Performance Ultra Shorts

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Alan, Apr 20, 2004.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Anyone tried the new shorts from Performance or know who makes the pad? My
    luck with my PI 3d pad microsensor shorts has not been good. Desc is below
    from their web site. I'd like some basic feedback about the pad as I do a
    lot of century and longer rides.

    Thanks,

    Alan

    Performance® Ultra Short
    Sale Price:$59.99 $49.98 (That's 16% Off!)
    Item #10-4613B
    In Stock

    It doesn't get much better than this. 12-panels that hug your muscles
    to provide you with the best fit without restricting movement. The new
    stretch chamois from Italy provides incredible comfort with a multi-layered
    anti-bacterial pad that moves with you for the most comfort. Flat lock
    seams, elastic leg grippers. Black (BLK).

    Tags:

  2. Jay Guthrie

    Jay Guthrie Guest

    I just returned some.

    I like the quality and way they fit, but think the padding sucks. It's some
    kind of dense foam rubber. I find it very abrasive against my skin and
    doesn't offer much support because it's thin and mushy. Can only use them
    on very short rides.

    I am however having very good luck with the Excel brand shorts.

    Jay

    "Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Anyone tried the new shorts from Performance or know who makes the pad? My
    > luck with my PI 3d pad microsensor shorts has not been good. Desc is

    below
    > from their web site. I'd like some basic feedback about the pad as I do a
    > lot of century and longer rides.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alan
    >

    > Performance® Ultra Short
    > Sale Price:$59.99 $49.98 (That's 16% Off!)
    > Item #10-4613B
    > In Stock
    >
    > It doesn't get much better than this. 12-panels that hug your

    muscles
    > to provide you with the best fit without restricting movement. The new
    > stretch chamois from Italy provides incredible comfort with a

    multi-layered
    > anti-bacterial pad that moves with you for the most comfort. Flat lock
    > seams, elastic leg grippers. Black (BLK).

  3. dan baker

    dan baker Guest

    "Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Anyone tried the new shorts from Performance or know who makes the pad? ---------------

    I have not tried this specific one, but had trouble recently with
    Performance shorts falling apart. The thread stitching seemed very bad
    last year, but they may have changed OEM. I went back to Pearlizumi
    and am having better durability with their "Attack" short. Only
    complaint I have about that one is that the pad/lycra interface is SO
    slippery to reduce friction that you kinda slide around unless your
    saddle is perfectly level.

  4. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    "Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Anyone tried the new shorts from Performance or know who makes the pad? My
    > luck with my PI 3d pad microsensor shorts has not been good. Desc is below
    > from their web site. I'd like some basic feedback about the pad as I do a
    > lot of century and longer rides.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alan

    Hi, I too am curious about these shorts. I did just purchase a pair of
    the Performance Century Short with New Gel Chamois $49.99 on sale for
    $37.48. All my other riding shorts have been low priced with my best
    pair being Performance Classic bought on sale for around $17-20. All
    of these have rather thin chamois, so I was not expecting the gel pad
    to be so thick. With all the other layers it feels like it's about
    1/2" thick. They are not uncomfortable, just overkill for my average
    ride. Overall the shorts seem to be well made and on sale a good
    value. My guess is that some will be bothered by the thickness of the
    pad. I'm looking for a quality short, better padded than the Per.
    Classic, but not as thick as the gel.
    Has anyone tried the Per. Century LiquiCell Short? My guess is that
    all of the Century shorts are the same except for the chamois.
    I think eventually I will buy myself one pr of high end shorts, but
    for now I'm going to replace my low quality with the next step up. I'm
    going to order a pr of Velowear Tem shorts , before the sale is over.
    http://www.velowear.com/
    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  5. Robert Canon

    Robert Canon Guest

    "Alan" wrote
    >My luck with my PI 3d pad microsensor shorts has not been good.

    What was your problem with the PI 3Ds? I basically like the pad and the
    short, but they are cut small for their size. I wear a 31 or 32 waist in
    jeans but a Medium in the PI gives me male camel toe! It makes my girl
    friend laugh, but other than that, not such a good thing.

  6. neil0502

    neil0502 Guest

    Alan wrote:
    > Anyone tried the new shorts from Performance or know who makes the pad?
    > My luck with my PI 3d pad microsensor shorts has not been good. Desc is
    > below from their web site. I'd like some basic feedback about the pad as
    > I do a lot of century and longer rides.
    > Thanks,
    > Alan
    > Performance® Ultra Short Sale Price:$59.99 $49.98 (That's 16%
    > Off!) Item #10-4613B In Stock
    > It doesn't get much better than this. 12-panels that hug your
    > muscles to provide you with the best fit without restricting
    > movement. The new stretch chamois from Italy provides incredible
    > comfort with a multi- layered anti-bacterial pad that moves with
    > you for the most comfort. Flat lock seams, elastic leg grippers.
    > Black (BLK).

    I got four good rides out of mine. I dunno...I think I was expecting
    more......

    After these four rides (total was less than 200 miles), the spandex had
    worn straight through "at the bottom," exposing the beautiful pumpkin-
    orange pad and rendering the shorts defunct. Four rides. Hmm.

    Bought a pair of Boure shorts (Ned Overend's company:
    http://www.boure.com/). They were about $75, but they have been
    incredibly comfortable and seem to be bulletproof. I'm not afilliated
    with Boure in any way; just had one good experience.

    My general perception of Performance is that it's safer to buy their private-
    label 'hardware' than their 'software'....

    --

  7. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    neil0502 wrote:

    > Alan wrote:
    > > Anyone tried the new shorts from Performance or know who makes

    > the pad? > My luck with my PI 3d pad microsensor shorts has not
    > been good. Desc is > below from their web site. I'd like some basic
    > feedback about the pad as > I do a lot of century and longer rides.
    > > Thanks,
    > > Alan
    > > Performance® Ultra Short Sale Price:$59.99 $49.98 (That's

    > 16% > Off!) Item #10-4613B In Stock
    > > It doesn't get much better than this. 12-panels that hug

    > your > muscles to provide you with the best fit without
    > restricting > movement. The new stretch chamois from Italy
    > provides incredible > comfort with a multi- layered
    > anti-bacterial pad that moves with > you for the most
    > comfort. Flat lock seams, elastic leg grippers. > Black (BLK).
    >
    > I got four good rides out of mine. I dunno...I think I was expecting
    > more......
    >
    > After these four rides (total was less than 200 miles), the spandex
    > had
    > worn straight through "at the bottom," exposing the beautiful pumpkin-
    > orange pad and rendering the shorts defunct. Four rides. Hmm.
    >
    > Bought a pair of Boure shorts (Ned Overend's company:
    > http://www.boure.com/). They were about $75, but they have been
    > incredibly comfortable and seem to be bulletproof. I'm not afilliated
    > with Boure in any way; just had one good experience.
    >
    > My general perception of Performance is that it's safer to buy their
    > private- label 'hardware' than their 'software'....

    I know several people who swear by Performance Century shorts. I've never tried
    them.

    Recenly I've had great luck with Voler tights, so I just ordered some of their
    shorts, on sale. If they're as good as the tights, I'll be very happy,
    especially for 35 bucks. On first glance the Voler seem much better made than
    the Performance, for the same price.

    Blackbottoms were always really good too, and a good value. But I never see
    them anymore. I wonder if they're still in business.

    My least favorites are some of the less expensive PI -- a $25 short with a $25
    label.

    Matt O.

  8. T Scanlin

    T Scanlin Guest

    I have a pair of the '03 models that were on sale. Comfortable but haven't
    had a chance to go more than 25 miles yet. Can't talk about how well they
    hold up since they're only a week old.
    Tom
    "Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Anyone tried the new shorts from Performance or know who makes the pad? My
    > luck with my PI 3d pad microsensor shorts has not been good. Desc is

    below
    > from their web site. I'd like some basic feedback about the pad as I do a
    > lot of century and longer rides.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alan
    >

    > Performance® Ultra Short
    > Sale Price:$59.99 $49.98 (That's 16% Off!)
    > Item #10-4613B
    > In Stock
    >
    > It doesn't get much better than this. 12-panels that hug your

    muscles
    > to provide you with the best fit without restricting movement. The new
    > stretch chamois from Italy provides incredible comfort with a

    multi-layered
    > anti-bacterial pad that moves with you for the most comfort. Flat lock
    > seams, elastic leg grippers. Black (BLK).

  9. [email protected] (Jeff Starr) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    [...]
    > value. My guess is that some will be bothered by the thickness of the
    > pad. I'm looking for a quality short, better padded than the Per.
    > Classic, but not as thick as the gel.

    I've tried the Performance gel shorts in the past, and I agree, the
    padding was too thick for me, and rather firm. And the edges of the
    padding seem almost squared-off. They also made a "gel-lite" short, I
    think it was a summer weight short, which had slightly thinner gel
    padding (and it was a softer/more flexible gel). Better, but still
    too thick for my taste.

    > Has anyone tried the Per. Century LiquiCell Short? My guess is that
    > all of the Century shorts are the same except for the chamois.

    I tried one last year. My complaint was that the chamois seemed
    inflexible, the LiquiCell material is encased in some plastic
    enclosure which doesn't seem to stretch or conform to my body. It
    almost felt like I was sitting on a crumpled sheet of paper.

    I also tried the '03 Ultra shorts, not sure how much different they
    are from the '04s. The fit was nice, but my personal preference is
    for a seamless chamois; the Ultra had a multi-piece chamois which
    chafed, despite the flat-lock stitching.

    My current favored short is the Cannondale Power short; 8-panel fit,
    seamless chamois. It's been working for me so far.

    Jason

  10. dan baker

    dan baker Guest

    [email protected] (Jeff Starr) wrote in message ...
    > Hi, I too am curious about these shorts. I did just purchase a pair of
    > the Performance Century Short with New Gel Chamois

    ------------

    I HAVE tried those, and really did NOT like them. I found them to not
    breath all, big surprise with gel, duh. Which gets kinda sweaty on
    long rides. I used them for 2 centuries and a couple training rides,
    and after a couple hundred miles I found (on two pairs) that the gel
    started oozing out the stitch-holes in the rear. Yucky, sticky,
    snot-looking gel. I sent both pair back.

  11. You get what you pay for -- if you're looking for comfort try Assos.

    FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
    http://mail.giantcompany.com

    "dan baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] (Jeff Starr) wrote in message ...
    > > Hi, I too am curious about these shorts. I did just purchase a pair of
    > > the Performance Century Short with New Gel Chamois

    > ------------
    >
    > I HAVE tried those, and really did NOT like them. I found them to not
    > breath all, big surprise with gel, duh. Which gets kinda sweaty on
    > long rides. I used them for 2 centuries and a couple training rides,
    > and after a couple hundred miles I found (on two pairs) that the gel
    > started oozing out the stitch-holes in the rear. Yucky, sticky,
    > snot-looking gel. I sent both pair back.

    ---

  12. Neacalban1

    Neacalban1 Guest

    Dunno. I've used the regular Perf gel shorts for years, and granted they don't
    breathe very well, but between the shorts, a Selle Italia transam, or a gel
    flow( this years,) Chamois Butt'r, ans scrupulously scrubbing down with rubbing
    alcohol post ride, I've had no saddle sore in 4 years.
    I'm trying a 04 gel, only 2 rides. the overall area of padding is reduced- I'm
    not sure its padding the right areas, the holes maybe make it feel weird, so
    I'll wait and see