Peroneal Tendinitis from Overpronation

dannyfrankszzz

Mar 8, 2003
Hi, this is the first time I've posted on this branch of the forum and so hello to y'all.

I was wondering if anyone else here has suffered from Peroneal Tendinitis from Overpronation and how it has affected their cycling, and if they managed to deal with it, and how.

I developed Peroneal Tendinitis from Overpronation from doing too much running. I stopped running, changed my footwear to Asics GT 2080, and did lots of walking. Whilst not the same thing as running, I think it managed to strengthen the foot and as a result the tendinitis has gone down a bit, and I can even go on the odd run now without it flaring up.

I also do a lot of cycling, and again, the overpronation is not such a factor as the stresses and strains on the joints are different compared to running. Nonetheless, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on cycling for overpronators.

Or should I just get some orthotics for my cycling shoes?

Thanks in advance.

I was told that it is more important to get orthotics for cycling than "normal walking". The reason stated was, "the feet are held rigidly in position on a bike" (with a good pair of clipless pedals).

So I did.

Originally posted by dannyfrankszzz
I was wondering if anyone else here has suffered from Peroneal Tendinitis from Overpronation and how it has affected their cycling
I have tendonitis of my peroneals and have had for several years. It has gotten to the point where I can sublux the peroneus longus tendon with a loud crack if I do a hard foot inversion.

It doesn't really bother me when I ride but can flare up a bit if I pull my ankle up on the upstroke of a pedal consistently. It is a bit annoying sometimes when I wake up & try to stand up and the tendon is subluxed. That nearly makes me fall over until I invert/pronate and put the tendons back in place.

I have tried stretches and this helps minimally. It definitely doesn't cure it for me. I have seen a doc about it and have been told that it would require surgery to tighten the fibrous sheath that holds the peroneal tendons in place behing the ankle bone (lateral malleolus). I have opted to put up with it rather than go under the knife...

Originally posted by dannyfrankszzz
Or should I just get some orthotics for my cycling shoes?

Thanks in advance.

Orthotic inserts might really help, if in fact the source of your problem is overpronation, but I would be cautious about trying to fit yourself with an orthotic, you could do more harm than good. Keep in mind that this would be a form of self-medication. There are some LBS's that have laser devices to measure the lateral (side to side) movement of your knee during your pedal stroke. This is what an orthotic device would address. Shooting in the dark, without accurate measurements is probably not a good idea.

I hope you find something that works for you!