Performance roof rack bike cover...

roadhog

Feb 13, 2005
I just purchased a car roof rack bike cover from Performance (the XPORT cover) which works on fork mounted roof racks. When it arrived it had a couple spots where the seams are not completely stiched together (about half inch hole in each spot). I'm going to return it as I'm sure the wind would wreak havoc on those holes, but I'm overall unimpressed with the apparent shoddy workanship in the thing and wondering if I should get a replacement or just try to get my money back and try another brand.

Anyone have a good experience with the Performance XPORT cover? Anyone recommend a different brand that has proven durable?

Bike covers are just like bras on cars...they can cause more harm than good.
Buffeting of the wind causes the cover to abrade against the finish on you bike or in the case of a bra..a car's finish. Same problem with trailering a show car on a flat bed with a cover. I would return the cover and if you don't get solid feedback here, do a search on the web for a better cover.
HTH,
George

biker7 said:
Bike covers are just like bras on cars...they can cause more harm than good.
Buffeting of the wind causes the cover to abrade against the finish on you bike or in the case of a bra..a car's finish. Same problem with trailering a show car on a flat bed with a cover. I would return the cover and if you don't get solid feedback here, do a search on the web for a better cover.
HTH,
George
Thanks for the advice. I can certainly picture the kind of abrasion you mention but not sure if we are talking about the same kind of cover. This is not a cover that fully encloses the bike, but rather forms a kind of shield in front of it. The only cover-to-bike contact is on the seat, drop handle bars, brake levers, and hoods. Thanks again.

My apology...I misunderstood. Wonder what a shield like that would do to gas mileage? I too run my bike in a fork rack up top my car...no cover though.
Be sure to keep your garage door opener in your bike bag...and you know why :)
Best of Luck,
George

biker7 said:
My apology...I misunderstood. Wonder what a shield like that would do to gas mileage? I too run my bike in a fork rack up top my car...no cover though.
Be sure to keep your garage door opener in your bike bag...and you know why :)
Best of Luck,
George

Those bike bras are good in areas of high insect density when travelling at freeway speeds for extended periods of time.

But yeah, the stitching is always the weak spot on cheap clothes/gear.

I got one for my bike. I ahd the same problem with my first cover. Opened the package and found two holes right where my brake hoods should be. I took it in, got a new one and use it every time I place my bike on my rack. It has held up over a one year period, so no bad things from me. It actually served its purpose last summer. I was behind one of those big trucks that carry livestock when one animal decided to releive himself. **** all over my car and cover, none on my bike. So, to me, it was well worth the money spent.