Pepper Steak

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by ~patches~, Apr 3, 2006.

  1. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Enjoy :)

    1 boneless top round steak [about 1 lb, 1" thick]
    1/3 c corn starch
    1 c uncooked long grain rice
    1/2 c vegetable oil
    1 c water
    3 med. green peppers, cut into strips
    3 med. onions, sliced
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1/2 c soy sauce

    Cut meat into 1/4" slices. Toss with cornstarch until well-coated.
    Start cooking rice following label directions. Saute meat a few slices
    at a time in 1/4 c of the oil in a large skillet until browned. Place
    on warm platter. Saute peppers, onions and garlic in remain oil in
    skillet until tender. Return meat to skillet. Stir in soy sauce and
    water. Continue cooking, stirring until sauce thickens. Serve over hot
    cooked rice.

    --
    A two faced, low-life, sorry excuse for a person, posting on
    rec.food.cooking steals other posters' pics posing them as their own.

    Tags:

  2. jay

    jay Guest

    On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 08:54:29 -0400, ~patches~ wrote:

    > Enjoy :)

    <recipe>

    Looks good ..james may like this too. Who is james?

  3. J

    J Guest

    ~patches~ <[email protected]> wrote:
    > 1 boneless top round steak [about 1 lb, 1" thick]
    > 1/3 c corn starch
    > 1 c uncooked long grain rice
    > 1/2 c vegetable oil
    > 1 c water
    > 3 med. green peppers, cut into strips
    > 3 med. onions, sliced
    > 2 cloves garlic, crushed
    > 1/2 c soy sauce

    > Cut meat into 1/4" slices. Toss with cornstarch until well-coated.
    > Start cooking rice following label directions. Saute meat a few slices
    > at a time in 1/4 c of the oil in a large skillet until browned. Place
    > on warm platter. Saute peppers, onions and garlic in remain oil in
    > skillet until tender. Return meat to skillet. Stir in soy sauce and
    > water. Continue cooking, stirring until sauce thickens. Serve over hot
    > cooked rice.

    I made something like this last night, but with only 1/2lb of beef,
    to make just 2 servings. I changed up the veggie mix a bit. I used...
    1 red onion
    1 orange bell pepper
    6 jalapeno peppers (3 red, 3 green)
    2 serrano peppers
    2 habanero peppers
    8 garlic cloves
    2 tablespoons fresh ginger

    I also used Thai fish sauce instead of soy sauce. It was very colorful,
    and moderately hot (spicy).

    I add the serranos because they seem generate heat at the back of one's
    throat, while the habanero heat is more in the middle of one's tongue.

  4. AC

    AC Guest

    ~patches~ wrote:

    > Enjoy :)
    >
    > 1 boneless top round steak [about 1 lb, 1" thick]
    > 1/3 c corn starch
    > 1 c uncooked long grain rice
    > 1/2 c vegetable oil
    > 1 c water
    > 3 med. green peppers, cut into strips
    > 3 med. onions, sliced
    > 2 cloves garlic, crushed
    > 1/2 c soy sauce
    >
    > Cut meat into 1/4" slices. Toss with cornstarch until well-coated.
    > Start cooking rice following label directions. Saute meat a few slices
    > at a time in 1/4 c of the oil in a large skillet until browned. Place
    > on warm platter. Saute peppers, onions and garlic in remain oil in
    > skillet until tender. Return meat to skillet. Stir in soy sauce and
    > water. Continue cooking, stirring until sauce thickens. Serve over hot
    > cooked rice.

    OMG!!!!! PATCHES STOLE THIS RECIPE FROM THE INTERNET!!

    http://www.geocities.com/p_bastian/meats.html

    scroll down to #11 and you'll find the recipe word for word. what do you have
    to say for yourself now patches?! thief!

  5. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    AC wrote:

    > ~patches~ wrote:
    >

    >>Enjoy :)
    >>
    >>1 boneless top round steak [about 1 lb, 1" thick]
    >>1/3 c corn starch
    >>1 c uncooked long grain rice
    >>1/2 c vegetable oil
    >>1 c water
    >>3 med. green peppers, cut into strips
    >>3 med. onions, sliced
    >>2 cloves garlic, crushed
    >>1/2 c soy sauce
    >>
    >>Cut meat into 1/4" slices. Toss with cornstarch until well-coated.
    >>Start cooking rice following label directions. Saute meat a few slices
    >>at a time in 1/4 c of the oil in a large skillet until browned. Place
    >>on warm platter. Saute peppers, onions and garlic in remain oil in
    >>skillet until tender. Return meat to skillet. Stir in soy sauce and
    >>water. Continue cooking, stirring until sauce thickens. Serve over hot
    >>cooked rice.

    > OMG!!!!! PATCHES STOLE THIS RECIPE FROM THE INTERNET!!
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/p_bastian/meats.html
    >
    > scroll down to #11 and you'll find the recipe word for word. what do you have
    > to say for yourself now patches?! thief!

    I did not steal this recipe from the internet. I've had it for years to
    the point the piece of paper it's on has turned yellow. I would post a
    pic of the recipe written in my own handwriting but the two faced poster
    would likely steal that too. Maybe I should post it anyways complete
    with a watermark so some here don't think I'm lying! I have no idea
    where I got the recipe from otherwise I would have given credit where
    credit is due. I did have this particular recipe on my website a number
    of years ago but I haven't maintained that website for several years. I
    know I posted it to the recipe ng too and can cite the date with
    original post. Perhaps the person who posted it to your link actually
    got it from my website or the recipe ng. <shrug> Not a problem as IMO
    recipes are not copyrightable which is why I don't mind posting recipes
    here or anywhere else.

    --
    There is a thief amongst us who likes to steal other posters pics and
    post them as their own. This constitutes copyright infringement and

  6. -L.

    -L. Guest

    AC wrote:

    > OMG!!!!! PATCHES STOLE THIS RECIPE FROM THE INTERNET!!
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/p_bastian/meats.html
    >
    > scroll down to #11 and you'll find the recipe word for word. what do you have
    > to say for yourself now patches?! thief!

    What a freaking moron. If this doesn't get her ignored, I don't know
    what will...
    -L.

  7. aem

    aem Guest

    -L. wrote:
    > AC wrote:
    > >
    > > OMG!!!!! PATCHES STOLE THIS RECIPE FROM THE INTERNET!!
    > >
    > > http://www.geocities.com/p_bastian/meats.html
    > >
    > > scroll down to #11 and you'll find the recipe word for word. what do you have
    > > to say for yourself now patches?! thief!

    > What a freaking moron. If this doesn't get her ignored, I don't know
    > what will...
    > -L.

    That might actually be her web page. I scanned several recipes in
    different sections and they are all crap. The wrong cheap ingredients,
    not a word about technique or method, nothing you couldn't get at your
    local greasy spoon. Just like the stuff she posts here. -aem

  8. ~patches~ wrote:

    > Enjoy :)
    >
    > 1 boneless top round steak [about 1 lb, 1" thick]
    > 1/3 c corn starch
    > 1 c uncooked long grain rice
    > 1/2 c vegetable oil
    > 1 c water
    > 3 med. green peppers, cut into strips
    > 3 med. onions, sliced
    > 2 cloves garlic, crushed
    > 1/2 c soy sauce
    >
    > Cut meat into 1/4" slices. Toss with cornstarch until well-coated.
    > Start cooking rice following label directions. Saute meat a few slices
    > at a time in 1/4 c of the oil in a large skillet until browned. Place
    > on warm platter. Saute peppers, onions and garlic in remain oil in
    > skillet until tender. Return meat to skillet. Stir in soy sauce and
    > water. Continue cooking, stirring until sauce thickens. Serve over hot
    > cooked rice.

    Patches:

    Your recipie made me want to buy some beef for dinner tonight. Think i
    will make the following, as i had my favorite chicken fried steak just a
    week ago. The following is a 'faux' Mexican dish "Tex - Mex" at best
    but i like it a lot.

    Steak Ranchero
    --------------
    1/4 cup butter or margerine or cooking oil (no olive oil!)

    1/4 cup canola oil

    2 pounds beef flank steak, cut into 1/2 inch cubes

    1 onion, sliced crosswise

    4 garlic cloves, minced

    2 fresh jalapeno chiles, sliced crosswise

    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

    3 tomatoes, cut into wedges

    1 red or green bell pepper, diced

    1 tsp ground cumin

    Cooked rice to serve

    Corn tortillas, warmed to serve

    Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add steak,
    onion, garlic and chiles. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes
    or until steak is lightly browned, but still rare in center. Add
    cilantro, tomatoes, bell pepper and cumin and cook 2 or 3 minutes or
    until bell pepper is softened. Serve with brown rice and flour
    tortillas. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
    ---
    JL

  9. Serene

    Serene Guest

  10. Joseph Littleshoes wrote:

    > ~patches~ wrote:
    >
    >> Enjoy :)
    >>
    >> 1 boneless top round steak [about 1 lb, 1" thick]
    >> 1/3 c corn starch
    >> 1 c uncooked long grain rice
    >> 1/2 c vegetable oil
    >> 1 c water
    >> 3 med. green peppers, cut into strips
    >> 3 med. onions, sliced
    >> 2 cloves garlic, crushed
    >> 1/2 c soy sauce
    >>
    >> Cut meat into 1/4" slices. Toss with cornstarch until well-coated.
    >> Start cooking rice following label directions. Saute meat a few
    >> slices at a time in 1/4 c of the oil in a large skillet until
    >> browned. Place on warm platter. Saute peppers, onions and garlic in
    >> remain oil in skillet until tender. Return meat to skillet. Stir in
    >> soy sauce and water. Continue cooking, stirring until sauce
    >> thickens. Serve over hot cooked rice.
    >>

    > Patches:
    >
    > Your recipie made me want to buy some beef for dinner tonight. Think i
    > will make the following, as i had my favorite chicken fried steak just a
    > week ago. The following is a 'faux' Mexican dish "Tex - Mex" at best
    > but i like it a lot.

    Ooops... copied the recipe from file, i have altered it according to
    something told me at a local Mexican restaurant. I set the steak to
    brown in oil, then drain & simmer in a couple of cups of tomato sauce
    for a hour or two till the steak is fork tender. Then add all the
    seasonings and simmer for 10 - 15 more minutes till the peppers are
    tender. By slicing the steak very thin the following recipe will work
    just fine, but i like to use the big cubes of steak and they really need
    to be simmered to tenderize.

    > Steak Ranchero
    > --------------
    > 1/4 cup butter or margerine or cooking oil (no olive oil!)
    >
    > 1/4 cup canola oil
    >
    > 2 pounds beef flank steak, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
    >
    > 1 onion, sliced crosswise
    >
    > 4 garlic cloves, minced
    >
    > 2 fresh jalapeno chiles, sliced crosswise
    >
    > 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    >
    > 3 tomatoes, cut into wedges
    >
    > 1 red or green bell pepper, diced
    >
    > 1 tsp ground cumin
    >
    > Cooked rice to serve
    >
    > Corn tortillas, warmed to serve
    >
    > Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add steak,
    > onion, garlic and chiles. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes
    > or until steak is lightly browned, but still rare in center. Add
    > cilantro, tomatoes, bell pepper and cumin and cook 2 or 3 minutes or
    > until bell pepper is softened. Serve with brown rice and flour
    > tortillas. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
    > ---
    > JL

  11. jay

    jay Guest

    On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 15:35:03 -0700, Serene wrote:

    > On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 12:28:29 -0400, "AC" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>OMG!!!!! PATCHES STOLE THIS RECIPE FROM THE INTERNET!!
    >>
    >>http://www.geocities.com/p_bastian/meats.html
    >>
    >>scroll down to #11 and you'll find the recipe word for word. what do you have
    >>to say for yourself now patches?! thief!

    > Do we know Patches isn't "Pat", the owner of the site?
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/p_bastian/page2.html
    >
    > serene, home sick and bored

    OMG .. the absolute worst web site ever. I went half blind looking at
    that thing for 30 seconds. .)

  12. Serene wrote:

    > On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 12:28:29 -0400, "AC" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>OMG!!!!! PATCHES STOLE THIS RECIPE FROM THE INTERNET!!
    >>
    >>http://www.geocities.com/p_bastian/meats.html
    >>
    >>scroll down to #11 and you'll find the recipe word for word. what do you have
    >>to say for yourself now patches?! thief!

    > Do we know Patches isn't "Pat", the owner of the site?
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/p_bastian/page2.html
    >
    > serene, home sick and bored

    My recipe for Steak Ranchero is from the web also, i changed a few
    things to suit my taste but, couldn't find a recipe in a cook book but
    found a recipe that came very close to what i have had in Mexican
    restaurants as "Steak Ranchero" on a web site and i posted it.

    In the web version the recipe calls for 'olive oil' :( to saute the
    onions and garlic.
    ---
    JL

  13. -L.

    -L. Guest

    Serene wrote:
    > On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 12:28:29 -0400, "AC" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >OMG!!!!! PATCHES STOLE THIS RECIPE FROM THE INTERNET!!
    > >
    > >http://www.geocities.com/p_bastian/meats.html
    > >
    > >scroll down to #11 and you'll find the recipe word for word. what do you have
    > >to say for yourself now patches?! thief!

    > Do we know Patches isn't "Pat", the owner of the site?
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/p_bastian/page2.html

    She claims to be from Ontario - Pat Bastian is a lesbian from Texas.
    Yup, it's her.

    -L.

  14. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2006-04-03, -L. <[email protected]> wrote:

    > She claims to be from Ontario - Pat Bastian is a lesbian from Texas.
    > Yup, it's her.

    ROFLMAO!!

    (gimme some vodka for my ginger ale! :)

    nb

  15. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    -L. wrote:

    > Serene wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 12:28:29 -0400, "AC" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>OMG!!!!! PATCHES STOLE THIS RECIPE FROM THE INTERNET!!
    >>>
    >>>http://www.geocities.com/p_bastian/meats.html
    >>>
    >>>scroll down to #11 and you'll find the recipe word for word. what do you have
    >>>to say for yourself now patches?! thief!

    >>Do we know Patches isn't "Pat", the owner of the site?
    >>
    >>http://www.geocities.com/p_bastian/page2.html

    > She claims to be from Ontario - Pat Bastian is a lesbian from Texas.
    > Yup, it's her.
    >
    > -L.

    Isn't that libel? Accusing someone of being a lesbian when they aren't?
    Tsk tsk, no cookie for you ;)

    --
    There is a thief amongst us who likes to steal other posters pics and
    post them as their own. This constitutes copyright infringement and
    theft of intellectual property. This is contrary to DMCA of 1998
    punishable by law. The same thief likes to harass other posters and is
    an internet stalker. This thief likes to use intimidation to harass
    other posters on rfc.

  16. AC

    AC Guest

    ~patches~ wrote:

    > -L. wrote:
    >
    > > Serene wrote:

    have

    > >>Do we know Patches isn't "Pat", the owner of the site?
    > >>
    > >>http://www.geocities.com/p_bastian/page2.html

    > > She claims to be from Ontario - Pat Bastian is a lesbian from Texas.
    > > Yup, it's her.
    > >
    > > -L.
    > >

    > Isn't that libel? Accusing someone of being a lesbian when they aren't?
    > Tsk tsk, no cookie for you ;)

    isn't that snarky sarcasm? oh wait, it probably escaped you.

  17. jake

    jake Guest

    > Isn't that libel? Accusing someone of being a lesbian when they aren't?
    > Tsk tsk, no cookie for you ;)

    If someone would call me a lesbian, I wouldn't take that as accusatory.
    Although some tones can be accusatory.

    One way or another, I took -L's comment as factual (didnt check for
    facts on the website in question, because who knows what's true on the
    Internet anyway).