Performance Pedals

Mark Wolfe

Guest
Performance bike has some magneseum/Ti pedals going on sale next week. I was wondering what the
general opinion is on these things. They seem awfully light, and the price is right. I'm having to
move to spd road pedals due to my current work situation, and I'm leaning towards a set of these.
Also, I'm 210lbs right now so I'm wondering if they'll hold up for me?

Thanks, Mark Wolfe

"Mark Wolfe" <[email protected]> wrote

Performance bike has some magneseum/Ti pedals going on sale next week.
> I was wondering what the general opinion is on these
things.................................
> I'm having to move
> to spd road pedals
....................... Also, I'm 210lbs right now ............

Mark,

What advantage are you trying for with mag/ti pedals. Gram shaving will not result in any
performance difference.

I like the "MTB" style double sided spds, as they are easy to click into even when I don't know or
care which side is up. In terms of function and reliability for a relatively inexpensive SPD pedal,
I doubt you will do much better than the Shimano PD-M525 on special at Harris
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/pedals.html#clipless

Regards, Larry

> Performance bike has some magneseum/Ti pedals going on sale next week. .....Also, I'm 210lbs right
> now so I'm wondering if they'll hold up for me?

If they're Ti axles, I wouldn't use them at 210lbs. I'm "only" 182 lbs, and have done in several Ti
axles. Bad news. There are better places to save weight.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReaction.com

That's what I figured, they have the same with chro-mo axles. I have to walk about 100 yards or so
when I get to work, and doing that in the looks suck, so I was going to go spd.

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

>> Performance bike has some magneseum/Ti pedals going on sale next week. .....Also, I'm 210lbs
>> right now so I'm wondering if they'll hold up for me?
>
> If they're Ti axles, I wouldn't use them at 210lbs. I'm "only" 182 lbs, and have done in several
> Ti axles. Bad news. There are better places to save weight.
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReaction.com

Mark Wolfe <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<w4%[email protected]>...
> Performance bike has some magneseum/Ti pedals going on sale next week.
> --------------

I have a set I bought around october or so (last time they went on sale) and use almost every day...
no problems yet. I'm a svelte 165#, and dont sprint much though. Cant vouch for a standing hill
sprint by a big guy....

The one thing I dont really like about them is that the dust seals (still) seem overly tight and
prevent them from spinning freely and hanging predictably, so you have to look and turn them right
side up sometimes prior to getting it. Not usually an issue if you can stay clipped in at lights. ;)

mark-<< Performance bike has some magneseum/Ti pedals going on sale next week. I was wondering what
the general opinion is on these things. They seem awfully light, and the price is right.

<< Also, I'm 210lbs right now so I'm wondering if they'll hold up for me?

See above thread on ti pedal spindles-I think that they are NOT a good idea for you-

> That's what I figured, they have the same with chro-mo axles. I have to walk about 100 yards or so
> when I get to work, and doing that in the looks suck, so I was going to go spd.

LOOKs are great pedal systems. Obviously the better solution is to find a job where you don't have
to walk 100 yards in your shoes!

"Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in news:jPt8a.408
[email protected]:

>> That's what I figured, they have the same with chro-mo axles. I have to walk about 100 yards or
>> so when I get to work, and doing that in the looks suck, so I was going to go spd.
>
> LOOKs are great pedal systems. Obviously the better solution is to find a job where you don't have
> to walk 100 yards in your shoes!

You could take your shoes off.

Ken

On Sat, 01 Mar 2003 09:30:04 GMT, Mark Wolfe <[email protected]> wrote:

>Performance bike has some magneseum/Ti pedals going on sale next week. I was wondering what the
>general opinion is on these things. They seem awfully light, and the price is right. I'm having to
>move to spd road pedals due to my current work situation, and I'm leaning towards a set of these.
>Also, I'm 210lbs right now so I'm wondering if they'll hold up for me?

The price is even more right for the pedals right next to them in the Performance flier. An added
benefit, the cheaper ones are two sided. If you're trying to shave a few grams carry only one
water bottle.
:)