Performance Bike financial troubles?

beerbecue said:
Update... I was just told during a very brief conversation with a customer service rep, who would not transfer me to a manager, that the shipping department is "very busy" and cannot be contacted. What a business model!!! The customer service/sales reps cannot contact other departments!! No wonder half of the things on the web that say they are in stock really aren't - the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing!!
QUOTE]

That sounds very similar to the story I got. On one call I was told my item had shipped, but that the shipping department hadn't entered the tracking information yet. I asked how they know its been shipped then and got some stuttering response about the status in the computer. I asked if it would be possible to talk to who had the tracking information and was once again told it wasn't in the computer yet.

I think the concept that SOMEONE had to have the tracking information didn't quite make it to her brain. I assume the tracking information just suddenly falls from the sky and pops into the computer.

Anyway, two days later the tracking information showed up online, when it shipped, two days after my previous call.

Yes I'm sending a letter to the corporate office. Stupid people in customer service is one thing. Being flat out lied to about my order is another.

Kurt

mmpc001 said:
Hopefully those of you having trouble are e-mailing/calling someone higher up the food chain at Performance about it? If nobody says anything, nothing will improve. Not saying anything about you guys, just making an obversation that many Americans like to ***** about bad customer service but don't accept the responsibility to tell someone (manager, etc.) about it so nothing changes...

Yeah, how? I'm sure someone in mgt would love to know about this post and the issues they've been having. But when customer service says "no, I'm sorry, but I can't transfer you to a manager" on the phone that gets kinda hard. I actually checked their website for a contact other than customer service but didn't find one. This is just a crappy company.

I found the information on the "contact us" page at the bottom: http://www.performancebike.com/contact.cfm If it were me, I'd send a courteous e-mail to every address listed on that page, then call the "800" customer service number again - ask for a name/ID number of the person answering and then request a manager. If they told me "no" again, I'd call the "919" number and request to speak to someone who cares about a serious customer service issue - with the customer service department! But that's just me...

I called the 919 number, and was directed to a very nice person named Kirsten (could be Kristen), who gave me the number for the head of the call center. I shouldn't post it publicly, or should I? Anyway, PM me and I will gladly give it out. Be warned, it is not a 1-800 number.

Good luck all.......

Update..... OK, so like a dumb*ss, I selected FedEx ground to have my order shipped (I knew that all along). Now mind you, I have had it shipped that way before at least three times, and the order went out the next day. Anyway, the floor supervisor just read me what the web site says "It may take up to 10 days to process orders with regular shipping". Right. Whatever. Didn't even attempt to pretend to contact the shipping department, just looked up the same status I can from the web. As it is, Performance has some of the highest shipping costs around (based on cost of the order, not actual weight). So if you ever want a package shipped in a timely fashion from Performance, you better pay the extra for two day service.

Moral of the story - I won't order from Performance again.

Good information, beerbecue. I commend you for following up - hopefully everyone having issues will do the same and Performance will rectify the situation. If they don't, they're foolish and the title of this thread will become prophetic...

khslater said:
Does anyone know if Performance Bike is having some business issues? They seem to have all the warning signs of a company about to go under.

In the past month I've placed 3 orders from them, and there's been a problem with each.

On my first order one of the items didn't show up. I called and was told it was no longer available, but it is STILL listed as in stock on the Web site. I was told they are having trouble updating the site.

My 2nd order still hasn't arrived and its been about 2 week. I've called several times and been given 3 different dates that it shipped, but was told they didn't have any tracking information for USPS shipments. Now today the site shows my order as just shipping yesterday along with tracking information. So I know I got at least 3 lies on that order. :mad:

My 3rd order hasn't shipped yet either and its been 4 days now. As part of the order I bought a 3 pack of tubes that was listed as in stock. They were just dropped from the order online so I called. Once again I was told they aren't available, yet the 3 pack and single are still listed as in stock. :confused:

If nothing else this company at this time has TERRIBLE customer service that has just been told to tell people their order shipped and nothing else. I've used them in the past and not had these issues, so I can't help but think the future isn't too bright for Performance.

Kurt
I had a similar problem with them on a pair of pedals I ordered. They could not tell me when they shipped or when I was going to get them or give me a tracking number. One day they told me that they were already shipped and the next they said they would be shipped the next day. They were also very rude about me wanting a tracking number.

I was hoping it was an isolated incident and was going to give them another try.

Sounds like they may be having some computer system issues. I have never dealt with a mail order company that has problems giving me a tracking number.

It is very important to me to have that, because I often need to prove to our mailroom that they signed for something. Otherwise, I never get it.

Now I will just wait for my package to arrive, write 'Refused' on it, and head over to FedEx.......

I am taking my business elsewhere.....

beerbecue said:
Now I will just wait for my package to arrive, write 'Refused' on it, and head over to FedEx.......

I am taking my business elsewhere.....
I actually tried to cancel my order and they said it was too late that the product had shipped.

I should have been more forceful but I had a brand new pair of biking shoes at home and no clipless pedals for them.

I really thought it was an isolated incident or just a computer problem until I stumbled on this forum. My experience was 5 months ago, so it does not sound like they fixed it.

I told the customer service rep that since my order status was 'in process' I would like to cancel as well. The reply was "that order has been printed up and sent to shipping, it can't be canceled". OK, fine. I then asked if they wait to charge the credit card until the order is shipped, she said 'yes', then I said "my card has been charged, so why hasn't the status changed to shipped?", I hear "shipping is very busy, they probably haven't had time to update the order, also, updates aren't posted until that night". The charge posted on the 18th, and according to what I found out today, the order still hasn't shipped. So they took my money, but they can't send my merchandise in a timely fashion.

It's just been one excuse after another over the last three days, and it seems that no one at Performance really knows what is going on.

Too bad, too. Most of the prices are pretty good.

The End of the Story

I called customer service this morning and informed them that I would be refusing the package. The rep was very nice and 'made a note' on my account that the order would be returned.

At least one rep at Performance could help me.

I recently paced a pretty large order on line for comonents to build up a new frame. I received an emial acknowledgemnt of the order, but after a few days I noticed the charge hadn't shown up on my bank account. I checked my account with Performance on line and it showed the order but there was no tracking number. I called and the customer service representative simply couldn't figure wout why the order hadn't been processed. So they cancelled that order and I placed a new order with that rep on the phone. (But by that time I had found a much better deal on some of the items so the new order was smaller). That has never happened before. I've noticed other signs of touble for months. They just don't have as much in stock as the previously did. I go there looking for things and they don't have them. When they have sales many times the item is available only in one size or very limited options. Result = I buy less stuff from them. And right now they are soliciting Team members to renew their memberships early in exchage for $10 in team points. That could indicate a cash flow problem. Their shipping charges seem high too. I have been a Performance customer for 30 years so I don't like to see this - I hope it gets better.