Perogi mishap

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Hahabogus, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    Well the old Babas needed a new onion top on their orthodox
    church...So I bought 4 dozen cheese and potato perogies (not
    triangular). The problem is that they were either allowed to
    defrost prior to delivery or they were frozen improperly to
    start with. These things although they taste great are stuck
    together in one lump, even after boiling. Any known fixes?

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
    nothing but food and water.

    Tags:

  2. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:43:31 GMT, hahabogus <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Well the old Babas needed a new onion top on their orthodox
    >church...So I bought 4 dozen cheese and potato perogies
    >(not triangular). The problem is that they were either
    >allowed to defrost prior to delivery or they were frozen
    >improperly to start with. These things although they taste
    >great are stuck together in one lump, even after boiling.
    >Any known fixes?

    Close friends and a few forks.

    Boron

  3. In article <[email protected]>, hahabogus
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Well the old Babas needed a new onion top on their
    > orthodox church...So I bought 4 dozen cheese and potato
    > perogies (not triangular). The problem is that they were
    > either allowed to defrost prior to delivery or they were
    > frozen improperly to start with. These things although
    > they taste great are stuck together in one lump, even
    > after boiling. Any known fixes?

    What'd you have to pay for them? Color me Curious.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-13-04.
    Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got

  4. In article <[email protected]>, Boron Elgar
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:43:31 GMT, hahabogus
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Well the old Babas needed a new onion top on their
    > >orthodox church...So I bought 4 dozen cheese and potato
    > >perogies (not triangular). The problem is that they were
    > >either allowed to defrost prior to delivery or they were
    > >frozen improperly to start with. These things although
    > >they taste great are stuck together in one lump, even
    > >after boiling. Any known fixes?
    >

    > Close friends and a few forks.
    >
    > Boron

    Bingo. It wouldn't have happened had they been
    triangular. The geometry of the triangular ones prevents
    inadvertent sticking.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-13-04.
    Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got
    the button to prove it!) "The only difference between a rut
    and a grave is the depth of the hole."

  5. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote in news:barbschaller-
    [email protected]:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > hahabogus <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Well the old Babas needed a new onion top on their
    >> orthodox church...So I bought 4 dozen cheese and potato
    >> perogies (not triangular). The problem is that they were
    >> either allowed to defrost prior to delivery or they were
    >> frozen improperly to start with. These things although
    >> they taste great are stuck together in one lump, even
    >> after boiling. Any known fixes?
    >

    > What'd you have to pay for them? Color me Curious.

    $2.00 a doz

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
    nothing but food and water.
    --------
    FIELDS, W. C.

  6. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    [email protected] (Jarkat2002) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    >>> What'd you have to pay for them? Color me Curious.
    >>
    >> $2.00 a doz
    >
    > dang .. I pay $8 a dozen! They are the best I have ever
    > had and quite large. oh .. and I would never boil a perogi
    > ... but that's just me :)
    >

    > ~Kat
    >

    > www.marchforchoice.org

    That's how they are cooked probably before you get them. It
    is the traditional way.

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
    nothing but food and water.
    --------
    FIELDS, W. C.

  7. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Jarkat2002) wrote:

    > >> What'd you have to pay for them? Color me Curious.
    > >
    > > $2.00 a doz
    >
    > dang .. I pay $8 a dozen! They are the best I have ever
    > had and quite large. oh .. and I would never boil a perogi
    > ... but that's just me :)
    >

    > ~Kat

    Okay, stupid question time. ;-)

    What is the difference between a Perogi and a raviolli???

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  8. Donna Rose

    Donna Rose Guest

    In article <KatraMungBean-
    [email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > > > $2.00 a doz
    > >
    > > dang .. I pay $8 a dozen! They are the best I have ever
    > > had and quite large. oh .. and I would never boil a
    > > perogi ... but that's just me :)
    > >

    > > ~Kat
    > >

    > Okay, stupid question time. ;-)
    >
    > What is the difference between a Perogi and a raviolli???
    >
    > K.

    Geography. One's from Eastern Europe, the other's from
    Italy.

    (I'm oversimplifying, of course - but they are both versions
    of filled dumplings.)
    --
    Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist
    hopes they are.

  9. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Donna Rose <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <KatraMungBean-
    > [email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    > > In article <[email protected]
    > > m16.aol.com>, [email protected] (Jarkat2002)

    > > > dang .. I pay $8 a dozen! They are the best I have
    > > > ever had and quite large. oh .. and I would never boil
    > > > a perogi ... but that's just me :)
    > > >

    > > > ~Kat
    > > >

    > > Okay, stupid question time. ;-)
    > >
    > > What is the difference between a Perogi and a
    > > raviolli???
    > >
    > > K.
    > >

    > Geography. One's from Eastern Europe, the other's
    > from Italy.
    >
    > (I'm oversimplifying, of course - but they are both
    > versions of filled dumplings.)

    Got it, I think....... <lol>

    Thanks! Katra

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
    &include=0&userid=katra

  10. In article <[email protected]>, hahabogus
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote in news:barbschaller-
    > [email protected]:
    >
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > hahabogus <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Well the old Babas needed a new onion top on their
    > >> orthodox church...So I bought 4 dozen cheese and potato
    > >> perogies (not triangular). The problem is that they
    > >> were either allowed to defrost prior to delivery or
    > >> they were frozen improperly to start with. These things
    > >> although they taste great are stuck together in one
    > >> lump, even after boiling. Any known fixes?
    > >

    > > What'd you have to pay for them? Color me Curious.
    >
    > $2.00 a doz

    WOW!! I think that's maybe a third of what our Church Ladies
    sell them for.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-13-04.
    Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got
    the button to prove it!) "The only difference between a rut
    and a grave is the depth of the hole."

  11. In article <[email protected]>,
    Katra <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > > $2.00 a doz
    > >
    > > dang .. I pay $8 a dozen! They are the best I have ever
    > > had and quite large. oh .. and I would never boil a
    > > perogi ... but that's just me :)
    > >

    > > ~Kat
    > >

    > Okay, stupid question time. ;-)
    >
    > What is the difference between a Perogi and a raviolli???
    >
    > K.

    Well, both are sort of dumpling-like. Both are made with
    noodle dough. Both can be filled with a variety of fillings
    (meat, vegetable, cheese, fruit) although I'm guessing that
    a "traditional" ravioli filling is meat and pierogi (pirohy
    in my camp) are not meat-filled. More typical would be
    something like sauerkraut or potato with or without cheese.
    THAT said, the major difference that's struck me is that
    ravioli are two pieces of dough with the filling inside and
    the dough sealed *on all edges". Have a look at the various
    ravioli makers and forms. Pirohy are made from a single
    piece of square dough with the filling inside and the dough
    folded over, with only two sides of the resulting triangle
    needing sealing.

    Oh, ravioli are Italian; pirohy are Eastern European --
    mostly Slovaks, Poles, and Ukrainian.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-13-04.
    Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got
    the button to prove it!) "The only difference between a rut
    and a grave is the depth of the hole."

  12. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <KatraMungBean-
    > [email protected]>, Katra
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <[email protected]
    > > m16.aol.com>, [email protected] (Jarkat2002)

    > > > dang .. I pay $8 a dozen! They are the best I have
    > > > ever had and quite large. oh .. and I would never boil
    > > > a perogi ... but that's just me :)
    > > >

    > > > ~Kat
    > > >

    > > Okay, stupid question time. ;-)
    > >
    > > What is the difference between a Perogi and a
    > > raviolli???
    > >
    > > K.
    >
    > Well, both are sort of dumpling-like. Both are made with
    > noodle dough. Both can be filled with a variety of
    > fillings (meat, vegetable, cheese, fruit) although I'm
    > guessing that a "traditional" ravioli filling is meat and
    > pierogi (pirohy in my camp) are not meat-filled. More
    > typical would be something like sauerkraut or potato with
    > or without cheese. THAT said, the major difference that's
    > struck me is that ravioli are two pieces of dough with the
    > filling inside and the dough sealed *on all edges". Have a
    > look at the various ravioli makers and forms. Pirohy are
    > made from a single piece of square dough with the filling
    > inside and the dough folded over, with only two sides of
    > the resulting triangle needing sealing.
    >
    > Oh, ravioli are Italian; pirohy are Eastern European --
    > mostly Slovaks, Poles, and Ukrainian.

    Awesome! Thanks! :)

    K.

    --

  13. Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > hahabogus <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > [email protected]:
    > >
    > > > In article
    > > > <[email protected]>, hahabogus

    > > > What'd you have to pay for them? Color me Curious.
    > >
    > > $2.00 a doz
    >
    > WOW!! I think that's maybe a third of what our Church
    > Ladies sell them for.

    Around Pgh. they're about $4.50 these days from the church
    ladies. About $6.50 from the commercial places. Kate

    --
    Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead
    already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that smiles back,

  14. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > Pirohy are made from a single piece of square dough with
    > the filling inside and the dough folded over, with only
    > two sides of the resulting triangle needing sealing.

    Uh oh, here we go again....

    ;-) gloria p

  15. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote in news:barbschaller-
    [email protected]:

    >> $2.00 a doz
    >
    > WOW!! I think that's maybe a third of what our Church
    > Ladies sell them for.

    After serious thinking about it and getting out the spread
    sheet...I bought 4 dozen for $12 , carry the one ...I was
    mistaken it was $3.00 a dozen.

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
    nothing but food and water.
    --------
    FIELDS, W. C.

  16. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    Puester <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    >>
    >> Pirohy are made from a single piece of square dough with
    >> the filling inside and the dough folded over, with only
    >> two sides of the resulting triangle needing sealing.
    >>

    > Uh oh, here we go again....
    >
    > ;-) gloria p

    Traditionally using a piece of Round Dough, folded over
    into a half moon...Cut out usually with a regulation sized
    standard kitchen drinking glass. This leaves only 1 side
    to seal. At least in these parts....Heavy Ukranian
    Population up here...Those people whose names don't end in
    SKI end in Toboggan.

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
    nothing but food and water.
    --------
    FIELDS, W. C.

  17. "hahabogus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > After serious thinking about it and getting out the spread
    > sheet...I
    bought
    > 4 dozen for $12 , carry the one ...I was mistaken it was
    > $3.00 a dozen.

    Which church and are they still selling? Not that I have
    time to eat anything I buy, but it's always nice to know
    these things for future reference!

    rona

    --
    ***For e-mail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the
    inconvenience!***

  18. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    "Rona Yuthasastrakosol" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "hahabogus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >

    >> After serious thinking about it and getting out the
    >> spread sheet...I
    > bought
    >> 4 dozen for $12 , carry the one ...I was mistaken it was
    >> $3.00 a dozen.
    >>

    > Which church and are they still selling? Not that I have
    > time to eat anything I buy, but it's always nice to know
    > these things for future reference!
    >
    > rona

    Not sure which church as it was done for. I bought them
    thru a woman at work. I think it was a church in
    Petersfield,or maybe Fraserwood but I'm not sure. And no
    they aren't still selling. They were good eating even
    though they were all stuck together. I ate them boiled;
    swimming in butter and full fat sour cream with crisp bacon
    and fried onions... That's the way I like them...Others
    like them pan fried or even French Fried. Oh they were
    potato cheddar perogies. Yumm!

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
    nothing but food and water.
    --------
    FIELDS, W. C.

  19. In article <[email protected]>, hahabogus
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> wrote in news:barbschaller-
    > [email protected]:
    >
    > >> $2.00 a doz
    > >
    > > WOW!! I think that's maybe a third of what our Church
    > > Ladies sell them for.
    > >

    > After serious thinking about it and getting out the spread
    > sheet...I bought 4 dozen for $12 , carry the one ...I was
    > mistaken it was $3.00 a dozen.

    Cool. Now it's about half the cost of what our Church Ladies
    sell them for. :) And if your $2 or $3 is Canadian dollars
    (I would assume so), it's an even bigger bargain!