They get angry because they have to wait 5 seconds more for me. Well, i am sorry but i am using my legs to move. I don't care about that at all so i just roll with it. It happened to me only once, when the red light was on the traffic lights. I was the first one and behind me two large buses. The guy from the left lane opened the window of his car and shook my hand. He told me it is rare that people on bicycles ride like this. They usually just go over pedestrian walks, make short cuts, etc.. This was only once. Usually we all get the finger.

Over the years I've been called all the names under the sun as a cyclist as especially in the roads of the town's and cities over here in the UK, were not that welcome.

I'll either laugh it off or I'll give as good as I get. Sometimes the car drivers dint expect to get shouted back at and it soon shuts them up!

I don't know why some people are so aggressive towards cyclists. I've definitely had people scream at me when I know I haven't given them any reason to, but with them speeding by in a car it's hard to make out the words so to me it always sounds like random noise. It gives me a bit of satisfaction to know that I can't actually hear whatever insult they're trying to hurl at me :p

What I really hate is when people throw things. I don't know if I just cycle in some really unfriendly places, but on several occasions people have pitched drink containers or garbage at me...I just try to ignore it but it makes me a bit jumpy sometimes when I'm commuting.

I have come to the conclusion that it is safer to be gung ho off-road than to ride carefully on city streets. Nine days ago I pulled off of a bike trail, through a park and onto a little dead-end industrial road where the asphalt is almost gone. Since the right side of the road was a large puddle I was riding to the right of center when a Hispanic kid came around the corner saw me and aimed directly at me swerving aside at the last second. After he passed me and saw me turn around he realized he had no way to escape. Luckily for him that the people I was with made me turn around and go with them again. Then not 5 minutes later another Hispanic did EXACTLY the same thing to another person in the group who was not only in a bike lane but we were in a town where half the cops including the chief ride bicycles. As do a large number of the firemen.

I am of mixed emotions about dealing with these people. If you call the cops and report them NOTHING at all happens. There were three witnesses this last time for both cases. But even the bike riding cops won't do anything.

In another local town I walked by some cops blocking a narrow one way street while chewing out some kid for riding on the sidewalk when he had just pulled up to wait at the bus stop for the college shuttle. And two cops on bicycles rode by on bicycle patrol on the sidewalk.

In San Francisco the city council almost 100% passed a regulation that cyclists could treat Stop signs as Yield signs. As we all know this is what most cyclists do anyway because it it safer to proceed when safe than to stop and un-clip and then try to clip in while moving very slowly across a busy street. But the Mayor has promised to veto it. This despite the fact that in San Francisco if you roll a Stop sign in a car at less than 5 mph the cops AND THE COURTS leave you alone.

As someone said - California Normal.

Over the years I've been called all the names under the sun as a cyclist as especially in the roads of the town's and cities over here in the UK, were not that welcome.

I'll either laugh it off or I'll give as good as I get. Sometimes the car drivers dint expect to get shouted back at and it soon shuts them up!

I've found the drivers more likely to give you hassle are the BMW, Audi, and white van drivers. Also some of the "boy racers" can give hassle as well while they try to show off to the girl they have in their cars. I had a guy in a new Audi nearly knock me into the pavement the other day while trying to get in front of me before the road narrowed.

I have been in many situations in which almost the all a car driver has got angry for me without reason. I followed the rules but still some people are not comfortable with it.

I have been in many situations in which almost the all a car driver has got angry for me without reason. I followed the rules but still some people are not comfortable with it.
Maybe it's a type of defence mechanism, as in they know they screwed up and could have caused an accident but then try to save their pride by having a go?

Just a thought.