General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Perfect Mashed Potatoes

Started by cybercat · · Last activity · 285 posts · 3,897 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
11 November 2007
Last activity
18 November 2007
Original author
cybercat
Posts
285
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,897
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 81–100 of 285
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "deja.blues" wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Got five pounds of big, fresh Idaho potatoes at Aldi, and a pound of
    butter. I guess I need milk, right?

    How do you make your best mashed potatoes?

    Quoted message said:

    I never use milk, I use some of the leftover cooking water. Can't
    remember where I heard this technique, but I like the results a lot
    better. I sometimes add a little cream cheese or sour cream if I have it.
    I also use a ricer. Waxy like Yukon Gold, redskins, or regular old white
    potatoes work better than Idahos,which are more suited to baking or
    frying - I find they fall apart as they boil.

    Yes, but that is what she has. Use of sourcream (vice milk) will help
    offset that. Yukon Golds would be better.

  2. "deja.blues" wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Got five pounds of big, fresh Idaho potatoes at Aldi, and a pound of
    butter. I guess I need milk, right?

    How do you make your best mashed potatoes?

    Quoted message said:

    I never use milk, I use some of the leftover cooking water. Can't
    remember where I heard this technique, but I like the results a lot
    better. I sometimes add a little cream cheese or sour cream if I have it.
    I also use a ricer. Waxy like Yukon Gold, redskins, or regular old white
    potatoes work better than Idahos,which are more suited to baking or
    frying - I find they fall apart as they boil.

    Yes, but that is what she has. Use of sourcream (vice milk) will help
    offset that. Yukon Golds would be better.

  3. Oh pshaw, on Sun 11 Nov 2007 07:48:59p, Janet B. meant to say...

    Quoted message said:


    "Janet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Oh pshaw, on Sun 11 Nov 2007 09:39:24a, cybercat meant to say...

    > I got roped into doing Thanksgiving dinner.
    >
    > I don't do mashed potatoes! I never have. I recall trying years ago,
    > and they were lumpy.
    >
    > Got five pounds of big, fresh Idaho potatoes at Aldi, and a pound of
    > butter. I guess I need milk, right?

    Use cream.

    > How do you make your best mashed potatoes?

    I agree, use cream. Also, save your Idahos for something else and get a
    bag of Yukon Golds.


    Yukon Golds are too low starch to make decent mashed potatoes.
    Janet

    Agreed...

    --
    Wayne Boatwright

    (to e-mail me direct, replace cox dot net with gmail dot com)
    ______________________________________________________________

    OK, I'm weird ! But I'm saving up to be eccentric.

  4. Myrl Jeffcoat said:
    Quoted message said:


    She simply boils the potatoes until tender, drains ALL the water off
    of them in the pot, leaves the lid ajar for about 15 minutes, adds
    condensed milk, a bit of butter, and a tad of salt, then mashes - but
    doesn't over mash, with the electric beater. She never has lumps.

    Those are whipped potatoes, not mashed potatoes. Mashed potatoes are
    supposed to have lumps.

    Quoted message said:

    When I was in high school, the cooking teacher taught us to use a
    ricer to mash potatoes, and that worked well too.

    Yes, riced potatoes are good but they're still not mashed potatoes,
    that's why they're called riced potatoes.

    Mashed potatoes need the lumps, especially with all the overpowering
    [censored] folks toss in... the lumps are what retain the potato taste, but
    then I suppose many don't like the flavor of the potatoes they buy.
    The spuds from the stupidmarket are storage potatoes, been out of the
    ground for months, they don't taste much like potatoes. Unless you've
    eaten freshly dug potatoes you have no idea how a potato is supposed
    taste.... eating storage potatoes is like eating storage corn.

    I like smashed potatoes (lottsa lumps, and with skins on), a big
    plateful steaming hot with plenty of real sour cream spooned on top,
    and with big blobs of caviar (don't need any other salt). Only thing
    else I need to complete the meal is my bottle of vodka from the
    freezer.

    Sheldon

  5. Bobo Bonobo® said:

    The idea that mashed potatoes are better made with canned milk than
    cream--or even fresh milk--is laughable.

    I must agree with you. It seems ludicrous to me too, but it works.
    As my friend, Nancy said, when you're doin' poor white trash cooking,
    most of the ingredients come from food commodities that the welfare
    department gave us. . .LOL

  6. Sheldon said:

    I like smashed potatoes (lottsa lumps, and with skins on), a big
    plateful steaming hot with plenty of real sour cream spooned on top,
    and with big blobs of caviar (don't need any other salt). Only thing
    else I need to complete the meal is my bottle of vodka from the
    freezer.

    Sheldon

    Oh YUM!

  7. "Bobo Bonobo®"

    Quoted message said:

    So you think that bouillon cubes are better than Swanson broth?
    I notice you trimmed out the links showing what bouillon is made out
    of.

    Are you an idiot or do you just sound like one due to reading comrehension
    problems?

    You twisted everything said out of shape and wasted everyone's time.

  8. "Bobo Bonobo®"

    Quoted message said:

    So you think that bouillon cubes are better than Swanson broth?
    I notice you trimmed out the links showing what bouillon is made out
    of.

    Are you an idiot or do you just sound like one due to reading comrehension
    problems?

    You twisted everything said out of shape and wasted everyone's time.

  9. Oh pshaw, on Sun 11 Nov 2007 08:31:27p, Myrl Jeffcoat meant to say...

    Quoted message said:
    Sheldon said:

    I like smashed potatoes (lottsa lumps, and with skins on), a big
    plateful steaming hot with plenty of real sour cream spooned on top,
    and with big blobs of caviar (don't need any other salt). Only thing
    else I need to complete the meal is my bottle of vodka from the
    freezer.

    Sheldon

    Oh YUM!

    Oh, YUK!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright

    (to e-mail me direct, replace cox dot net with gmail dot com)
    ______________________________________________________________

    OK, I'm weird ! But I'm saving up to be eccentric.

  10. Wayne Boatwright said:

    Oh pshaw, on Sun 11 Nov 2007 08:31:27p, Myrl Jeffcoat meant to say...

    Quoted message said:
    Sheldon said:

    I like smashed potatoes (lottsa lumps, and with skins on), a big
    plateful steaming hot with plenty of real sour cream spooned on top,
    and with big blobs of caviar (don't need any other salt). Only thing
    else I need to complete the meal is my bottle of vodka from the
    freezer.

    Sheldon

    Oh YUM!

    Oh, YUK!

    another "oh yum" for this informal poll 🙂

    --

    Sarah Gray

  11. "Blinky the Shark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:

    Oh pshaw, on Sun 11 Nov 2007 09:39:24a, cybercat meant to say...

    Quoted message said:

    I got roped into doing Thanksgiving dinner.

    I don't do mashed potatoes! I never have. I recall trying years ago, and
    they were lumpy.

    Got five pounds of big, fresh Idaho potatoes at Aldi, and a pound of
    butter. I guess I need milk, right?

    Use cream.

    Quoted message said:

    How do you make your best mashed potatoes?

    I don't use a recipe, however, I do "rice" the potatoes instead of
    mashing.
    (I'm not a fan of lumpy mashed potatoes.) Then add desired butter, and
    add
    cream until the right consistency. I often boil the potatoes with a
    fresh
    clove of garlic, and sometimes add a bay leaf to the pot. I'm also not
    much of a fan of roasted garlic mashed potatoes. Depends on the meal.

    Sometimes I saute some chopped onion and add that when I mix the
    potatoes. That'll probably set off the purists. 🙂

    Mmmmmmmmmmm!!!

  12. In article <[email hidden]>, "cybercat" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I got roped into doing Thanksgiving dinner.

    I don't do mashed potatoes! I never have. I recall trying years ago, and
    they were lumpy.

    Got five pounds of big, fresh Idaho potatoes at Aldi, and a pound of butter.
    I guess I need milk, right?

    How do you make your best mashed potatoes?

    Run them through a food mill, then add butter and milk.

    Miche

    --
    Electricians do it in three phases

  13. Miche <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, "cybercat" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I got roped into doing Thanksgiving dinner.

    I don't do mashed potatoes! I never have. I recall trying years ago,
    and they were lumpy.

    Got five pounds of big, fresh Idaho potatoes at Aldi, and a pound of
    butter. I guess I need milk, right?

    How do you make your best mashed potatoes?

    Run them through a food mill, then add butter and milk.

    Miche

    I do the ricer or food mill method myself. I don't add butter or cream
    ....just some chicken stock. Those were the days...when my type 2 wasn't
    there and I could eat mashed spuds with abandonment. Now when I eat them
    they're a guilty pleasure and a rare occurance.

    --

    The house of the burning beet-Alan

    It'll be a sunny day in August, when the Moon will shine that night-
    Elbonian Folklore

  14. koko said:

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 12:53:30 -0500, "cybercat" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    <koko> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 11:39:24 -0500, "cybercat" <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    > I got roped into doing Thanksgiving dinner.
    >
    > I don't do mashed potatoes! I never have. I recall trying years ago, and
    > they were lumpy.
    >
    > Got five pounds of big, fresh Idaho potatoes at Aldi, and a pound of
    > butter.
    > I guess I need milk, right?
    >
    > How do you make your best mashed potatoes?
    >
    >
    Sometimes I add a little orange juice.


    hmmm ... how does it turn out?


    Really delicious. They have a nice fresh taste with a hint of citrus.
    Here's the recipe.

    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Orange Mashed Potatoes

    It would never have occured to me to mix potatoes and oranges.
    Interesting..

    --
    -Gina in Italy

    http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
    I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com

  15. sf said:

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 13:44:50 -0800, "Cshenk" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Hey, I *like* them lumpy. In fact, we like them with the peel still on.

    Those are called "dirty" mashed potatoes. I'm not a fan of lumps or
    skin in mashed potatoes. I make "smashed" potatoes out of the ones
    with skin. I just put it on a plate, smash it with a fork and add a
    dollop of butter.... gravy if there is any.

    We'd use those for my grandmother's version of shepherd's pie...not the
    usual..we'd just fry off ground beef with onion, bell pepper, S&P, then
    make brown gravy, then dump the mess on top of the smashed
    potatoes...it's SO good. I still make it every few months.

    --
    -Gina in Italy

    http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
    I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com

  16. "hahabogus" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I do the ricer or food mill method myself. I don't add butter or cream
    ...just some chicken stock. Those were the days...when my type 2 wasn't
    there and I could eat mashed spuds with abandonment. Now when I eat them
    they're a guilty pleasure and a rare occurance.

    We're in that "boat." Only one of my guests is diabetic, but the rest are
    all related, and so high-risk. We are all careful of what we eat. I have
    mashed potatos three-four times a year at the most. I will make them with
    real butter and milk or cream, and make home made full-fat gravy too,
    just for the holiday.

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

  17. Julie Bove said:


    "Blinky the Shark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:

    Oh pshaw, on Sun 11 Nov 2007 09:39:24a, cybercat meant to say...

    > I got roped into doing Thanksgiving dinner.
    >
    > I don't do mashed potatoes! I never have. I recall trying years ago, and
    > they were lumpy.
    >
    > Got five pounds of big, fresh Idaho potatoes at Aldi, and a pound of
    > butter. I guess I need milk, right?

    Use cream.

    > How do you make your best mashed potatoes?

    I don't use a recipe, however, I do "rice" the potatoes instead of
    mashing.
    (I'm not a fan of lumpy mashed potatoes.) Then add desired butter, and
    add
    cream until the right consistency. I often boil the potatoes with a
    fresh
    clove of garlic, and sometimes add a bay leaf to the pot. I'm also not
    much of a fan of roasted garlic mashed potatoes. Depends on the meal.

    Sometimes I saute some chopped onion and add that when I mix the
    potatoes. That'll probably set off the purists. 🙂

    Mmmmmmmmmmm!!!

    Is that indicative of you doing the same, or that you're gonna do the
    same next time? 🙂

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project - http://improve-usenet.org

  18. "Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Oh pshaw, on Sun 11 Nov 2007 07:20:33p, Janet meant to say...

    Quoted message said:


    "Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Oh pshaw, on Sun 11 Nov 2007 09:39:24a, cybercat meant to say...

    > I got roped into doing Thanksgiving dinner.
    >
    > I don't do mashed potatoes! I never have. I recall trying years ago,
    > and they were lumpy.
    >
    > Got five pounds of big, fresh Idaho potatoes at Aldi, and a pound of
    > butter. I guess I need milk, right?

    Use cream.

    > How do you make your best mashed potatoes?

    I agree, use cream. Also, save your Idahos for something else and get a
    bag of Yukon Golds.

    Actually, I like Idahos for mashed potatotes. The real trick is drying
    them out adequately over the burner after draining.


    I will do this.

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

  19. "Terry Pulliam Burd" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I have a really good recipe for doing ahead, carrying afield, and
    reheating. It also multiples beautifully. If you don't want the
    cheese, leave it out and just reheat it covered.

    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Chantilly Potatoes

    [snips}

    This sounds wonderful, thank you!

    --
    Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com

  20. Sarah Gray said:
    Wayne Boatwright said:

    Oh pshaw, on Sun 11 Nov 2007 08:31:27p, Myrl Jeffcoat meant to say...

    Quoted message said:

    On Nov 11, 7:19 pm, Sheldon <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > I like smashed potatoes (lottsa lumps, and with skins on), a big
    > plateful steaming hot with plenty of real sour cream spooned on top,
    > and with big blobs of caviar (don't need any other salt). Only
    > thing else I need to complete the meal is my bottle of vodka from the
    > freezer.
    > Sheldon

    Oh YUM!

    Oh, YUK!

    another "oh yum" for this informal poll 🙂

    Oh yum here too.

    --
    -Gina in Italy

    http://www.myspace.com/ravenlynne1975
    I'm a blogger: http://ravenwolflodge.blogspot.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.