Performance Products

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by The Airman, Apr 21, 2003.

  1. The Airman

    The Airman Guest

    For anyone ordering from Performance Products:

    Be careful about ordering product from their website. I ordered a jacket and jersey last week (along
    with a few other items) and when the package showed up, the key items, the jacket and jersey were
    missing. Upon calling them, they told me that they "advertise items on the website, and do not know
    if anything is in stock, even though they take your credit card and pre-authorize it BEFORE they
    even fill the order".. what a scam.

    Now it is going to be real cold on this weekend's Ironman ride.

    Thanks Performance Products!

    Ed

    Tags:

  2. dennisg

    dennisg New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2003
    This doesn't sound like a scam. You weren't bilked out of any money. But they should have notified you that one or more items you'd ordered weren't in stock.

  3. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    If you don't get satisfaction, call customer service. If they can't help, ask for Chris. If Chris
    can't help, and I know he can, Sue is the next manager up. If you need something real bad and right
    now, it's just not the company to deal with.

    "The Airman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > For anyone ordering from Performance Products:
    >
    > Be careful about ordering product from their website. I ordered a jacket and jersey last week
    > (along with a few other items) and when the package

  4. Harris

    Harris Guest

    dennisg <[email protected]> wrote:
    > This doesn't sound like a scam. You weren't bilked out of any money. But they should have notified
    > you that one or more items you'd ordered weren't in stock.

    The problem I've had with Performance is that their sale items are very often out of stock, but the
    order is accepted anyway. Since you're putting in an order anyway, you will likely order some small
    items like bar tape or inner tubes. Then you get a package without the item you really wanted and
    find out you've paid $5 shipping on a roll of tape.

    Best bet is to order by phone and specify that the order should be cancelled unless ALL items
    are in stock.

    Art Harris

  5. The Airman

    The Airman Guest

    Hi Harris-

    I did call, and was told it was in stock. I am pissed that I was lied to. Now I have to ride in the
    cold, thanks to depending on them for an XXL jacket size. So much for depending on them. I have
    ordered in the past and they have been fair in service. It it forecasted to be in the upper
    30'sF/lower 40's on the ride.

    Ed Deppe Minnesota

    "Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > dennisg <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > This doesn't sound like a scam. You weren't bilked out of any money. But they should have
    > > notified you that one or more items you'd ordered weren't in stock.
    >
    > The problem I've had with Performance is that their sale items are very often out of stock, but
    > the order is accepted anyway. Since you're putting in an order anyway, you will likely order some
    > small items like bar tape or inner tubes. Then you get a package without the item you really
    > wanted and find out you've paid $5 shipping on a roll of tape.
    >
    > Best bet is to order by phone and specify that the order should be cancelled unless ALL items are
    > in stock.
    >
    > Art Harris

  6. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    The Airman wrote:
    > For anyone ordering from Performance Products:
    >
    > Be careful about ordering product from their website. I ordered a jacket and jersey last week
    > (along with a few other items) and when the package showed up, the key items, the jacket and
    > jersey were missing. Upon calling them, they told me that they "advertise items on the website,
    > and do not know if anything is in stock, even though they take your credit card and pre-authorize
    > it BEFORE they even fill the order".. what a scam.
    >
    > Now it is going to be real cold on this weekend's Ironman ride.
    >
    > Thanks Performance Products!
    >
    > Ed

    I've had very good experiences with Performance. However, any time that you order on line, you take
    that risk. I don't know of a single company that guarantees that it's on line inventory count is
    always accurate -- how many people put things in the basket and don't buy 'em or have their credit
    card rejected, or typed something incorrect and get the order rejected, etc.? So, it can't reduce
    the inventory until the order is reviewed and the products shipped. If you absolutely HAVE to have
    something in short order, get it locally.

    David

  7. Mgc

    Mgc Guest

    I stopped dealing with Performance and Nashbar long ago because of the shenanigans. If you really
    need something, buy it from your local shop or do the deal by phone and make them check stock. "The
    Airman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > For anyone ordering from Performance Products:
    >
    > Be careful about ordering product from their website. I ordered a jacket and jersey last week
    > (along with a few other items) and when the package showed up, the key items, the jacket and
    > jersey were missing. Upon
    calling
    > them, they told me that they "advertise items on the website, and do not know if anything is in
    > stock, even though they take your credit card and pre-authorize it BEFORE they even fill the
    > order".. what a scam.
    >
    > Now it is going to be real cold on this weekend's Ironman ride.
    >
    > Thanks Performance Products!
    >
    > Ed

  8. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "MGC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I stopped dealing with Performance and Nashbar long ago because of the shenanigans. If you really
    > need something, buy it from your local shop
    <snip rest>

    Exactly...any LBS can get you anything you need - often faster than Performance (or anyone else)
    could have shipped it out to you. My shop can get anything anyone has ever needed in 2 days, and
    between Hawley, J&B, and Quality, we're never out of stock.

    Don't shop online unless they're offering one of those so-good-I-don't-know-if-I-should-trust-it
    deals...and even then, do it over the phone.

    Chris

  9. George

    George Guest

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 02:16:07 GMT, "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote:

    I just ordered shoes, pedals, and tires from Nashbar. Got everything I ordered and saved 20% using
    cupon code CEM6.

    I understand LBS not liking online shoppers, but please don't begrudge us our savings. Our money is
    as hard to come by as yours. Every bit we save helps.

    >"MGC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> I stopped dealing with Performance and Nashbar long ago because of the shenanigans. If you really
    >> need something, buy it from your local shop
    ><snip rest>
    >
    >Exactly...any LBS can get you anything you need - often faster than Performance (or anyone else)
    >could have shipped it out to you. My shop can get anything anyone has ever needed in 2 days, and
    >between Hawley, J&B, and Quality, we're never out of stock.
    >
    >Don't shop online unless they're offering one of those so-good-I-don't-know-if-I-should-trust-it
    >deals...and even then, do it over the phone.
    >
    >Chris

  10. Harris

    Harris Guest

    George <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I just ordered shoes, pedals, and tires from Nashbar. Got everything I ordered and saved 20% using
    > cupon code CEM6.

    Where did you get that from?

    Art Harris

  11. The Airman

    The Airman Guest

    I do go to my LBS when I can, but if I can save, I will by ordering online.

    The hogwash of going to the LBS and spending more $$ for service is a bunch of BS. I am sure the LBS
    people - when they fly to Interbike- do they look for the lowest airfare? or do they just walk into
    the local CTO (city ticket office) office of the airline and buy the highest fare...

    Sure... what a laugh.

    I have had good luck buying online. I just don't trust what Performance says anymore.

    Ed

    "George" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 02:16:07 GMT, "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > I just ordered shoes, pedals, and tires from Nashbar. Got everything I ordered and saved 20% using
    > cupon code CEM6.
    >
    > I understand LBS not liking online shoppers, but please don't begrudge us our savings. Our money
    > is as hard to come by as yours. Every bit we save helps.
    >

    > >"MGC" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >> I stopped dealing with Performance and Nashbar long ago because of the shenanigans. If you
    > >> really need something, buy it from your local shop
    > ><snip rest>
    > >
    > >Exactly...any LBS can get you anything you need - often faster than Performance (or anyone else)
    > >could have shipped it out to you. My shop
    can
    > >get anything anyone has ever needed in 2 days, and between Hawley, J&B,
    and
    > >Quality, we're never out of stock.
    > >
    > >Don't shop online unless they're offering one of those so-good-I-don't-know-if-I-should-trust-it
    > >deals...and even then, do it
    over
    > >the phone.
    > >
    > >Chris

  12. Billx

    Billx Guest

    I've bought from both Performance and Nashbar in the past and haven't had any problems with them
    willing my orders or the quality of their products. Recently I've been throwing more business to my
    LBS because they've had components/parts at prices the same or lower than Performance and Nashbar.
    All things being equal I'll always go with the LBS because there's shipping to recon with through
    Performance/Nashbar. Seems like they've become a lot more pricey in the past two years but that's
    their choice. Mine is simply who I buy from :)

    The Airman wrote in message ...
    >I do go to my LBS when I can, but if I can save, I will by ordering online.
    >
    >The hogwash of going to the LBS and spending more $$ for service is a bunch of BS. I am sure the
    >LBS people - when they fly to Interbike- do they
    look
    >for the lowest airfare? or do they just walk into the local CTO (city
    ticket
    >office) office of the airline and buy the highest fare...
    >
    >Sure... what a laugh.
    >
    >I have had good luck buying online. I just don't trust what Performance says anymore.
    >
    >Ed
    >
    >"George" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 02:16:07 GMT, "Chris" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >> I just ordered shoes, pedals, and tires from Nashbar. Got everything I ordered and saved 20%
    >> using cupon code CEM6.
    >>
    >> I understand LBS not liking online shoppers, but please don't begrudge us our savings. Our money
    >> is as hard to come by as yours. Every bit we save helps.

    >> ><snip rest>
    >> >
    >> >Exactly...any LBS can get you anything you need - often faster than Performance (or anyone else)
    >> >could have shipped it out to you. My shop
    >can
    >> >get anything anyone has ever needed in 2 days, and between Hawley, J&B,
    >and
    >> >Quality, we're never out of stock.
    >> >
    >> >Don't shop online unless they're offering one of those so-good-I-don't-know-if-I-should-trust-it
    >> >deals...and even then, do it
    >over
    >> >the phone.
    >> >
    >> >Chris

  13. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "The Airman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I do go to my LBS when I can, but if I can save, I will by ordering
    online.

    > The hogwash of going to the LBS and spending more $$ for service is a
    bunch
    > of BS. I am sure the LBS people - when they fly to Interbike- do they
    look
    > for the lowest airfare? or do they just walk into the local CTO (city
    ticket
    > office) office of the airline and buy the highest fare...
    >
    > Sure... what a laugh.
    >
    > <snip>

    My post didn't stress the point that shopping at the LBS is good for your karma (bikema?), my point
    was if you *really* need something - like the OP *really* needed clothes in a size not commonly
    stocked - than the direct face-to-face service found at the LBS will always be the best: a real
    person (whom you should probably know on a first name basis) is there to tell you when it'll be
    there and how much it'l cost, and they'll be there again if there are problems.

    I know all about online shopping: before I was offered a job at my LBS, I'd go in to show off my
    fancy new internetted parts to all my friends there - they even let me use their tools and
    workstands (no charge) to install my PricePoint/Jenson/Cambria kit. We both knew I was getting the
    parts at what amounted to about a 10% markup over their cost, and that as much as I would have liked
    to, I couldn't have shopped with them and still eaten 7 days a week.

    However, if I had a race in a week and needed a specific, say, shirt - like the OP - I'd have been
    at the LBS, no doubt.

    As a former mostly-online shopper and a current LBS (real LBS by the way...local owned, not a chain)
    employee, I recommend ordering online when you have all the time in the world - but only after
    checking prices against your LBS' best.

    Chris

  14. The Airman

    The Airman Guest

    Hi Chris-

    Yes I know- it is nice to have a LBS. I have my own bike stand and tools, and do my own work when I
    have the time. I do buy from the LBS, and having Quality Bike Products here in Bloomington MN, keeps
    the supply ok.

    Ed

    > "The Airman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I do go to my LBS when I can, but if I can save, I will by ordering
    > online.
    > >
    > > The hogwash of going to the LBS and spending more $$ for service is a
    > bunch
    > > of BS. I am sure the LBS people - when they fly to Interbike- do they
    > look
    > > for the lowest airfare? or do they just walk into the local CTO (city
    > ticket
    > > office) office of the airline and buy the highest fare...
    > >
    > > Sure... what a laugh.
    > >
    > > <snip>
    >
    > My post didn't stress the point that shopping at the LBS is good for your karma (bikema?), my
    > point was if you *really* need something - like the OP *really* needed clothes in a size not
    > commonly stocked - than the direct face-to-face service found at the LBS will always be the
    > best: a real
    person
    > (whom you should probably know on a first name basis) is there to tell you when it'll be there and
    > how much it'l cost, and they'll be there again if there are problems.
    >
    > I know all about online shopping: before I was offered a job at my LBS,
    I'd
    > go in to show off my fancy new internetted parts to all my friends there - they even let me use
    > their tools and workstands (no charge) to install my PricePoint/Jenson/Cambria kit. We both knew I
    > was getting the parts at
    what
    > amounted to about a 10% markup over their cost, and that as much as I
    would
    > have liked to, I couldn't have shopped with them and still eaten 7 days a week.
    >
    > However, if I had a race in a week and needed a specific, say, shirt -
    like
    > the OP - I'd have been at the LBS, no doubt.
    >
    > As a former mostly-online shopper and a current LBS (real LBS by the way...local owned, not a
    > chain) employee, I recommend ordering online when you have all the time in the world - but only
    > after checking prices
    against
    > your LBS' best.
    >
    > Chris

  15. Tomp

    Tomp Guest

    Yesterday I bought a set of wheels from Performance Bike, at the walk in store in Torrance, Ca.

    The set of wheels I wanted (on the web site) were out of stock. Found this out when I tried to
    go to 'check out.' Bummer because I had a 20% off coupon I could have used. The walk in store
    had the same set of wheels, only with black rims instead of sliver (my first choice) for $240.
    The web site had them on sale for $209. The walk in store manager matched that price.

    Result: I got the wheels yesterday and saved shipping.

    It's all what you make it.

    --

    Tp

    -------- __o ----- -\<. ------ __o --- ( ) / ( ) ---- -\<. ----------------- ( ) / ( )

    Freedom is not free; Free men are not equal; Equal men are not free.

  16. Art

    Art Guest

    Harris <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > George <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I just ordered shoes, pedals, and tires from Nashbar. Got everything I ordered and saved 20%
    > > using cupon code CEM6.
    >
    > Where did you get that from?
    >
    > Art Harris

    They send out discount coupon codes to previous customers. They say that it's their way of
    saying thanks.

  17. Harris

    Harris Guest

    "Art" wrote:
    > > George wrote:
    > >
    > > > I just ordered shoes, pedals, and tires from Nashbar. Got everything I ordered and saved 20%
    > > > using cupon code CEM6.
    > >
    > > Where did you get that from?
    > >
    > > Art Harris
    >
    > They send out discount coupon codes to previous customers. They say that it's their way of
    > saying thanks.

    I've been buying from Nashbar since the late '70s (Bike Warehouse then) and never got a coupon.
    But then, I'm always hitting them up for price matches, so they probably don't want to say
    "thanks" to me. <g>

    Art Harris