Performance Cycle

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by bill in pa, Jul 24, 2010.

1. bill in pa

bill in pa New Member

Checked out the new bike shop in town, very nice. 2 days open, I won a mount on the luggage rack bag, raffle. nice bag, retails for 39.99! Lots of zippers and compartments. Perfect. I need tires for my Del Sol Comfort bike, it has dry rotted 26x1.95s on now, I saw in the shop, on sale some nice 26x1.75s a brand made for them I believe. I checked reviews and all were pretty good. $11.99 per tire. I'm on a budget and these look enticing. I could use a little more speed so these should have less resistance. What do you think folks? Thanks for any input. I ride mostly paved paths and roads with some gravel parts on the trail. No mountain stuff, too old for that. I ride www.irontonrailtrail.com Check it out.

Bill

Tags:

2. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

You didn't give us the brand and model of the tire you found, but assuming you read reviews on them then why ask us? If the reviews were high and the price is low and you can afford them then you got a good deal.

I bought a 3 pair of Kenda Konstrictor tires for my road bikes. These tires sold for $40, I paid $18. I too read the reviews and they were all high with a few complaints about difficulty putting them on. They were difficult to put on, but the sidewalls are puncture resistant. Their light and fast, and so far with over 500 miles on one of the pairs, there are no cracks, cut's, splits, and I've had no flats. Those tires are way better the Conti GP4000's or the Gatorskins.

I said all of that crap to say this, you read the reviews, you got a good tire at a good price, you really don't need our opinions after the fact.

3. bill in pa

bill in pa New Member

I was being a bit conversational

4. bill in pa

bill in pa New Member

Froze..you need a lesson in civility. Do you know what that means? I doubt it. I was being conversational, asking an honest (newbie) question and I get a wise guy answer like yours? I suggest you step back, take a deep breath and relax, you're rather up tight.
    Bill

5. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

I am a wise guy, thanks for pointing out the obvious, in fact that was so obvious that I'm surprised you didn't find the obvious in what you did by asking us what we thought after you bought them. You should have obviously considered you made an effort to read the reviews and made a good deal and leave it at that. What would you have done if I would have said you got schitty tires and a horrid deal? Take them back after you already used them? Or come back and say I was uncivil towards you? Your one of those malcontents (do you know what that means?) who would have found fault no matter what I would have said.

Ok, I'm sorry for hurting your itsy bitsy feelings, please forgive me so I don't stay up all night crying.

6. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

Froze, relax with the stupid bullsh!t already, act your age.

bill in pa, Froze in no way shape or form represents cycling.com as a whole. There are plenty of others on here with ten times the knowledge and are always willing to help, that's what we, i say we but i have ten times less knowledge of products than most, are here to do. The cycling community, outside of people like Froze when he's bleeding from his vagina on all of our pc screens, are a good people.

Welcome.

7. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

btw, for further cycling equipment related questions such as questions concerning your tires, you might want to post your question down in the 'cycling equipment' section located two sections below the bike cafe as you'll have more of a chance of getting a straight answer and by more experienced people.

Preston.

8. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA. That's great. I love you man!!

9. roadhouse

roadhouse New Member

good, then it's settled, you'll have no problems blowing me.

10. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

I thought I was the child here? And you go off with sick sexual comments...who's the bigger child now? Wait, don't answer that, you'll be in denial anyways.

11. CdnRider

CdnRider New Member

Bill

absolutely nothing wrong with your post IMO. You're asking for people's opinions and feedbacks from this forum specifically. I think most of us have questions once in a while that warrant fair and honest replies. Regardless whether you have the product on hand or not. It's an honest request....like roadhouse mentioned. Post in cycling equipment next time. More appropriate section. Maybe one of the moderators can move this.

12. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Tire width's effect on rolling resistance isn't what you'd think. For the two sizes you mentioned, if they're inflated to the same pressure, the wider tires will have lower rolling resistance (assuming the tires have identical tread, construction, and etc.) because the tire will deform less as it passes through the contact patch. For the narrower tire to have less rolling resistance than the wider tire, the narrower tire needs to be inflated to at least some specific pressure (a function of rider/bike weight and differences in tire widths). What that means is, you'll lose some comfort/bump absorption by going to a narrower tire and inflating to achieve a lower rolling resistance compared to the wider flavor.

13. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

If you want the facts and nothing but the facts read this: All About Bicycle Tires and Tubes
    and this:
    Rolling resistance of Tires by Jobst Brandt

14. alienator

15. bill in pa

bill in pa New Member

Thank you so much, this is a great article, very informative!
    Bill

16. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Well you obviously didn't read what was written either!

17. alienator

Oh, how so?

18. bill in pa

bill in pa New Member

Has anyone used Forte tires?
    Bill

19. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

20. bill in pa

bill in pa New Member