Performance Bikes

catzz66 wrote:
> There is a new Performance store moving in right across the freeway from
> my office. Should I be happy?

I like some of their things, such as their century shorts. "name" brand
shorts are going for astronomical prices these days, and since you need
to change them every few days, you need more than one pair...

--

David L. Johnson

And what if you track down these men and kill them, what if you killed
all of us? From every corner of Europe, hundreds, thousands would
rise up to take our places. Even Nazis can't kill that fast.
-- Paul Henreid (Casablanca).

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 12:15:11 -0500, catzz66
<[email protected]> wrote:
>There is a new Performance store moving in right across the freeway from
>my office. Should I be happy?

I think I'd rather have an REI move into town, since they usually have
more stuff I'm interested in. Performance, I'm happy to have mail
order; no sales tax, selection in the catalog and web site is good
enough, I know what size clothes I need.

Somebody here mentioned they were on their fifth or sixth tire pump
from Performance. If I'd bought one of those, I'd be happy to be able
to easily return it when it broke. But for tools and components, I'm
more likely to go name brand than house brand.

Pat

Email address works as is.

Absolutely right, Pat:

I buy virtually everything (over $50) on line. Except for things that need
to be tried on for size, like jerseys:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=22763&subcategory_ID=1110

Nihilist Bike Commuter Jay

news:[email protected]...

Patrick Lamb wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 12:15:11 -0500, catzz66
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>There is a new Performance store moving in right across the freeway from
>>my office. Should I be happy?

> I think I'd rather have an REI move into town, since they usually have
> more stuff I'm interested in. Performance, I'm happy to have mail
> order; no sales tax, selection in the catalog and web site is good
> enough, I know what size clothes I need.

We have a fair sized REI. They only have one rack of bikes on display,
a limited amount of clothing, gloves and other types of supplies nearby.
It would not be my first choice if I needed anything for my bikes. I
like REI and am a member, but ours is mostly camping stuff.

catzz66 wrote:
:: Patrick Lamb wrote:
::: On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 12:15:11 -0500, catzz66
::: <[email protected]> wrote:
:::
:::: There is a new Performance store moving in right across the
:::: freeway from my office. Should I be happy?
:::
:::
::: I think I'd rather have an REI move into town, since they usually
::: have more stuff I'm interested in. Performance, I'm happy to have
::: mail order; no sales tax, selection in the catalog and web site is
::: good enough, I know what size clothes I need.
:::
::
:: We have a fair sized REI. They only have one rack of bikes on
:: display, a limited amount of clothing, gloves and other types of
:: supplies nearby. It would not be my first choice if I needed
:: anything for my bikes. I like REI and am a member, but ours is
:: mostly camping stuff.

Performance seems to be cycling specific, REI isn't. It seems much harder
to get as good a deal at REI vs. Performance, on the whole.. Does REI have
a 100% satisfaction guarantee?

On Jun 28, 3:29 pm, "Roger Zoul" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Performance seems to be cycling specific, REI isn't. It seems much harder
> to get as good a deal at REI vs. Performance, on the whole.. Does REI have
> a 100% satisfaction guarantee?

Yes, it does. REI's membership is also a lifetime thing for what,
like $15, while Team Performance is annual. The rebate you get back
from REI each year is comparable to the Team Performance points, but
better in that with REI's, you can get it back as cash if you wait a
while.

REI's prices on bike stuff tends to be comparable or higher than
Performance, but they occasionally have good sales, and their outlet
web site often has great deals on stuff I actually want to buy.

Dane Buson wrote:
> SMS <[email protected]> wrote:
>> My sister-in-law bought two bikes there and was happy with them. I
>> tried to get her to go to the nearby LBS, and she would have gone
>> there, but it was Sunday, the LBS was closed, and she wanted the bikes
>> that day.

> I've always wondered about bike shops that are closed on Sundays. I
> knew of one with those hours. Of course they closed a couple years
> ago...

Well the owner of the shop in question posts here regularly, and his
shop is doing well (I think). He has a second shop that is open on
Sunday, but it was too far away in this case. I presume that the shop
owners know if it's worth opening on Sunday or not, and if it's worth
staying open late or not. Obviously they are aware that they lose some
business by not being open when it's convenient for people to shop.

"catzz66" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> We have a fair sized REI. They only have one rack of bikes on display, a
> limited amount of clothing, gloves and other types of supplies nearby. It
> would not be my first choice if I needed anything for my bikes. I like
> REI and am a member, but ours is mostly camping stuff.

Huh, our REI has a huge bike section, with as much floor space for bikes and
related as the local Performance has for its store. Then again, it's also a
fairly big REI to begin with.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:07:16 -0500, catzz66
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Patrick Lamb wrote:
>>
>> I think I'd rather have an REI move into town, since they usually have
>> more stuff I'm interested in. Performance, I'm happy to have mail
>> order; no sales tax, selection in the catalog and web site is good
>> enough, I know what size clothes I need.
>>

>We have a fair sized REI. They only have one rack of bikes on display,
>a limited amount of clothing, gloves and other types of supplies nearby.
> It would not be my first choice if I needed anything for my bikes. I
>like REI and am a member, but ours is mostly camping stuff.

Any and all these responses naturally need to be prefaced with "YMMV."
But for me, I want a limited number of bike things; tubes, tires
(which I've only once seen the size I wanted at an REI, and never at
Performance), chains, clothes, and lights. I like Performance house
brand tops, but I can mail order those. I can't stay in a bike shop,
shopping, for more than 30 minutes or so.

But when I just want to go shopping, REI has so much more to browse
through, and look at. Bike stuff. Not too much, so move on to
camping stuff. Electronic toys. Clothes I can wear for other things,
like hiking, goofing off, etc.

Of course, that sort of shopping usually costs me. Maybe it's a good
thing the nearest REI is two hours away!

Pat

Email address works as is.

catzz66 wrote:
> There is a new Performance store moving in right across the freeway from
> my office. Should I be happy?

I like the small guy stores. They will order what I want,
they will beat or match the price of the catalog and I like
having a "bike guy/woman" to talk with.

Helps me keep my bike fine tuned.

Some of the big things like oil trainer and work rack I got
from mail order but most of the small stuff from the corner
shop.