Performance riding vs losing weight

Discussion in 'Clydesdales 200lb / 90kg + riders' started by Beingcre8tive, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Beingcre8tive

Beingcre8tive New Member

I've realized that I need to start off the riding season at the weight I need to be because once it starts I need to eat to perform and I end up staying at the same weight. Heres to hoping I can get the weight off this winter!

Tags:

2. frbock

frbock New Member

No, you need to eat correctly once the riding season starts. probably .8 to 1.5g of protein per lb per day. Assuming 200lb, that's 640 - 1200 calories in protein. Probably starting at the higher number, and backing down once the initial muscle growth is done. The rest is fats and long chain carbs.
    Cycling is efficient, so, it's not a really good weight loss exercise, but, it does happen.
    For an approximation of how much energy you're burning off try .28* (your weight + bike) * miles ridden.
    It's not perfect, but it gets you into the ballpark, and it's quick and easy.

3. Pat Stowe

Pat Stowe New Member

I used to break spokes almost every ride and crack rims frequently the fixes?
    1,) DT or Wheelsmith spokes 2.0 X !.8 double butted, NOT straight gauge, the thin part can stretch enough to aborb damaging stress, really!
    2.) Handmade wheels, with spoke preparation by spoke mfr or loktite (purple), linseed oil etc.
    3.) "mirror image" lacing, ( the "driving" spokes should be on either on the outside of the flanges or the inside, per preference not L or R
    5.) double wall rims as Mavic etc mentionedin earlier replies
    4.) rims with reinforced double ended ferrules that reinforce the spoke holes and anchor to both rim walls ie: most Campy, Mavic open pros, sups etc

4. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Complete BS. Rims with eyelets make wheels easier to build, but they don't offer any durability advantage over rims without eyelets.

5. Pat Stowe

Pat Stowe New Member

I wasn't talking about simple eyelets. I've worked with thousands of wheels and eylets DO add strength.

6. alienator

No they don't. Just because you claim to have built " thousands of wheels" doesn't mean you actually understand the physics of what you claim. In fact, having built a lot of wheels is not at all related to the factual evidence of how eyelets affect "strength". You've no studies. You've done no tests.

7. alienator

Ah, I see you have trouble with critical thinking. I guess your "pro" trainer didn't cover that in your lessons. Simply put, your alleged experience says nothing about the actual physics. Sorry.

8. Pat Stowe

Pat Stowe New Member

Experience trumps theory end of story

9. frbock

frbock New Member

I realize the whole spoke thing is real, and the less spokes, the higher the load per spoke, but, it is really offbase for the original question, which was nutrition.
    Just sayin /img/vbsmilies/smilies/duck.gif

10. alienator

Ah, the intellectually lazy way out. In fact, you don't know what your experience has taught you because you haven't thought about, tested it in a rigorous. All your pro-trained butt has done is just accept things on faith. Experience used to tell sailors that the world was flat. Heck, it looked flat, right? Lazy thinkers don't have any clue how to correctly interpret what their experience has shown. Likewise we can see your education was severely limited as you have not the slightest idea about theory and what it is.

11. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

The original post wasn't really a question. It was a oddball written "hope" that they could lose some weight... by hoping, it would seem.

As with the wheels, there's this mystical thing (to some) called science. Calories in, calories expended... so simple a concept yet many seem to feel the need to resort to "hope" or magical/mystical shortcuts that ultimately don't work.

Alienator - I hear ya on the eyelet issue. I used to think that eyelets were key until Mr UK Wheel God himself, Paul Hewitt, schooled me on the subject. My next pair of wheels, Campag Lambda V rims (no eyelets) on Campag Victory were bombproof even on the crappy country roads of northern England. In the near decade of constant use the braking surfaces have to be pretty close to t-min but they've never been trued following their initial build. I still have those wheels and the fronts still get ridden during the winter months when there's big puddles and potholes that'd hide cars on some of the roads. Good ol' NorCal.

12. alienator

I've heard Paul Hewitt liked to explore what could be done with wheels. I read an interview wherein he said he build a set of track wheels for a guy that were entirely radially spoked. Yes, that would mean both the DS and NDS on the rear were radially spoked. Sir Hewitt (my designation, perhaps not the Queen's) said the wheelset worked and held up.

13. Pat Stowe

Pat Stowe New Member

My apologies for the "off base" post by the time I realized I'd put it under the wrong heading I could not delete it. I asked the administrator to remove it sevewral days ago, apparently to no avail.