People ever scream at you for nothing?

Cycler6n

Jan 5, 2007
I was riding with my dad, in a small town. We rode on a freshly paved street, and nice climb, and a couple other nice long roads. There was a celbration at that town that day, so a lot of cars. There were cars parked on the side of the road, so we rode like 3-4 feet to the side of them just in case one popped its door open, staying out of the way of traffic. Of coarse, one of those ridiculous punks in a rusty honda with really loud music playing, blares his horn at us, not a "I'm in back of you' honk, but a ten second, laying on the horn, "I think I'm cool, get out of my way" honk. Then he flew by us, doin like 20 miles per hour over the speed limit. Whatever. Then a women in a minivan lays on the horn even longer, screaming out the window about for us to get out of the way, get on the sidewalk, or further on the side of the road, or something, couldn't hear her, we were going to fast. Funny part is, there was no on coming traffic, they could have easily pulled a little over to the other side, and passed us, without making a big deal of it. People don't get, road bike don't go on sidewalks loaded with people, or near cars with people getting out of them. People ever do this to you?

Nope, never happened to me.

Blatant Advertisement: New York City Bridge for sale, lightly used!:D

Wait till you get a gf or wife. Then you'll really see people screaming at you for nothing.

On the other hand, retards in cars do this all the time. I'm thinking that when this happens, you should call the police to report an impaired driver - what else could explain their behaviour?

Reactions: cyclintom
alienator said:
It took cycling to teach you that?
It's just that in most society you generally are not the victim of unprovoked assholery like you are while cycling on the road.

Hmm - ever drive a car ? Lots of bad behavior there as well - more than screaming.

Funny thing happened on our vacation a couple weeks ago- 3 of us were biking in the morning for our 25 mile daily ride -- some numbscull cruises by us in a pick up and the passenger screams out "Get off the road!!" - even though we were in the well marked biking lane. Seems as though , as you might expect from the probable IQ of someone that would do that, he didn't realize we were all coming to a stop at the same intersection only 100 feet ahead. While we were waiting for the traffic to pass together I asked through his open window if he had something else to say. Total silence. Acted as though we weren't even there and seemed pretty embarassed. Young kid/idiot.
I think some people in general are just bold and do stupid things when they think they are anonymous or only meet you for a fleeting moment on the street - whether you are in a car or a bike. People throw things at you too. Have had friends beaned by glass bottles, etc. Some people are just truly idiots. Only advice - ride defensively.

George

Reactions: cyclintom
Cycler6n said:
I was riding with my dad, in a small town. We rode on a freshly paved street, and nice climb, and a couple other nice long roads. There was a celbration at that town that day, so a lot of cars. There were cars parked on the side of the road, so we rode like 3-4 feet to the side of them just in case one popped its door open, staying out of the way of traffic. Of coarse, one of those ridiculous punks in a rusty honda with really loud music playing, blares his horn at us, not a "I'm in back of you' honk, but a ten second, laying on the horn, "I think I'm cool, get out of my way" honk. Then he flew by us, doin like 20 miles per hour over the speed limit. Whatever. Then a women in a minivan lays on the horn even longer, screaming out the window about for us to get out of the way, get on the sidewalk, or further on the side of the road, or something, couldn't hear her, we were going to fast. Funny part is, there was no on coming traffic, they could have easily pulled a little over to the other side, and passed us, without making a big deal of it. People don't get, road bike don't go on sidewalks loaded with people, or near cars with people getting out of them. People ever do this to you?
Ok, In California this is known as Normal! I was riding one time and a car swerved close to me going in the same direction. A guy in the pasanger seat through a beer bottle out the window and hit me in the back just below my neck. The car was going about 70. It hurt so bad I thought my spine was damaged. I crashed in a ditch. There was liquid all over me. I realized later that it was pee! My back was sore for over a month. Not one car stopped to see If I needed help.

surfrider said:
Ok, In California this is known as Normal! I was riding one time and a car swerved close to me going in the same direction. A guy in the pasanger seat through a beer bottle out the window and hit me in the back just below my neck. The car was going about 70. It hurt so bad I thought my spine was damaged. I crashed in a ditch. There was liquid all over me. I realized later that it was pee! My back was sore for over a month. Not one car stopped to see If I needed help.

I wouldn't stop to see if you needed help, either, if you were soaked in pee. No one likes talking to people who smell like pee.
:D

Yojimbo_ said:
Wait till you get a gf or wife. Then you'll really see people screaming at you for nothing.
Wait until you get a PREGNANT gf or wife.

Some crazy pregnant woman who looks just like my wife appears to have kidnapped her and is attempting to take her place.

surfrider said:
It's normal here too, it just really annoys me!

alienator said:
I wouldn't stop to see if you needed help, either, if you were soaked in pee. No one likes talking to people who smell like pee.
:D
Yeah, well the taste was a heck of a lot worse than the smell!

Wow . . .

Just . . . wow. It worries me to think that people like that exist. I guess I'm lucky to say that the worst was some idiot highschoolers yelling out "cyclists are gay!" a couple weeks ago.

(If I were quicker of wit, I would have done my flawless Mr. Slave impersonation ;).)

Gum and drinks have been thrown at me, I have been hit, I have been hit and then scolded, I have been hit and apologized to, I have been arrested, I have had to walk several miles without being pickes up (probably the spandex). People screaming at me is a god send compared to what is possible. Something about people who drive cars versus people who ride bikes, they just dont think either belongs on the road. Most, if not all states regard cyclists and cars as equal, they are held to the same laws. I think it also depends on where you are riding. City dwellers hate cyclists, mainly because of courier, they are crazy. Rural dwellers have to deal with the uneducated. In this case, you will probably be yelled at regardless. This is my experience having lived in both Chicago, Denver and the surrounding areas. Bottom line is drivers and cyclists have responsisbilites, and in most cases one, the other, or both are guilty of something (usually the car tho :)).

-be careful out there

Alright......

I've been yelled at; chased; chased off the road--4 or 5 times one day by the same car; smacked with a hand; hit with cans, bottles, and food products; spit upon; and this past spring I had a hand surgically repaired as result of having a full soda bottle hit my hand at about 50 mph after it was thrown out of a car last November.

The way I look at things, though, is that somethin' ain't fun iffin' it can't possibly kill you or at least give you a disfiguring scar.

Just getting back into cycling, so I haven't given people much of an opportunity yet.. The other day, though, I was headed up a rather large hill on a rough county road, picking my way around the rocks/chunks of asphalt when a rock truck came screaming by with very little room to spare. The truckers around here are horrible, they have no courtesy at all for cyclists.

alienator said:
Alright......

I've been yelled at; chased; chased off the road--4 or 5 times one day by the same car; smacked with a hand; hit with cans, bottles, and food products; spit upon; and this past spring I had a hand surgically repaired as result of having a full soda bottle hit my hand at about 50 mph after it was thrown out of a car last November.

The way I look at things, though, is that somethin' ain't fun iffin' it can't possibly kill you or at least give you a disfiguring scar.
One word, wow.