Periodization

gudujarlson

Aug 30, 2012
Upon recently rereading some stuff on training periodization, one misconception I think I have had is that periodization applies to developing a single ability over the long term, when actually it only applies to developing multiple abilities over the long term.

I have had the understanding that working at the same intensity over and over is less optimal than varying the intensity even if my goal is to increase my maximal power at a single intensity. For example, if my only goal was to increase my 20MP, then doing 2x20 at 90% FTP every day was less optimal than working at multiple intensities with some form of structure (e.g. progressing from 1x300 at 75% FTP to 6x2 at 150% FTP over several months). I thought the theory underpinning this was basically the principal of overload; the theory that says you have to change the stress in order to trigger an adaption. My thought was that if I continue to do 2x20, I will eventually plateau within one season, so if I wanted to continue to increase my FTP I would need change the stress to include work at other intensities. But I can't find anything in the discussions of periodization that supports this idea. I think all the principal of overload is saying is that you have to do 2x20 at greater and greater power; irregardless of how that power relates to your FTP (i.e. constant intensity).

On the other hand, what both linear and block periodization seem to be about is maximizing multiple abilities all on the same day with the realization that different abilities respond to training on different schedules (e.g..v02max responds faster than aerobic endurance).

However, I still have some confusion. Why did Lydiard have his long distance runners do anaerobic intervals when anaerobic endurance was probably not a decisive ability? Why do strength trainers do anything other than sets of 1-4 seeing as they trying to develop only one ability?

you study 12 subjects in university but you get 1 degree and 1 major, interesting line of thinking, it is good to have the big picture of training especially before digging deep into power related training,

Originally Posted by vspa .

you study 12 subjects in university but you get 1 degree and 1 major,
interesting line of thinking, it is good to have the big picture of training especially before digging deep into power related training,
I'm not sure what you are implying, but it does remind me of a thought I had about my collage education and block periodization. I think I would have done better in college if I could have focused on one class at a time instead of four. My brain just seems to work better that way. I'm not a good multi-tasker.

i was addressing your concern about doing one or several training types to achieve a specific goal, i advocate for several, the better rounded you are the better you can be at a specific goal, (i wasn't great in higher education either but i can understand now that forcing you to multitask and to work towards deadlines is part of it, as important as the content of independent subjects), anyway by your post i can see that you have a very good grasp on these not easy to understand topics, in fact im not familiar with the periodization concept i tried to answer you by the content of the thread,

Originally Posted by gudujarlson .

Upon recently rereading some stuff on training periodization, one misconception I think I have had is that periodization applies to developing a single ability over the long term, when actually it only applies to developing multiple abilities over the long term.

I have had the understanding that working at the same intensity over and over is less optimal than varying the intensity even if my goal is to increase my maximal power at a single intensity. For example, if my only goal was to increase my 20MP, then doing 2x20 at 90% FTP every day was less optimal than working at multiple intensities with some form of structure (e.g. progressing from 1x300 at 75% FTP to 6x2 at 150% FTP over several months). I thought the theory underpinning this was basically the principal of overload; the theory that says you have to change the stress in order to trigger an adaption. My thought was that if I continue to do 2x20, I will eventually plateau within one season, so if I wanted to continue to increase my FTP I would need change the stress to include work at other intensities. But I can't find anything in the discussions of periodization that supports this idea. I think all the principal of overload is saying is that you have to do 2x20 at greater and greater power; irregardless of how that power relates to your FTP (i.e. constant intensity).

On the other hand, what both linear and block periodization seem to be about is maximizing multiple abilities all on the same day with the realization that different abilities respond to training on different schedules (e.g..v02max responds faster than aerobic endurance).

However, I still have some confusion. Why did Lydiard have his long distance runners do anaerobic intervals when anaerobic endurance was probably not a decisive ability? Why do strength trainers do anything other than sets of 1-4 seeing as they trying to develop only one ability?
Periodisation is about getting the most out of the stimulus and recovery equation - as in "it's not what you do, it's how you do it"

Arthur Lydiard trained runners to be able to run fast as well as run long. Even though one can't run six miles at a hundred metre (yard) pace one can put on a bust of speed at the end of a race. If you don't train to be able to do this, you won't be able to do this.

The common periodisation template is three or four weeks of subtle increases then one week of reduced stimulus, then change it up for the next block of three or four weeks of subtle increases. What you do in these blocks and recovery week is very much dependant on your goals.

Wanting to increase numbers on a power metre is a nice idea - thing is; adaptation is extremely activity velocity specific, so not mixing up the stimuli means; once you have adapted to the demand you need a new demand or you are just maintaining. Without variation in your training it is very hard to keep increasing the load, you will plateau. You might get stuck on that plateau for weeks before again showing improvement. However if you are a ways off from achieving you best you will eventually break out of the rut.

I once wanted to do 100 push ups (I was young). I started with 30 and built one extra push up each time I did them (once a week) I got stuck at 50 for a month and then got stuck at 70 for what seemed like forever, then I was suddenly able to 85. Eventually I got to 100 and stopped doing them. I learnt not to worry to much about the odd plateau

ok so periodization means to train systematically and to schedule your training and your recuperation periods during the year,

Article below helped me put the term in a "nutshell"

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2010/04/kiss-periodization.html

"Periodization means that the closer in time you get to the race, the more like the race your workouts must become." Joe Friel