Performance Ultra Shorts or Ultra Bib Shorts-opinions

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by JBIthaca, Mar 2, 2006.

  1. JBIthaca

    JBIthaca Guest

    Do any of you use these shorts? Are they comfortable? How have they
    held up?

    Thanks,

    JBIthaca

    Tags:

  2. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    JBIthaca wrote:
    > Do any of you use these shorts? Are they comfortable? How have they
    > held up?

    My "best bibs" are an older pair of Ultras. Unfortunately, they changed the
    material last year to something stretchier and slipperier (fun making up
    words), and I don't care for it nearly as much. YMMV.

    They hold up fine.

    Bill S.

  3. Per JBIthaca:
    >Do any of you use these shorts? Are they comfortable? How have they
    >held up?

    If you mean bib vs regular, I'd say they each work for different situations.

    I've both and, after an initial period of liking the bibs because they cradle my
    gut fat instead of having it hang over a waistband, I've gone back to the
    regular shorts most of the time. The reason for me is heat/comfort. Unless
    it's pretty cold, the extra material of the bib shorts feels uncomfortably warm.
    It's probably not a global overheating issue - just the wrong thing in the wrong
    place at the wrong time.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  4. john

    john Guest

    JBIthaca wrote:

    >Do any of you use these shorts? Are they comfortable? How have they

    held up?

    I started shopping at Performance in the mid '80s when they 1st opened
    their Santa Monica store. Since then I have never purchased one of the
    Performance brand of clothing that has been satisfactory. I have
    occasionally been tempted by a piece of clothing - great price, just
    what I need, etc. & bought it (I don't learn very fast sometimes) only
    to be sorely disappointed, until ~1995. Perhaps they have changed, but
    I doubt it. And I'm not going to find out. I'll buy brand names there
    if the price is right.

    Good luck, John

  5. cycledogg

    cycledogg Guest

    JBIthaca wrote:
    > Do any of you use these shorts? Are they comfortable? How have they
    > held up?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > JBIthaca

    Bibs for sure.
    I use the Ultras and like-em.
    Happy riding.........

  6. Scott

    Scott Guest

    john wrote:
    > JBIthaca wrote:
    >
    > >Do any of you use these shorts? Are they comfortable? How have they

    > held up?
    >
    > I started shopping at Performance in the mid '80s when they 1st opened
    > their Santa Monica store. Since then I have never purchased one of the
    > Performance brand of clothing that has been satisfactory. I have
    > occasionally been tempted by a piece of clothing - great price, just
    > what I need, etc. & bought it (I don't learn very fast sometimes) only
    > to be sorely disappointed, until ~1995. Perhaps they have changed, but
    > I doubt it. And I'm not going to find out. I'll buy brand names there
    > if the price is right.
    >
    > Good luck, John

    Good shorts, and good shoes, are well worth the extra money. Spend a
    bit more in the beginning to get a better quality pair of shorts and
    not only will you be happier with the fit/feel/etc... they'll last
    longer, too.

    In other words, while Performance brand shorts are inexpensive, they're
    not a particularly good value.

  7. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    On 2 Mar 2006 10:39:31 -0800, "JBIthaca" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Do any of you use these shorts? Are they comfortable? How have they
    >held up?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >JBIthaca

    Hi, I use a variety of Performance shorts, and jerseys. All have been
    decent quality, very good value for money, when purchased on sale.

    I'm a member of Team Performance and it only takes a few orderd to be
    ahead.

    I had one problem with a pair of the gel pad shorts, the seam on the
    bottom of the leg let go. I returned them, after having them for a
    number of months and they sent me a new pair.

    I like the Ultras, but prefer the gel chamois. I'd say, give them a
    try.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  8. "JBIthaca" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Do any of you use these shorts? Are they comfortable? How have they
    > held up?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > JBIthaca

    Yes I have both. Although the bibs are great when it is cooler they do tend
    to run hotter though. The shorts are cooler when it is hot out.
    Bibs are neat in that it keeps the waistband from rolling down on you, if
    you have that body shape.
    The major disadvantage of bibs, is if you have to go to the bathroom, you
    pretty much have to strip down most of the way to do your business.
    That is especially difficult when you are trying to use a portapottie out
    someplace. Not counting the yucky factor either.
    I also do not like the gel versions as the gel pad is too thick and it
    tends to bunch up on you causing discomfort.

  9. landotter

    landotter Guest

    For what it's worth, I've got a pair of their former top-o-the line
    (for Performance at least :p) that I bought 7 years ago. I'd say I've
    got three years of actually riding in them and am flabbergasted at the
    quality of the shorts. Not Pearl Izumi mind, but the lycra is really
    heavy weight and they look to be able to go another three years. A
    great value.

  10. In article
    <[email protected]>,
    "Earl Bollinger" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "JBIthaca" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Do any of you use these shorts? Are they comfortable? How have they
    > > held up?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > JBIthaca
    > >

    > Yes I have both. Although the bibs are great when it is cooler they do tend
    > to run hotter though. The shorts are cooler when it is hot out.
    > Bibs are neat in that it keeps the waistband from rolling down on you, if
    > you have that body shape.
    > The major disadvantage of bibs, is if you have to go to the bathroom, you
    > pretty much have to strip down most of the way to do your business.
    > That is especially difficult when you are trying to use a portapottie out
    > someplace. Not counting the yucky factor either.

    The bibs I have are hemmed at the navel; the elastic
    material can be pulled down in front without shifting the
    straps.

    [...]

    --
    Michael Press

  11. Jay Beattie

    Jay Beattie Guest

    Scott wrote:
    > john wrote:
    > > JBIthaca wrote:
    > >
    > > >Do any of you use these shorts? Are they comfortable? How have they

    > > held up?
    > >
    > > I started shopping at Performance in the mid '80s when they 1st opened
    > > their Santa Monica store. Since then I have never purchased one of the
    > > Performance brand of clothing that has been satisfactory. I have
    > > occasionally been tempted by a piece of clothing - great price, just
    > > what I need, etc. & bought it (I don't learn very fast sometimes) only
    > > to be sorely disappointed, until ~1995. Perhaps they have changed, but
    > > I doubt it. And I'm not going to find out. I'll buy brand names there
    > > if the price is right.
    > >
    > > Good luck, John

    > Good shorts, and good shoes, are well worth the extra money. Spend a
    > bit more in the beginning to get a better quality pair of shorts and
    > not only will you be happier with the fit/feel/etc... they'll last
    > longer, too.

    Not necessarily true. My cheap-o Nashbar tights are outliving my Pearl
    Izumis. Price is no guaranty of quality.

    > In other words, while Performance brand shorts are inexpensive, they're
    > not a particularly good value.

    I have three pairs of Performance bibs -- the standard synthetic padded
    chamoise (not gel), and they are comfortable; they fit, and they have
    held up well. They are not mega-buck Assos, but they are not crap. Well
    worth the price, particularly on sale.

  12. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 19:03:01 GMT, "Sorni" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >My "best bibs" are an older pair of Ultras. Unfortunately, they changed the
    >material last year to something stretchier and slipperier (fun making up
    >words), and I don't care for it nearly as much. YMMV.

    They also cut the waistband higher. You can pull them above your
    belly and the don't slip down. The inseam is longer.

  13. Jay Beattie wrote:

    > I have three pairs of Performance bibs -- the standard synthetic padded
    > chamoise (not gel), and they are comfortable; they fit, and they have
    > held up well. They are not mega-buck Assos, but they are not crap. Well
    > worth the price, particularly on sale.

    I've been pretty happy with some Performance shorts too. Which chamois
    is in your favorites? The Monolith shown at the top of the Chamois
    Gallery here?

    http://www.geocities.com/almost_fast/shorts/chamois/

    Yes, I'm a little obsessed with shorts and my crotch's comfort...

  14. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > I've been pretty happy with some Performance shorts too. Which chamois
    > is in your favorites? The Monolith shown at the top of the Chamois
    > Gallery here?
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/almost_fast/shorts/chamois/
    >
    > Yes, I'm a little obsessed with shorts and my crotch's comfort...

    A) They (chamois, not crotches) all look alike; and

    B) Too much information!!!

    Bill "any pad but gel for me" S.

  15. Jay Beattie

    Jay Beattie Guest

    Sorni wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > > I've been pretty happy with some Performance shorts too. Which chamois
    > > is in your favorites? The Monolith shown at the top of the Chamois
    > > Gallery here?
    > >
    > > http://www.geocities.com/almost_fast/shorts/chamois/
    > >
    > > Yes, I'm a little obsessed with shorts and my crotch's comfort...

    > A) They (chamois, not crotches) all look alike; and
    >
    > B) Too much information!!!
    >
    > Bill "any pad but gel for me" S.

    I can live with gel, but it usually feels like I have a full diaper. I
    like something a bit thinner. Chamois seams are a big issue for me --
    as well as bulky seams anywhere on the short. These can really chafe.
    Material weight also is important because I tend to wear holes at the
    inside of the thigh real fast on some light weight shorts and tights.

    By the way, I am not prepared to say that the Performance shorts are
    better than some mega buck short because I have never owned mega buck
    shorts -- in 30 years of buying shorts. I am not going to pay $150+
    for a pair of shorts, sorry. I can say that the Performance bibs are
    way better than my old team issued Aussi bibs that about cut me in
    half. I had to slice the suspenders and splice in extensions and wore
    them only when racing (grudgingly). -- Jay Beattie.

  16. landotter

    landotter Guest

    Jay Beattie wrote:

    > I can live with gel, but it usually feels like I have a full diaper. I
    > like something a bit thinner.

    That's why I keep hangin' on to my older Performance shorts with the
    "hydroflo" chamois. Not really gel but some substance sandwiched
    between plastic that is slipperier the harder you press. So not really
    padded shorts as much as chafe prevention shorts.

    I've looked at shorts in the store and all the ones I've seen gross me
    out. The new chamois covers are nice, but the thickness reminds me of
    just that, a diaper with a load in it. Are any of the affordable
    Nashbar/Performance shorts any thinner these days, or has everything
    gone the way of the infintilism fetishist?

  17. landotter wrote:
    > Jay Beattie wrote:
    >
    > I've looked at shorts in the store and all the ones I've seen gross me
    > out. The new chamois covers are nice, but the thickness reminds me of
    > just that, a diaper with a load in it. Are any of the affordable
    > Nashbar/Performance shorts any thinner these days, or has everything
    > gone the way of the infintilism fetishist?

    I agree, too thick is not good. The thinnest chamois listed (as far as
    I can tell) are also available in the less expensive shorts.

    The top two chaois listed in the gallery (
    http://www.geocities.com/almost_fast/shorts/chamois/ ) are seamless,
    and not too thick.

  18. landotter

    landotter Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > landotter wrote:
    > > Jay Beattie wrote:
    > >
    > > I've looked at shorts in the store and all the ones I've seen gross me
    > > out. The new chamois covers are nice, but the thickness reminds me of
    > > just that, a diaper with a load in it. Are any of the affordable
    > > Nashbar/Performance shorts any thinner these days, or has everything
    > > gone the way of the infintilism fetishist?

    > I agree, too thick is not good. The thinnest chamois listed (as far as
    > I can tell) are also available in the less expensive shorts.
    >
    > The top two chaois listed in the gallery (
    > http://www.geocities.com/almost_fast/shorts/chamois/ ) are seamless,
    > and not too thick.

    Wow, that's a great site! Looks like the liquicell are very similar to
    the old Performance Hydroflos. It also seems that the bibs tend to have
    thinner padding, probably as they're usually bought by more experienced
    riders.

  19. "Michael Press" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article
    > <[email protected]>,
    > "Earl Bollinger" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> "JBIthaca" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > Do any of you use these shorts? Are they comfortable? How have they
    >> > held up?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> >
    >> > JBIthaca
    >> >

    >> Yes I have both. Although the bibs are great when it is cooler they do
    >> tend
    >> to run hotter though. The shorts are cooler when it is hot out.
    >> Bibs are neat in that it keeps the waistband from rolling down on you, if
    >> you have that body shape.
    >> The major disadvantage of bibs, is if you have to go to the bathroom, you
    >> pretty much have to strip down most of the way to do your business.
    >> That is especially difficult when you are trying to use a portapottie out
    >> someplace. Not counting the yucky factor either.

    > The bibs I have are hemmed at the navel; the elastic
    > material can be pulled down in front without shifting the
    > straps.
    >
    > [...]
    >
    > --
    > Michael Press

    I was trying to be polite, how about taking a "dump" or "crap" out on an
    organized ride with 7000 fellow cyclists with hundreds of others all trying
    to use the same overused dirty messy portapotties as you are. Bibs do not
    work very well in that case.

  20. Mike Reed

    Mike Reed Guest

    I've been riding in Performance shorts for 15 years. I buy whatever is
    around $30-$35 in a given catalog. They last a long time and have
    always been comfortable.

    One year I bought a couple pair of Pearl Izumis for $70 each. They were
    super comfortable in the store, mediocre on the bike, and wore out in a
    huge hurry. I thought they might get more comfortable as I got used to
    them, but they never did. Big waste of money.

    I'll never spend more than $35 on shorts again (though I will probably
    try some bibs soon, for slightly more).

    Performance has my vote.

    Now as far as shoes go... I'll agree to spend 'til it hurts. I've had
    two pairs of Sidis (road and mountain) last me 10 years each. They fit
    like socks and last for a career.