PER Bike to work breakfast

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by gumby, Mar 9, 2006.

  1. gumby

    gumby Guest

    Beaut ride in on DeF's fixie. Lights flashing, no traffic but the
    increasing number of velos rapide. Got to Supreme Court at 6am, great
    fresh brekky, toasted muffins, eggs and mushrooms, yum, fruit, coffee
    juice, great
    Bikes to win in comps, massage, chatting with BTA folk, DPI, anyone
    with cycling clothing.
    How good was it? Great atmos, prolly about a couple of thousand at any
    one time, I stayed until 7.45, enough to get a free water bottle,
    muffins for morning tea, juice for arvo tea, fruit for lunch, stocked
    up.
    A-B ers, saw Byron27, chilling prior to his TT exertions on Sunday in
    the Sate Champs. DeF was having a shower when I phoned his mobile, so
    he wasnt coming.
    Any other a-b ers there?

    Riding back to work west on Wellington St, Lights at the Freeway
    overpass, I gently leaned on a turbo-diesel MIss Bitchy SUV thing with
    lots of silver bling, one passenger (the driver) windows shooshes down,
    bloke turns around and says "You alright mate?"
    "yes thanks"
    "Get off the car"
    "I'm not doing anything to it calm down"
    shoosh goes the window
    "Huh?"
    He drags off in a blast of diesel smoke. To next set of red lights 150m
    away.
    I cruise past, over the traffic islands, onto the bike path and gone
    with a wave, byeee!
    There is no getting through to some people.
    Steven

    Tags:

  2. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    Eggs. All gone when I got there to meet my work colleagues at 7:15. There were just leaflets on the table extolling the virtues of eggs when I got there. Cruelty. Bum.

    By 7.15 they were rationing the grilled mushrooms - 2 each.

    Previously, bike bottles were handed out to everyone. This year they were redeemable for the vouchers which were slipped into some but not all the showbags that were handed out. My show bag didn't contain a voucher. Bum.

    Still, ride in was good (from South Perth, started alone, ended up with 9 riders in a group), breakfast was good (toated muffin with mushies, blueberry muffin, yoghurt, juice, fruit and coffee), company at breakfast was good, ride to work was good.

    Best of all was the announcement that if the green four wheel drive that was blocking the laneway behind the Supreme Court was not moved, the semi trailer that could not get through would drive right over the top of it. There were a few cheers for that one.

    SteveA

  3. gumby

    gumby Guest

    Guilty of overconsumption of shrooms. Sorry.
    I didnt get a voucher for a bottle in my bag, so I went back to the
    entrance and found a bag that had one!
    That Subaru was def there when I arrived at 6am, maybe a court worker
    doing overtime?
    Steven

  4. DeF

    DeF Guest

    gumby wrote:
    > Beaut ride in on DeF's fixie. Lights flashing, no traffic but the
    > increasing number of velos rapide. Got to Supreme Court at 6am, great

    < SNIP >

    > Steven

    Buggar. Sounds like it was fun. I was up for it although
    it would have been a major detour and I would need someone
    to take over child delivery duties (school and daycare).
    Good to hear that the fixie is getting some use.

    How do you find the handlebars?

    DeF

    --
    e-mail: [email protected] finger.murdoch.edu.au
    To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

  5. gumby

    gumby Guest

    I sit on the seat and there they are there in front of the headset.
    It is a bit of a reach, and they flex a bit, but when the bike has been
    donated....
    Dont look a gift fixie in the bracket
    Thanks mate
    Do you want it back Sunday?

  6. BruceA

    BruceA Guest

    I must admit, I have never been to a BTWB, and this morning was no exception
    (something to do with little children and sleep!)
    Something I have always wondered about is what do you do with your bike when
    you get there? Is there a secure area for leaving all the bikes, do you
    wheel it around with you the whole time, or some other arrangement?

    BruceA

  7. gumby

    gumby Guest

    I was one of the very few who locked their bike to a stand, hey its not
    my bike and DeF is reading. Some of the bike bling was just placed on
    a post and rail system, resting under the nose of the seat, like
    triathlon transition.
    Very trusting bunch, cyclists.
    Steven

  8. DeF

    DeF Guest

    gumby wrote:
    > I sit on the seat and there they are there in front of the headset.
    > It is a bit of a reach, and they flex a bit, but when the bike has been
    > donated....
    > Dont look a gift fixie in the bracket
    > Thanks mate
    > Do you want it back Sunday?

    No rush. Wait at least until you've got your rear wheel
    fixed. It's not like I don't have another bike to ride.
    It's getting the opportunity that's the problem.

    Have widened the tri bars for Sunday and taken amnesia pills
    to help me forget the pain of last Sunday. They're made of
    the same stuff that help women get over childbirth and allow
    for them to have the next one...

    DeF

    --
    e-mail: [email protected] finger.murdoch.edu.au
    To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

  9. gumby

    gumby Guest

    40km Time trials and Childbirth
    just remember to breathe!
    Steven

  10. DeF

    DeF Guest

    gumby wrote:
    > 40km Time trials and Childbirth
    > just remember to breathe!
    > Steven

    They both take just over an hour in my experience.

    DeF

    --
    e-mail: [email protected] finger.murdoch.edu.au
    To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

  11. gumby

    gumby Guest

    go on break the hour!!!!

  12. OzCableguy

    OzCableguy Guest

    "gumby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Riding back to work west on Wellington St, Lights at the Freeway
    > overpass, I gently leaned on a turbo-diesel MIss Bitchy SUV thing with
    > lots of silver bling,

    Yep, leaning on someone's pride and joy that they've probably just spent the
    last 3 hours polishing is asking for trouble. It's extremely bad form and
    probably the most road rage inciting thing that a cyclist can do. See
    http://www.funnyhub.com/videos/pages/dont-touch-my-car.html

  13. Graeme Dods

    Graeme Dods Guest

    On 9 Mar 2006 16:19:13 -0800, gumby wrote:

    > There is no getting through to some people.

    I'd be pissed off if you did that to my car, I'd probably end up being told
    to wash the car to match the bit where my carefully accumulated grime (muck
    needs a home too you know) was wiped off by your hand :)

    Graeme

  14. gumby

    gumby Guest

    Miss Bitchy was probably polishing his helmet for the past three hours
    not his two tonne fuel guzzler.

    I was really shocked that I asked him to calm down, he did! Cos
    normally when I say that it has the opposite effect.
    I think I was after this reaction anyway, almost disappointing.