Pepper spray?

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Harold Buck, Nov 16, 2003.

  1. Harold Buck

    Harold Buck Guest

    Does anyone carry pepper spray when they're running? I've been chased by (small) dogs in my new
    negihborhood a few times lately and done the "suddenly turn around and run at them while makig
    noise" thing, but I'm wondering if it makes sense to carry some pepper spray in case chased by a dog
    that doesn't scare away as easily.

    Has anyone had to use it? How well does it work?

    --Harold Buck

    - Homer J. Simpson

    Tags:

  2. Augustin

    Augustin Guest

    I lived in a warehouse up until a few months ago. Needless to say, I did all my running in an
    industrial area where fenced guard dogs pretty much owned the district after dark (my favorite time
    to run). To keep my panic attacks to a minimum, I always carried either pepper spray or a good,
    reliable folding knife -- usually a knife. Same goes for some small towns in Europe where dog packs
    literally rule after dark.

    I preferred a knife as I wouldn't have to worry about wind conditions, aim, or a demented animal
    that didn't care about spray. You're the one that knows what sort of dogs are in your neighborhood,
    but I can tell you that spray is nothing more than a deterrent... though, it will work well enough
    for most domestic dogs.

    Augustin

    Harold Buck wrote:
    > Does anyone carry pepper spray when they're running? I've been chased by (small) dogs in my new
    > negihborhood a few times lately and done the "suddenly turn around and run at them while makig
    > noise" thing, but I'm wondering if it makes sense to carry some pepper spray in case chased by a
    > dog that doesn't scare away as easily.
    >
    > Has anyone had to use it? How well does it work?
    >
    > --Harold Buck
    >

    > "I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."
    >
    > - Homer J. Simpson

  3. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    I carry pepper spray when I commute by bike but this is mostly in case PEOPLE hassle me.....

    I have never had to spray anyone, but have been threatened a couple of times. It is not an
    especially BAD part of town, but it is NOT a bike friendly town.

    dogs I can usually out-sprint, but crappy old cars driven by white trash are entirely another matter

    Harold Buck <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Does anyone carry pepper spray when they're running? I've been chased by (small) dogs in my new
    > negihborhood a few times lately and done the "suddenly turn around and run at them while makig
    > noise" thing, but I'm wondering if it makes sense to carry some pepper spray in case chased by a
    > dog that doesn't scare away as easily.
    >
    > Has anyone had to use it? How well does it work?
    >
    > --Harold Buck
    >

    > "I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."
    >
    > - Homer J. Simpson

  4. Witheld

    Witheld Guest

    "Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone carry pepper spray when they're running? Has anyone had to use it? How well does
    > it work?
    >
    > --Harold Buck

    Suggestion: Check the laws in your state. For instance, in Georgia, pepper spray is legal; in
    Wisconsin - - not.

    There are other products that are not that cayenne derivative ("pepper"), CN or CS tear gas - - but
    it is impossible to stay on top of what is legal where - - unless you actually live there. I'm not
    sure what is in "Halt".

    I also recommend contacting the owner. Otherwise, you end up with a reaction like, "Why in the world
    would some jerk want to poison a defenseless animal like 'Fluffy'?" scenario. If the potential
    confrontation bothers you, do it by mail and send a copy to the county animal control department.

    Eventually, you want to turn this into the owner's problem - - not yours - - not the dog's.

    rsquared

  5. Kevin Draper

    Kevin Draper Guest

    what is it with people in cars when they see someone on a bike...I cycle with my daughter (she's
    training for her first tri) to school - about 3 miles - I've found a route that is mostly on quiet
    side roads but at one point involves crossing a busy road. We both get off to push across. Twice
    this week motorists have actually sped up towards us blaring their horns - intimidating a 7 year
    old, they must feel proud of themselves. I might add that this busy road is in a 30mph zone - but
    there are no crossing or pedestrian lights on it at all. I think she finds it difficult to
    understand why people behave in this way :-(

    Kevin.

  6. Kevin Draper wrote:
    > what is it with people in cars when they see someone on a bike...I cycle with my daughter (she's
    > training for her first tri) to school - about 3 miles - I've found a route that is mostly on quiet
    > side roads but at one point involves crossing a busy road. We both get off to push across. Twice
    > this week motorists have actually sped up towards us blaring their horns - intimidating a 7 year
    > old, they must feel proud of themselves. I might add that this busy road is in a 30mph zone - but
    > there are no crossing or pedestrian lights on it at all. I think she finds it difficult to
    > understand why people behave in this way :-(

    People are idiots. This is my philosophy, and to date, I have found that it pretty much explains the
    actions of most people quite accurately.

    You see, most people (including most people actually on bicycles, sadly) are unaware that bicycles
    are vehicles under the motor vehicle laws of most Western countries. This leads to shouted
    suggestions that we 'Get back on the sidewalk where you belong', or 'You're riding the wrong way'
    (when riding with the traffic).

    All you can do is ride defensively and try to be ready for the next stupid thing the drivers
    decide to do.

    --

    Cheers,

    Walter R. Strapps, Ph.D

    "The sheer closeness of our two countries and the intensity of our mutual interaction combined with
    the disparity between us in terms of wealth and power--all these things guarantee there will be
    problems in U.S.-Canadian relations without anybody having to do anything to deliberately worsen the
    situation."

    Robert L. Stanfield, Oct. 28, 1971

  7. Harold Buck

    Harold Buck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Walter R. Strapps" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > People are idiots. This is my philosophy, and to date, I have found that it pretty much explains
    > the actions of most people quite accurately.

    Don't confuse a "fact" with a "philosophy."

    --Harold Buck

    - Homer J. Simpson