Personal best (sort of)

Mark

Guest
BlankFor the last few days I'd been taking the bus or driving to work because I'd been working a
series of long, late shifts. Friday I decided that the lack of exercise was getting to me, so I got
back on the bike. Finishing work shortly after midnight, I changed into cycling clothes and headed
home (6.5 miles, about 500 feet elevation gain). I'd cycled home a few times in 0 deg or perhaps a
tiny bit colder, but somehow this seemed a little chillier than that. My toes were feeling the cold
a little more sharply, exposed flesh was feeling a little colder, and the snow was squeaking quite
loudly under my tires. When I got home and got inside and took my shoes off I felt a certain amount
of pain in my toes as they warmed up, as if they had been on the verge of frostbite.

The next day I spoke to a few coworkers who had thermometers in their vehicles. It turns out that
the temperature when I left work was -13 deg F (that's -25 Celsius for you non-US readers), which
explains why things felt a little chillier than usual. I'm sure there are people in this world who
have cycled in colder temperatures, and I realize that there are plenty of people around (myself
included) who have been outdoors in far colder temperatures, but I'm content to let this stand as my
coldest bike ride ever.

I'm beginning to understand the appeal of training stands and rollers...

--
mark

mark wrote:
> BlankFor the last few days I'd been taking the bus or driving to work because I'd been working a
> series of long, late shifts. Friday I decided that the lack of exercise was getting to me, so I
> got back on the bike. Finishing work shortly after midnight, I changed into cycling clothes and
> headed home (6.5 miles, about 500 feet elevation gain). I'd cycled home a few times in 0 deg or
> perhaps a tiny bit colder, but somehow this seemed a little chillier than that. My toes were
> feeling the cold a little more sharply, exposed flesh was feeling a little colder, and the snow
> was squeaking quite loudly under my tires. When I got home and got inside and took my shoes off I
> felt a certain amount of pain in my toes as they warmed up, as if they had been on the verge of
> frostbite.
>
> The next day I spoke to a few coworkers who had thermometers in their vehicles. It turns out that
> the temperature when I left work was -13 deg F (that's -25 Celsius for you non-US readers), which
> explains why things felt a little chillier than usual. I'm sure there are people in this world who
> have cycled in colder temperatures, and I realize that there are plenty of people around (myself
> included) who have been outdoors in far colder temperatures, but I'm content to let this stand as
> my coldest bike ride ever.
>
> I'm beginning to understand the appeal of training stands and rollers...

If you have a forest around, try to go for a ride when the temperatures are similar. You'll notice
that the temp is probably a couple of degrees warmer and since there is no asphalt you'll be going
slower which means less windfactor etc etc. When I was a kid the old folks told us that they often
called a forest "poor mans sweater".

--
Perre

"mark" <[email protected]> wrote

> The next day I spoke to a few coworkers who had thermometers in their vehicles. It turns out that
> the temperature when I left work was -13 deg F (that's -25 Celsius for you non-US readers), which
> explains why things felt a little chillier than usual. I'm sure there are people in this world who
> have cycled in colder temperatures, and I realize that there are plenty of people around (myself
> included) who have been outdoors in far colder temperatures, but I'm content to let this stand as
> my coldest bike ride ever.
>
> I'm beginning to understand the appeal of training stands and rollers...

There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.