Perhaps someone should tell them

On Sun, 20 May 2007 19:00:18 +0100, "Paul - ***"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Tom Crispin <[email protected]> typed:
>> Take a look at the helmet at 5:03
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXQL-xUtij4
>>
>> Not the best advert for cycle training!
>>
>> I also wonder why they use the warning sign at 2:43.

>Have you told them?

I wouldn't dare. I'm in enough trouble with Cycling England for
telling them that their accreditation process is 'nonsense' and that
£2.50 for a Bikeability badge is a 'rip off'.

My sister-in-law, who lives in Shanghai, reckons that she could get
them manufactured for less than 20p each.

For an example of their nonsense, take a look at standard 3F:
www.johnballcycling.org.uk/natstand

Compare with Level 3 requirement 2 (Page 17)
www.johnballcycling.org.uk/files/acrdtn [pdf download]

How can standard 3F be taught with this requirement?

On 20 May, 19:06, Tom Crispin <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Take a look at the helmet at 5:03
>
> www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXQL-xUtij4
>
> Not the best advert for cycle training!
>
> I also wonder why they use the warning sign at 2:43.

whilst i was there, I looked for cycle crashes etc, and wondered at
the injury to the head if there was no helmet?

On 20 May 2007 12:46:31 -0700, "The other view point, there is one you
know..." <[email protected]> wrote:

>On 20 May, 19:06, Tom Crispin <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>> Take a look at the helmet at 5:03
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXQL-xUtij4
>>
>> Not the best advert for cycle training!
>>
>> I also wonder why they use the warning sign at 2:43.

>whilst i was there, I looked for cycle crashes etc, and wondered at
>the injury to the head if there was no helmet?

Did you also consider the injury to the knee if there were no knee
pads?

And what about the abdomen? A former pupil of mine recently fell on
his handlebars which pierced his abdomen. Perhaps he was foolhardy
not to be wearing body armour.

The other view point, there is one you know... wrote on 20/05/2007 20:46
+0100:

> whilst i was there, I looked for cycle crashes etc, and wondered at
> the injury to the head if there was no helmet?

And?

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell

On May 20, 7:06 pm, Tom Crispin
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Take a look at the helmet at 5:03
>
> www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXQL-xUtij4

Whatever the rights and wrongs of such things, I do wish that if
people want to wear one, they wear it *properly*.

Isn't the forehead one of the most vulnerable areas? One look at
ancient "knight" armour shows the care taken to protect the forehead
and space between the eyes.

Oh, hang on, I get it now. That girl is protecting her head from the
effects of a wheelie being pulled too vigourously.

It's obvious when you think about it.

PhilD

--
<><

In article <[email protected]>, Tom Crispin
[email protected]e says...
> Take a look at the helmet at 5:03
>
> www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXQL-xUtij4
>
> Not the best advert for cycle training!
>
> I also wonder why they use the warning sign at 2:43.

How about the seriously underinflated tyres, bike weaving all over the
place, at about 3:09 (top of frame)? I thought safety checks were part
of the training.

In article <[email protected]>,
PhilD
[email protected] says...
<snip>
> Oh, hang on, I get it now. That girl is protecting her head from the
> effects of a wheelie being pulled too vigourously.

Or a chav reaching out of the passenger window of a passing Nova.

Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Tom Crispin
> [email protected]e says...
> > Take a look at the helmet at 5:03
> >
> > www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXQL-xUtij4
> >
> > Not the best advert for cycle training!
> >
> > I also wonder why they use the warning sign at 2:43.
> >

> How about the seriously underinflated tyres, bike weaving all over the
> place, at about 3:09 (top of frame)? I thought safety checks were part
> of the training.

one of the things i do notice is very low pressure tires judging from
how much they seem to buldge. on quite a few of the bikes that one
passes. saw quite a few on the full suspention cheap bikes that saw on
saturday, and some fairly terrible riding!

roger

BigRab wrote:
> I didn't even know there WAS a Minister for Cycling!!!!!
> He certainly keeps quiet.

Derek Twigg MP.

From the way he was holding the bike, he looked like he did not want to
be there.
http://www.derektwigg.org.uk/sect1/

His list of interests do not include cycling.

Martin.

in message <[email protected]>, Tom Crispin
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Take a look at the helmet at 5:03
>
> www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXQL-xUtij4
>
> Not the best advert for cycle training!

To be fair, a good mix of helmet-wearing and non-helmet wearing there;
although the one you point out is by no means the only one with the helmet
far too far back on the head.

;; I'll have a proper rant later, when I get the time.

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

> in message <[email protected]>, Tom Crispin
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > Take a look at the helmet at 5:03
> >
> > www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXQL-xUtij4
> >
> > Not the best advert for cycle training!

> To be fair, a good mix of helmet-wearing and non-helmet wearing there;
> although the one you point out is by no means the only one with the helmet
> far too far back on the head.

I was surprised at the number of non-helmeted riders. It sometimes
appears as though the media, cycling and otherwise, have decided
exclusively to use pictures of cyclists with lids.

Cheers,
Luke

--
Lincoln City 0-2 Southend United (AET)
Swansea City 2-2 Southend United

In article <1hygol2.1d26gq96yx9w2N%[email protected]>, Roger
Merriman
[email protected] says...

> one of the things i do notice is very low pressure tires judging from
> how much they seem to buldge. on quite a few of the bikes that one
> passes.

Indeed. And squeaky chains. I often have to resist shouting "pump it
up" or "oil it" at the offending riders. As for the bikes you see
parked, with saddles at ridiculous angles ...

On 21/05/2007 20:32, Rob Morley said,

> Indeed. And squeaky chains. I often have to resist shouting "pump it
> up" or "oil it" at the offending riders.

I'm glad it's not just me!

Skreek - skreek - rattle - skreek.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <1hygol2.1d26gq96yx9w2N%[email protected]>, Roger
> Merriman
> [email protected] says...
>
> > one of the things i do notice is very low pressure tires judging from
> > how much they seem to buldge. on quite a few of the bikes that one
> > passes.

> Indeed. And squeaky chains. I often have to resist shouting "pump it
> up" or "oil it" at the offending riders. As for the bikes you see
> parked, with saddles at ridiculous angles ...

heh, must be such hard work. maybe why people get amazed how far one can
go on a bike?

talking of which i shall fit some thing like marthon pluses to my dad's
heap of junk. in a effort to make him use it more.

roger