PER wa announces $700k cycling grants

gumby

Guest
For t'othersiders, Planning Minister Alannah MacTiernan's electorate is
centred on Armadale/Gosnells.

28/6/06

State Government funding totalling more than $150,000 will help improve
cycling facilities in the City of Armadale and the City of Gosnells
this financial year.

Planning and Infrastructure Minister Alannah MacTiernan said the Perth
Bicycle Network (PBN) funding included:
$80,000 for a path between Armadale Road and Forrest Road as part of
the Woolworths redevelopment - the ARA would complete a link to
Armadale Station;
$43,000 to the City of Gosnells towards a $100,000, 1.2km shared path
along the Canning River from Prince Street to Wilkinson Museum; and
$28,650 to the City of Armadale for paths linking Albany Highway to
Railway Avenue along Armadale Road in Armadale, and along Connell
Avenue in Kelmscott, between Brookside Avenue and Turner Road.
Ms MacTiernan said that since 2001-2002, the City of Armadale and the
City of Gosnells had received a total of $330,845 and $498,981,
respectively, through the PBN Local Government Grants Program.

"Before this, the south-east corridor had not received much Perth
Bicycling Network funding," she said.

"Our Government has made sure this region gets a fair share.

"In addition, the State Government has spent $10.7million on major
cycle path projects in the south-east corridor, including paths along
Tonkin Highway and along the railway line between Kenwick and
Gosnells."

The Minister said that this financial year, 20 metropolitan local
governments would share PBN grants worth more than $700,000.

"As a result of these grants, a further 31km will be added to Perth's
bicycle network, including 23km of on-road bicycle lanes and eight
kilometres of off-road shared paths," she said.

"Over the past five years, the Government has provided more than
$5.2million to metropolitan local governments and built more than 360km
of cycling infrastructure throughout the State.

"These grants demonstrate that the Government is serious about its
responsibility for ensuring safe and enjoyable environments for
cyclists and pedestrians.
"By making access safer, we can get more people on bikes.

"Shared paths have been particularly effective, with off-road
facilities appearing to appeal particularly to women.

"This, combined with the success of the 'Cycle Instead' campaign, has
proved very effective in boosting cycling levels in Western Australia.

"Across Australia, bicycles outsold cars for the sixth straight year in
2005."

Minister's office: (08) 9213 6400

"gumby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> For t'othersiders, Planning Minister Alannah MacTiernan's electorate is
> centred on Armadale/Gosnells.

Isn't Gosnells local member Sheila McHale? Alannah is Armadale only.

Cheers
David M

davidm wrote:
> "gumby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > For t'othersiders, Planning Minister Alannah MacTiernan's electorate is
> > centred on Armadale/Gosnells.

> Isn't Gosnells local member Sheila McHale? Alannah is Armadale only.
>
> Cheers
> David M

I thought the Armadale Leg Assembly electorate crossed over into the
Gosnells LGA as well as Armadale.