Personal question for the guys

Aramei

Sep 8, 2004
Hoping some of you can give me your opinions/experiences on this subject.

My bf is currently not having sex with me because he thinks it will affect his racing. LOL He said that physiologists tell boxers to not have sex a couple weeks before a fight to enhance their fights.

I know he did this last year and it didn't help his racing at all......I think him holding all that frustration in isn't helping his thinking, concentration, etc.

Man,...did you guys ever think it would be the WOMAN *****ing that she didn't get laid enough? LOL

HOpe someone can tell me if their is any truth to this.

Sexually frustrated,
Christine

hehe...that is kind of funny coming from the woman in the relationship. Usually it's the guys complaining about not getting any! :)

As for the question, that's a good one. I'm not sure there's a definite answer out there. In my own personal experience, I'm kind of tired the next morning and remember not being able to compete as well after 'the night before.' However, one time I think I felt a lot better because I got up the next morning really relaxed. lol. I can understand where he's coming from...everybody is different though, so it's tough to say for sure. The anecdotal evidence seems to still be unclear :confused::p

There is one story I heard from an adventure racing friend where he got laid by a support crew member of another team in one of the transition areas - right in the middle of a 3 day race! He said it helped, so maybe it has its benefits. :D I guess it's just up to the individual. Good luck!

I have heard similar things before, but don't compete so I have no need to worry about it. I'm sure there is more than enough information out there on how sex affects sports performance. I could understand doing this if I was really good at the sport, and the possible performance gain meant the difference between 1st and 2nd (in cat 3 or lower), but since I'm not.... :eek: You get the idea.... ;)

Well it's been 2 weeks now!! And no races going until this Sunday....you can't tell me his holding off for this long is a valible excuse..LOL He did say he is just tired from all his training..but still a 15 minute quickie isn't gonna kill him!! :p

martin_j001 said:
I have heard similar things before, but don't compete so I have no need to worry about it. I'm sure there is more than enough information out there on how sex affects sports performance. I could understand doing this if I was really good at the sport, and the possible performance gain meant the difference between 1st and 2nd (in cat 3 or lower), but since I'm not.... :eek: You get the idea.... ;)

Aramei said:

My bf is currently not having sex with me because he thinks it will affect his racing. LOL He said that physiologists tell boxers to not have sex a couple weeks before a fight to enhance their fights.

I know he did this last year and it didn't help his racing at all......I think him holding all that frustration in isn't helping his thinking, concentration, etc.

Man,...did you guys ever think it would be the WOMAN *****ing that she didn't get laid enough? LOL

Sexually frustrated,
Christine

Is he taking long training rides at odd hour and using a lot of after shave before he leaves on these so called rides.
Not inferring anything,just asking.

jhuskey said:
Is he taking long training rides at odd hour and using a lot of after shave before he leaves on these so called rides.
Not inferring anything,just asking.

And just what are you 'not inferring' :D

eric_the_red said:
And just what are you 'not inferring' :D

Well lets examine the evidence. Male subject abstains from available sex,trains on bike probably for long hours,is gone a lot, probably. Did I mention he abstains from available sex......hummmmmh lets think about this.
I assume he id still breathing or it wouldn't be an issue.
Got me stumped! :confused:

Well...I myself don't know what the hell he's thinking either...Me WANTING to have sex...and he says No! :eek:

And no , it's not that I'm fugly either..

No, he's not "cheating" I just think he is a stubborn ass man who thinks his "holding off" is gonna help his racing.

Last year he did this and didn't do very well....but can't push those facts in his face either.

I just know that for myself I'd feel more focused, relaxed and I would be totally racing with a smile on MY face. :eek:

Aramei said:
Well...I myself don't know what the hell he's thinking either...Me WANTING to have sex...and he says No! :eek:

And no , it's not that I'm fugly either..

No, he's not "cheating" I just think he is a stubborn ass man who thinks his "holding off" is gonna help his racing.

Last year he did this and didn't do very well....but can't push those facts in his face either.

I just know that for myself I'd feel more focused, relaxed and I would be totally racing with a smile on MY face. :eek:

Yeah... what are you thinking you crazy woman, wanting to have sex and all that weird activity.
Truthfully I always rode a bike to look better and stay in shape. Why? = To have more sex.
I always worked hard to make more money and have nice things. Why? = To have more sex.
I took vitamins and excercised hard. Why? = To have sex more often.
Is anyone seeing a pattern here?
But thats just me,I am sure everyone else is different!

Just my opinion, but I've never bought the "stay away from sex" to perform better. I have sex everyday (in one way or another) lol, and I can't tell that it hurts performance any, or helps it. I think it's a non-issue as long as you get quality sleep.

One possible thing that might work for you, let him know that all the rest of us riders don't agree and don't believe you should have to wait. :D

John

He is not cheating on you, he is gay!! Long early rides with the guys and not wanting sex? Having it off in his Lycras... :eek:

I find sex in the morning a good warm up for any day, training or racing. Its about energy expended, just dont over do it. :)

gclark8 said:
He is not cheating on you, he is gay!!

:confused: THIS WOULD EXPLAIN HIS ALMOST WAIST LONG HAIR AND HIS CURRENT OBSESSION WITH SHAVING HIS LEGS...:p

Aramei said:

Sexually frustrated,
Christine
As a married guy for 32 years. I am more relaxed and energized even for a hard century, NOT worn out the next day. :rolleyes: For what that is worth. Was not true whenI ran marathons though. So maybe it is the level of effort. I have not raced....

This is absurd! There is NO DEBATE. Unless you're doing some sort of marathon session every night, sex can't possibly do anything but enhance performance. Tell the loser to shave off 15 minutes from his ride and enjoy some carnal time with you.

Maybe he's got a point about the night before, but otherwise, he's out to lunch.

Morning: I personally think it would make me ride my bike faster. Im not the type to pass on a promise LOL:)

Rich

www.mobileriverine.com
Aramei said:

Sexually frustrated,
Christine

hehe, I read a study a few years back that studied the effect sex had on performance in professional athletes. The study suggests that there is no measurable effect on men, however women perform measureably better (in sport that is!). All the extra hormones flying around I guess.

As everyone else says, the only impact I think regular sex would have is if you're not getting enough sleep. And I sleep better after sex anyway.

You could always try and sell the merits of core body strength - sex is GREAT for core body strength, and this assists with balance, control and bike handling.

Are you sure he's not just embarassed about the effects of the seat & rubbing? :eek:

Sexual activity actually raises the testosterone level, which will make his muscles stronger, and increase his red blood cell count.

Tell the nut to take care of business! Tell him you're gonna find a guy on the side!

you could try handcuffing his wheel to the bedpost...

Aramei said:

Sexually frustrated,
Christine

lumpy said:
Sexual activity actually raises the testosterone level, which will make his muscles stronger, and increase his red blood cell count.

Tell the nut to take care of business! Tell him you're gonna find a guy on the side!
The converse is also true. Hard workouts raise testosterone levels in guys under 45yo because testosterone is critical to growing muscle mass (sorry you older guys, you'll just have to get used to sarcopenia!). So if he's not randier than a rabbit he's not pushing himself hard enough. Tell to get real.