Performance Bike Case Not UPS/Delta Friendly?

teamgomez

Aug 23, 2005
Trying to get the bike to a new job assignement back east. Bought a Performance hard case since it was touted as UPS/Airline friendly. Apparently neither. $80 for UPS and looks like $125 via Delta airlines IF they even take it. Delta website limits LxWxH to <80" and bike case is 89".... :mad:

Anybody traveled recently and have any curbside experience to pass?

Thanks!

I usually travel AW/US Airways with no problem. I use a Trico or Serfas hard cases. $80 each way. I heard that Southwest charges $50 each way.

active.com use to have a deal with AW to fly your bike for free, but since the merger with US Air it is no longer available. I've been told they are trying to
restart the deal.

I'd recommend FedEx'ing your bike. I shipped my friends bike from DC to LA for $75 and that included $8000 insurance coverage. Bike was received without a scratch. I also packed the bike myself (I part-time at a bike shop so that was easy) in a bike box with plenty of bubble wrap.

Ive heard way too many horror stories of taking bikes on a flight.

teamgomez said:
Trying to get the bike to a new job assignement back east. Bought a Performance hard case since it was touted as UPS/Airline friendly. Apparently neither. $80 for UPS and looks like $125 via Delta airlines IF they even take it. Delta website limits LxWxH to <80" and bike case is 89".... :mad:

Anybody traveled recently and have any curbside experience to pass?

Thanks!

"Friendly" means that they will take it, but not without the oversized or excess baggage surcharges. I don't think that Performance advertises anywhere that there case can be shipped or taken on an airplane for no extra charge. The only bike case that I know of that may fit under the airline size restrictions for standard luggage charges and that can accomodate a standard bicycle is the PIKA. I have not personally used it. I used to have a VeloSafe, but sold it because I no longer fly to races.

http://www.pikapackworks.com/

I assume you are in the US. If you have the time UPS or FedEx is a good way to go. The last time I shipped a mountain bike, it was $27.00, packed in a cardboard bike box. That was a few months age. You do need to take the box directly to a UPS or FedEx terminal not a local shipping site where you have to pay third party charges. :)

***Update***

Got the Performance hardcase and had a problem getting the 58cm Trek to fit properly (one end was bowing out a bit due to handlebars). Arranged just like photos...one secret not in the pix is to compress the brake levers and rotate the stem down so the bars can rest on the compressed brake levers. Fit much better this way.

Flew American Airlines. Lady at counter said, "Those usually only weigh about 45 lbs, right?" Of course! No charge and no problem. 2 legs w/ layover in Chicago to Washington/Reagan. Bike came thru luggage carousel w/ no issues whatsoever. Extremely releived to see the bike...not as concerned that my 50lb duffel (no flames pls....out here for 3 months sans family....) didn't make it out on the carousel. Luckily, somebody had removed it from carousel and I was able to link up w/ all goodies. No damage to report! :D

OBTW- Southern Maryland roads create rides dreams are made of. Will need to get some wind though to sim some hills!

Man did you get lucky. Wish stuff like that would happen to me once in awhile. Enjoy your riding.