Performance Bike financial troubles?

khslater

Aug 11, 2004
Does anyone know if Performance Bike is having some business issues? They seem to have all the warning signs of a company about to go under.

In the past month I've placed 3 orders from them, and there's been a problem with each.

On my first order one of the items didn't show up. I called and was told it was no longer available, but it is STILL listed as in stock on the Web site. I was told they are having trouble updating the site.

My 2nd order still hasn't arrived and its been about 2 week. I've called several times and been given 3 different dates that it shipped, but was told they didn't have any tracking information for USPS shipments. Now today the site shows my order as just shipping yesterday along with tracking information. So I know I got at least 3 lies on that order. :mad:

My 3rd order hasn't shipped yet either and its been 4 days now. As part of the order I bought a 3 pack of tubes that was listed as in stock. They were just dropped from the order online so I called. Once again I was told they aren't available, yet the 3 pack and single are still listed as in stock. :confused:

If nothing else this company at this time has TERRIBLE customer service that has just been told to tell people their order shipped and nothing else. I've used them in the past and not had these issues, so I can't help but think the future isn't too bright for Performance.

Kurt

Greeeeaaat. Just ordered a computer from Performance... Any others having issues with them?

I recently placed a three-item order [clothes and computer] and the order arrived in two days as promised. I've never had a problem with them. The one time that one of the things I ordered was out of stock, it was mail to me as soon as it was received.

I recently ordered 4 shipments from them, and I can give you some tips to deal with them:

1) Order on the phone, not on the website

2) Order the 2-day delivery, they haven't messed that up yet, and you have a guarantee.

3) When talking to customer service, if you don't think the customer service rep is correct, call back in a few minutes and speak to another one. Chances are that they WERE wrong. I got 3 different dates for when an item was going to be in stock, and a fourth rep said it was in stock.

4) At the end of your order on the phone, go over what you ordered with them, confirm the shipping method, and confirm when the item should be delivered.

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT TIP FOR PERFORMANCEBIKE:

5) Use nashbar if they have the product you want.

khslater said:
Does anyone know if Performance Bike is having some business issues? They seem to have all the warning signs of a company about to go under.

In the past month I've placed 3 orders from them, and there's been a problem with each.

On my first order one of the items didn't show up. I called and was told it was no longer available, but it is STILL listed as in stock on the Web site. I was told they are having trouble updating the site.

My 2nd order still hasn't arrived and its been about 2 week. I've called several times and been given 3 different dates that it shipped, but was told they didn't have any tracking information for USPS shipments. Now today the site shows my order as just shipping yesterday along with tracking information. So I know I got at least 3 lies on that order. :mad:

My 3rd order hasn't shipped yet either and its been 4 days now. As part of the order I bought a 3 pack of tubes that was listed as in stock. They were just dropped from the order online so I called. Once again I was told they aren't available, yet the 3 pack and single are still listed as in stock. :confused:

If nothing else this company at this time has TERRIBLE customer service that has just been told to tell people their order shipped and nothing else. I've used them in the past and not had these issues, so I can't help but think the future isn't too bright for Performance.

Kurt

never had problems ever since...

izzodesh said:
never had a problem but nashbar is always beta for the $
Just make sure to use 2 day delivery with Nashbar, if you use USPS, it can take up to 10 days to receive your order.....

I think it's the typical "WeDon'tGiveACrap" disease that companies get when they get too big. Haven't had a problem with them yet, but I do live near a retail location, so I never really have to mail order anything from them.

Oh, and FYI, Performance owns Nashbar and Supergo.

If you want good prices on components, don't forget to check pricepoint and jensonusa.

For what it's worth, I've bought quite a bit from them recently and have had no trouble at all.

I've ordered from them a few times and never had a problem. Indeed, this past Saturday I went to one of their retail stores to purchase a light and learned it was out of stock. The sales associate suggested placing a "red phone" order in the store. I did so, paid for it at the store and received free 2-day shipping (as a Team Performance member). It arrived yesterday morning via FedEx - not bad in my book. Also their web site was flawless in updating my order status and providing tracking information for the shipment. Sorry to hear of your less-than-stellar experience. :(

Not sure but I think Nashbar and Performance are owned by the same company... if true, talk about a monopoly :confused:

Well I guess I'm the only one having trouble with them. I still haven't received a jersey I ordered on August 2nd. The tracking info says it was shipped on the 10th, but the USPS tracking number they give isn't valid according to the USPS Web site. The last contact I had with customer service resulting in me being told a supervisor would contact me. That was last week.

An item I ordered on the 8th (before I realised the problems) just shipped yesterday, on the 17th.

Both of these orders were for items listed as in stock, and still are listed as in stock. They certainly aren't in a hurry to process orders.

Kurt

khslater said:
Well I guess I'm the only one having trouble with them. I still haven't received a jersey I ordered on August 2nd. The tracking info says it was shipped on the 10th, but the USPS tracking number they give isn't valid according to the USPS Web site. The last contact I had with customer service resulting in me being told a supervisor would contact me. That was last week.

An item I ordered on the 8th (before I realised the problems) just shipped yesterday, on the 17th.

Both of these orders were for items listed as in stock, and still are listed as in stock. They certainly aren't in a hurry to process orders.

Kurt
I placed an order with Performance on the 16th, and as of today when I check the status on the web page it still says 'item in process 08-17-2004'. Perhaps next time I will just go with Nashbar - more stuff seems to be in stock, and the web page at Nashbar more closely reflects the stock status of items.

An update on my computer. 8 days ago I placed the order for an Astrale 8. It just shipped from Performance today. Pretty sub-par compared to many internet purchasing where inventory mgt systems are such that shipment often occurs within hours of the transaction, or at least the next day.

Hopefully those of you having trouble are e-mailing/calling someone higher up the food chain at Performance about it? If nobody says anything, nothing will improve. Not saying anything about you guys, just making an obversation that many Americans like to ***** about bad customer service but don't accept the responsibility to tell someone (manager, etc.) about it so nothing changes...

RC2 said:
An update on my computer. 8 days ago I placed the order for an Astrale 8. It just shipped from Performance today. Pretty sub-par compared to many internet purchasing where inventory mgt systems are such that shipment often occurs within hours of the transaction, or at least the next day.

There are much better online stores for cycling like ExcelSports, Nashbar or ColoradoCyclist. I never used Performance's online store for purchasing items as I live just a few miles from their retail store.

The monopoly theory makes sense. If you ever look at their blowout catalogues side by side all of the MUST GO/reduced items are the same.

[I'm having the exact same problem; placed an order, waited several weeks -called only to be told the item was no longer being stocked - no one ever e-mailed or attempted to contact me. Then I placed another order (I know, I must be a slow learner) it has been 19 days and this order is still being processed. I have also never had problems with Performance before, but this is getting old

Ed

This is the first time I have had any problems with them. The phone lines open at 9 am , so they will be receiving a call soon. It looks like they will lose this order if it is 'still in process'.

Update... I was just told during a very brief conversation with a customer service rep, who would not transfer me to a manager, that the shipping department is "very busy" and cannot be contacted. What a business model!!! The customer service/sales reps cannot contact other departments!! No wonder half of the things on the web that say they are in stock really aren't - the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing!!

So, after dispatching an email to customer service, I am preparing a letter to send to the corporate office....

No more Nashbar or Performance for me......