Performance Bicycle, Caveat Emptor!, privacy abuse

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Dale I. Green, Jul 15, 2004.

  1. Hi.

    I want to warn anybody thinking about doing business with Performance
    Bicycle (http://www.performancebike.com). I made the mistake of placing
    an order with them, and now I am being bombarded with their spams. The
    worst part is, I cannot seem to get removed from their spam lists!
    Believe me, I've tried. Emails are ignored. I even phoned customer
    service and only get canned responses to "email the web manager".

    taken directly from their "privacy" policy

    For people that make purchases, E-mail addresses are collected and
    used to notify customers about Specials, site improvements and
    upcoming events. Performance Inc. does not rent, trade or sell your
    personal data to third parties *** BUT RETAINS THE RIGHT TO DO SO ***
    in the future. Please be aware *** WE MAY SHARE CUSTOMER INFORMATION
    *** with the subsidiaries Performance, Inc.

    The policy goes on to say they may use and share your postal address as
    well.

    This is an ANTI-PRIVACY policy if I've ever seen one. Basically, they
    can do whatever they want with your personal information, including
    email, phone number, and postal address.

    Caveat emptor!

    ----------
    Dale

    Tags:

  2. On 2004-07-15, Dale I. Green penned:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I want to warn anybody thinking about doing business with Performance
    > Bicycle (http://www.performancebike.com). I made the mistake of
    > placing an order with them, and now I am being bombarded with their
    > spams. The worst part is, I cannot seem to get removed from their
    > spam lists! Believe me, I've tried. Emails are ignored. I even
    > phoned customer service and only get canned responses to "email the
    > web manager".
    >
    > taken directly from their "privacy" policy
    >
    > For people that make purchases, E-mail addresses are collected and
    > used to notify customers about Specials, site improvements and
    > upcoming events. Performance Inc. does not rent, trade or sell your
    > personal data to third parties *** BUT RETAINS THE RIGHT TO DO SO
    > *** in the future. Please be aware *** WE MAY SHARE CUSTOMER
    > INFORMATION *** with the subsidiaries Performance, Inc.
    >
    > The policy goes on to say they may use and share your postal address
    > as well.
    >
    > This is an ANTI-PRIVACY policy if I've ever seen one. Basically, they
    > can do whatever they want with your personal information, including
    > email, phone number, and postal address.
    >
    > Caveat emptor!

    Yuck =/

    I just joined their little club, too, because I spent enough money at
    the store that paying $25 in exchange for getting $10 back on every $100
    spent was going to be immediately profitable ...

    HOWEVER

    They make it very clear that you can email, call, or mail them and get
    your contact info removed from their lists. You didn't quote that part
    in your missive.

    http://www.performancebike.com/privacy_policy.cfm

    Honestly, I assume that any company, regardless of their stated policy,
    is a potential source of spam and junk mail. Even if a company's
    current policy is quite good, all bets are off once they sell out to a
    bigger fish.

    --
    monique

  3. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Dale I. Green wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I want to warn anybody thinking about doing business with Performance
    > Bicycle (http://www.performancebike.com). I made the mistake of
    > placing an order with them, and now I am being bombarded with their
    > spams. {snip}

    Strange, I've ordered plenty from them, and get zero spam. (I don't
    consider a standard Sales Flyer spam; after all, I am a cyclist who's shown
    interest in purchasing cycling items from cycling businesses.)

    Bill "must be clean living" S.

  4. On 2004-07-15, S o r n i penned:
    > Dale I. Green wrote:
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> I want to warn anybody thinking about doing business with Performance
    >> Bicycle (http://www.performancebike.com). I made the mistake of
    >> placing an order with them, and now I am being bombarded with their
    >> spams. {snip}

    > Strange, I've ordered plenty from them, and get zero spam. (I don't
    > consider a standard Sales Flyer spam; after all, I am a cyclist who's
    > shown interest in purchasing cycling items from cycling businesses.)
    >
    > Bill "must be clean living" S.

    I get mailers from performance, supergo, and, well, just about all the
    shops with which I've done business. I do think the sheer *number* is
    excessive, but they do make good bathroom browsing.

    The number of mailings I get from *all* biking-related shops combined is
    dwarfed by the unfathomable number of Victoria's Secret catalogues I
    receive, though. It's insane. I wish you could request mailings on a
    spectrum, from none to once a month to everything ya got ....

    --
    monique

  5. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
    > On 2004-07-15, S o r n i penned:
    >> Dale I. Green wrote:
    >>> Hi.
    >>>
    >>> I want to warn anybody thinking about doing business with
    >>> Performance Bicycle (http://www.performancebike.com). I made the
    >>> mistake of placing an order with them, and now I am being bombarded
    >>> with their spams. {snip}

    >> Strange, I've ordered plenty from them, and get zero spam. (I don't
    >> consider a standard Sales Flyer spam; after all, I am a cyclist who's
    >> shown interest in purchasing cycling items from cycling businesses.)
    >>
    >> Bill "must be clean living" S.

    > I get mailers from performance, supergo, and, well, just about all the
    > shops with which I've done business. I do think the sheer *number* is
    > excessive, but they do make good bathroom browsing.

    Actually, I was referring to the 'e' flyers, but yeah, I get a bunch of
    snail-mailers, too. (Usually use 'em to fall asleep; get a few pages in
    and...Zzzzzzz.)

    > The number of mailings I get from *all* biking-related shops combined
    > is dwarfed by the unfathomable number of Victoria's Secret catalogues
    > I receive, though. It's insane. I wish you could request mailings
    > on a spectrum, from none to once a month to everything ya got ....

    Reminds me -- haven't gotten a VS catalog in ages! (Ya buy one pair of silk
    boxers, and you're labeled for life...)

    Bill "they weren't very comfortable" S.

  6. Sunastar

    Sunastar Guest

    Dale sez:

    [snip]
    >I made the mistake of placing
    >an order with them, and now I am being bombarded with their spams.

    [snip]

    The way I've gotten around this is to set up an email account just for
    doing online purchasing. I dump it about once a year and create a new
    one. They all have about the same name, "[email protected]", etc. It's
    worked well for me.

    T o m Dillon
    Lakewood, CO
    Z to S to email

  7. TM

    TM Guest

    "Dale I. Green" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi.
    >
    > I want to warn anybody thinking about doing business with Performance
    > Bicycle (http://www.performancebike.com).

    <snip crazy spam rant>

    > Caveat emptor!
    >
    > ----------
    > Dale

    You can opt out.

    I have bought from them and just clicked the 'No, I don't want to learn
    about specials or words to a similar effect box'.

    I have not received one e-mail from them besides an order confirmation.

    Oh, and the sky is falling.

  8. jazu

    jazu Guest

    My advice.
    Create email account on yahoo specialy for internet purchases.
    Don't use your primary address

    "Dale I. Green" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi.
    >
    > I want to warn anybody thinking about doing business with Performance
    > Bicycle (http://www.performancebike.com). I made the mistake of placing
    > an order with them, and now I am being bombarded with their spams. The
    > worst part is, I cannot seem to get removed from their spam lists!
    > Believe me, I've tried. Emails are ignored. I even phoned customer
    > service and only get canned responses to "email the web manager".
    >
    > taken directly from their "privacy" policy
    >
    > For people that make purchases, E-mail addresses are collected and
    > used to notify customers about Specials, site improvements and
    > upcoming events. Performance Inc. does not rent, trade or sell your
    > personal data to third parties *** BUT RETAINS THE RIGHT TO DO SO ***
    > in the future. Please be aware *** WE MAY SHARE CUSTOMER INFORMATION
    > *** with the subsidiaries Performance, Inc.
    >
    > The policy goes on to say they may use and share your postal address as
    > well.
    >
    > This is an ANTI-PRIVACY policy if I've ever seen one. Basically, they
    > can do whatever they want with your personal information, including
    > email, phone number, and postal address.
    >
    > Caveat emptor!
    >
    > ----------
    > Dale

  9. "Monique Y. Mudama" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > They make it very clear that you can email, call, or mail them and get
    > your contact info removed from their lists. You didn't quote that part
    > in your missive.

    No I didn't. I only quoted the part relevant to my point. The parts
    your referring to are meaningless for two reasons:

    1) You may have missed where I stated that I've been trying
    UNSUCCESSFULLY to be removed from their lists.

    2) Although I don't recall the specifics for their site, I ALWAYS
    opt-out (or don't opt-in) for ads, newsletters, etc. whenever I make
    online purchases. So the fact that I was automatically opted-in gives
    Performance Bike time to share/sell/abuse my personal information the
    instant I place an order. Maybe I can opt-out later, but the damage has
    (potentially) already been done.

    (Monique, I'm not trying to flame, I just wanted to clarify my point...)

    ----------
    Dale

  10. On 2004-07-16, Dale I. Green penned:

    (snippage)

    > 1) You may have missed where I stated that I've been trying
    > UNSUCCESSFULLY to be removed from their lists.

    I guess this is the confusing part, as I (and apparently a few others)
    have ordered from Performance without getting tons of spam.

    Then again, I might not have noticed -- I get so much spam from archived
    newsgroups and mailing lists that my filters are pretty well set up, and
    I rarely actually *see* any of my spam or bother to obfuscate anymore.

    > (Monique, I'm not trying to flame, I just wanted to clarify my
    > point...)

    *nod* I get it =)

    Spam, regardless of whether it comes from a legit business or not, is
    incredibly frustrating. There are days when I think that drawing and
    quartering the people responsible wouldn't be enough punishment for the
    waste of bandwidth, processing power, etc, not to mention the invasion
    of privacy and the frustration. Then you get into spam that describes
    acts that I would never, ever want to hear about. I can't imagine what
    it's like for parents ...

    Anyway, I understand. Spam is the scourge of the computer-using earth.

    --
    monique

    "Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    -- Mark Twain

  11. jem

    jem Guest

    Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
    > On 2004-07-15, S o r n i penned:
    >
    >>Dale I. Green wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi.
    >>>
    >>>I want to warn anybody thinking about doing business with Performance
    >>>Bicycle (http://www.performancebike.com). I made the mistake of
    >>>placing an order with them, and now I am being bombarded with their
    >>>spams. {snip}

    >>Strange, I've ordered plenty from them, and get zero spam. (I don't
    >>consider a standard Sales Flyer spam; after all, I am a cyclist who's
    >>shown interest in purchasing cycling items from cycling businesses.)
    >>
    >>Bill "must be clean living" S.

    > I get mailers from performance, supergo, and, well, just about all the
    > shops with which I've done business. I do think the sheer *number* is
    > excessive, but they do make good bathroom browsing.
    >
    > The number of mailings I get from *all* biking-related shops combined is
    > dwarfed by the unfathomable number of Victoria's Secret catalogues I
    > receive, though. It's insane. I wish you could request mailings on a
    > spectrum, from none to once a month to everything ya got ....

    How exactly does one get onto this Victoris'a Secret thingy? :)

  12. On 2004-07-18, jem penned:
    > Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
    >>
    >> The number of mailings I get from *all* biking-related shops combined
    >> is dwarfed by the unfathomable number of Victoria's Secret catalogues
    >> I receive, though. It's insane. I wish you could request mailings
    >> on a spectrum, from none to once a month to everything ya got ....
    >>

    > How exactly does one get onto this Victoris'a Secret thingy? :)

    It's pretty complicated:

    http://www2.victoriassecret.com/html/custsrvc/request/

    --
    monique

    "Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
    -- Mark Twain

  13. Jim M says:

    >How exactly does one get onto this Victoris'a Secret thingy? :)

    I found the easiest way was to have had a couple of daughters 20-or-so years
    ago. ;-)

    Steve

  14. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Stephen Baker wrote:
    > Jim M says:
    >
    >> How exactly does one get onto this Victoris'a Secret thingy? :)

    > I found the easiest way was to have had a couple of daughters
    > 20-or-so years ago. ;-)

    Please tell us that doesn't mean you wear their {not even gonna say it}.

    Bill "reminded of old joke: punchline is 'and you're not going to, unless
    you change that attitude'" S.

  15. Sorni says:

    >Please tell us that doesn't mean you wear their {not even gonna say it}.

    Not a chance...

    It just means that the VS catalogs arrive on the doorstep with alarming
    frequency.

    Steve