Performance Ultra Shorts or Ultra Bib Shorts-opinions

In article <[email protected]>,
William O'Hara ([email protected]) wrote:

> What's wrong with Performance's $20 shorts?

Too expensive?

Decathlon shorts, 8 GBP (14 USD)

[email protected] wrote:
> Peter Cole wrote:
>
>>The pad is the critical comfort element for me.
>>It prevents chafing and/or pinching from seams or fabric folds.

> If there's no inseam (just the center seam) then it doesn't need to be
> flat seamed; the seam allowance seems (no pun intended) to lie flat
> enough I can't notice it. I only figured this out when it dawned on me
> some shorts don't actually have an inseam! Pearl Izumi, Assos, Nike
> Pro, Bellwether Elite II, Canari Matrix Lyte, Garneau Alveo (and others
> no doubt) have only a center seam through the crotch.

I'm embarrassed to admit (despite having sewn several pairs of pants)
that I never noticed this. I just went through my collection of shorts,
and what you say is true, my most comfortable shorts have no inseam
(PI), those that do (Voler) seem to compensate with thicker pads, which
I dislike.

>> What's wrong with Performance's $20 shorts?
> Not much. Fewer panels so perhaps less perfect fit. Lighter grade
> lycra so less durable. On the plus side, after seeing the chamois--it
> looks to be a little less diapery than some of the others.
> It's $20, get a pair and report back :p

I have two pairs of Peformance colorblock
shorts. I had them for two seasons. They
have gone through approximately 4,000 miles
of riding of short rides(5-10), regular rides(30 miles)
and medium length rides(60 miles). Along
with two centuries. I don't ride as much as
others or such.

I don't think that they are too bad. They
are 8 panel construction and heavy lycra.
I ride pretty comfortably with them. Only
recently has the edging on the outside bottom
become slightly frayed.

Given today's standards, I think that was pretty
good. If I had three pairs then they would
probably last longer. It's like shoes. So
I recommend buying a whole bunch of the $20
ones.

The chamois doesn't seem to be bad. I've ridden
in other shorts that left me very bad after
a short ride. I haven't had the problems with
the performance sets.

--
---
William O'Hara