Performance, Nashbar, Supergo same Co. True or false?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jeff, Apr 26, 2003.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Somewhere I read that Performance, Nashbar and Supergo where owned by the same company. Is
    that true?

    Tags:

  2. "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Somewhere I read that Performance, Nashbar and Supergo where owned by the same company. Is
    > that true?

    Yes, Performance owns Nashbar and SuperGo.

  3. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in news:KlAqa.1475$ur7.60058678 @newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:
    > Somewhere I read that Performance, Nashbar and Supergo where owned by the same company. Is
    > that true?

    True. Makes you wonder why their prices are sometimes much different.

  4. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

  5. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > @newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

    > > Somewhere I read that Performance, Nashbar and Supergo
    where owned by the
    > > same company. Is that true?
    >
    > True. Makes you wonder why their prices are sometimes much
    different.

    They probably operate as entirely separate companies. In fact the mail order and retail operations
    of both Performance and Supergo are entirely different. Each one of those is essentially two
    different companies, so between them that's four. Supergo and Performance stores are completely
    different, and are obviously run completely differently. I don't know what the deal is with Nashbar,
    if they even have stores or whatever, but I'm sure it's the same thing.

    It's not necessary to integrate everything. Sometimes it's more trouble/expense than it's worth.
    What's important is having the cash/credit resources of the bigger company, along with the buying
    power for inventory, advertising, real estate, and insurance. Sharing things like legal and HR
    expenses helps too.

    And let's not forget being able to corner the market.

    Matt O.

  6. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected] et...

    > Actually, if it's the same one I'm thinking of, SuperGo
    started out as
    > an LBS on Whilsire Blvd in El Lay, right near my high
    school.

    > It was called Bikecology back then (over a quarter century
    ago).

    > Now THEY may have been bought out too. I don't know.

    It is indeed the same business.

    I think they moved a couple of times before their current Santa Monica store. I also remember there
    being both the Santa Monica and Fountain Valley "Bikecology" stores. I think the original owner had
    sold out by then, before the name changed to Supergo. Since then they've grown to at least one more
    store, and now have been bought by Performance.

    Matt O.

  7. Dave M Wyman

    Dave M Wyman Guest

    Matt O'Toole wrote:

    > I think they moved a couple of times before their current Santa Monica store. I also remember
    > there being both the Santa Monica and Fountain Valley "Bikecology" stores. I think the original
    > owner had sold out by then, before the name changed to Supergo. Since then they've grown to at
    > least one more store, and now have been bought by Performance.

    Supergo was first known as Bikecology, and there were several Bikecology stores in the greater L.A.
    area. Until the recent purchase by Performance, there has been only one owner.

    In the mid 1970s, the mail order division of Bikecology sold sleeping bags and pocket knives and
    camping stoves - it was the time of the Bikecentennial rides across America. The enterprise almost
    crashed - for whatever reasons - and the owner sold off the outlying stores along with the
    Bikecology name, but kept the original Santa Monica location for himself.

    There were, therefore, still several bike shops with the same name - Bikecology - but owned by
    different entities.

    The original Bikecology righted itself- Sleeping bags and were out - and became incredibly
    successful again, slowly changing its name to Supergo (for a long time the business had both names).
    There are still at least two other L.A. Bikecology stores I'm aware of, one in West Los Angeles, the
    other in Torrance.

    Dave

  8. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    everytime THEY send my order to guam, i call to bitch and speak with the same voice.

  9. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

  10. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "g.daniels" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > everytime THEY send my order to guam, i call to bitch and speak with the
    > same voice.
    >
    > Call? You should write them a letter. That'll teach 'em!

    Well, actually at the end zone the customer service rep has always been very nice and helpful in
    fact in one unusual circumstance the group bailed me out after fumbling several times as we ran down
    the field with my mail odor. HOWEVER, taken as a hole, the bike parts routine must be dealt with as
    if one had ventured into the monkey house needing brain surgery. The entire routine must be clearly
    laid out understood and repeated back and forth several times if there's any deviation from 'normal'
    procedures. There may be a prevailing attitude amung the lesser wharehouse folk that cyclists are
    engaged insumkinda frivolous hobby activity that doesn't need the attention normally given to eating
    fruitloops at 6am.