Performance Campus Pedals

portrider

Jun 27, 2004
I'm ready to go clipless and don't want to spend a lot of $ in case I don't like it. Anyway I've been reading through the pages here trying to learn more about clipless pedals and shoes. After reading up on them I think I'd like some degree of float. I came across this setup at http://www.performancebike.com/shop...ubcategory_ID=&CFID=11941429&CFTOKEN=14942733 It's a pedal called Performance Campus Pedal. I figured that if I didn't like being clipped in I could just flip'em over. I can't find any info as to what degree of float or if there's any at all. Has anyone tried these?

Thanks!
Dan

I haven't tried the Performance pedals, but I bought similar pedals called Rodeo pedals from Nashbar. If they are at all similar, run like hell away from those things. The pedals I got were inexpensive, but they also look and work cheaply. I bought them, but won't even mount them on a junker bike. I thought the combo of clipless and platform was a good thing, but the Nashbar ones just are too cheaply made. Performance Campus ones may be better, but I thought I would share my experience with you about similar pedals. Good luck with whatever you do, and keep riding.

I actually bought these a few monthes ago because my bike didn't come with pedals and I wanted something to transition to clipless pedals with and cheap. Since they have the clipless option on one side and the platform on the other, they are good for someone learning how to use clipless pedals.

Mechanically they have been fine so far. I've ridden about 400 miles on them and not had a problem. The main thing I don't like is that now that I am used to using clipless I wish they were double-sided. It can be really annoying and dangerous trying to figure out which side to clip into all the time. However, at this point I'm pretty used to it but still wished I had put that $30 into better pedals...

I think those are SPD clips, which probably have limited float, maybe +/- 4 degrees... I woudn't recommend starting with those pedals. It's pretty easy to learn to ride w/clipless if you have any kind of reasonable experience on the bike (I wouldn't recommend platform pedals w/clips on one side).

If you're a roadie (you didn't say what kind of riding you'll do), I'd recommend finding something used on ebay for 30-40 bucks (make sure they come with the full cleat/mounting kit). Perhaps a set of speedplay X2's, or maybe Shimano SPD-SL (like the R600s), or something similar at a good price.

If you're doing MTBing, you might have to go w/some kind of SPD-R, I hear speedplay frog's or time atac's are great if you find a deal there.

There are a lot of different clipless pedals out there, each w/slightly different engagement mechanisms, float, weight, etc... if you're just getting into clipless used let's you experiment w/decent quality until you find the ones that float yer boat. ;)

In no small part to the advice given here I've decided to can this and go with the Shimano MTB PD-M520. If I don't like them I'm only out about $45. I'll give something with more float a try. They will go on a Gary Fisher Tarpon. I ride more often on the road but do more miles on trails. Someday I'll go with a hybird.

Thanks All!

Dan

PS - You might find a set of Shimano MTB PD-M520 for sale real cheap soon. LOL!

I think you will happy with the Shimano pedals. At that price point, function will be just fine, they will just not be quite as sexy as some other pedals. I have cheaper clipless on my mountain bike, and have never felt the strong desire for upgrade. Good luck and keep riding.