Perth Coastal Rides

number31

Feb 19, 2006
Perfect riding weather today in Perth (21C and small breeze) so I decided to ride along the coast. starting at port beach i rode up to scarborough beach and wasn't impressed by the quality of the paths up there considering what the government has spent on the river paths.

Does anyone know of some better rides along the coast? (starting in a diff location/direction)

number31 said:
Perfect riding weather today in Perth (21C and small breeze) so I decided to ride along the coast. starting at port beach i rode up to scarborough beach and wasn't impressed by the quality of the paths up there considering what the government has spent on the river paths.

Does anyone know of some better rides along the coast? (starting in a diff location/direction)
From Port to Challenger Pde I use the roads so I can't comment on your opinion of the paths there but from Challenger Pde to the Observation City is fine. I use the road along Challenger now it has been resurfaced and widened but all the rest is top notch and the view very good. If you continue past Obs City or whatever its called now, and go up too Trigg and beyond you will find the path from very good all the way to Ocean Reef Road. I also use the roads along that way now, but there is NO better scenery both on and Westward.

The bike path is not advisable due to the number of masochistic surfies wandering from the beach, oblivious to cyclists...they just refuse to look when crossing the path. In summer it's worse. Kids chasing soccer balls, dogs chasing kids chasing soccer balls, voluptuous bikini-clad young ladies walking to and from the beach...actually that last one makes up for the bad bits :cool: :p
but can be a bit hazardous, keep your eyes on the path soldier !!!:eek:

Aussie Steve said:
Nice signature...about Uni
so did you ride past the OBH before or after your OBE?:eek: :D
didnt have to do OBE thank god.

still no matter where u go in australia there is always someone to inform u that u r homosexual for riding in proper cycling gear. even in the upmarket areas of cottesloe. they really provide a quality service to the community.

number31 said:
didnt have to do OBE thank god.

still no matter where u go in australia there is always someone to inform u that u r homosexual for riding in proper cycling gear. even in the upmarket areas of cottesloe. they really provide a quality service to the community.
I moved to Perth in 1998, having been born and bred in Melbourne. Done thousands of k's in Melbourne with some comments and funny stares about my outfit...but after looking forward to moving to Perth, with the warmer climate, more suited to riding than bitterly cold Melbourne:eek: , I find the people in Perth narrow-minded and culturally backward. Very annoying the way they just stare and stare...They behave like my 10 year old son. In fact anything that's a bit different, they behave strangely. Like the day I came out of a cinema after having watched the Da Vinci Code; I was wearing a St Kilda Polo top. Black T-Shirt with St Kilda logo including a white cross. One guy watched me walk past and turned his whole body to watch me walk past and just stared at my shirt. The dumb fool probably thought I was a member of Opus Dei :rolleyes: :eek:

Damn West Aussies wouldn't know a good shirt if it bit them on the butt. :D

I find alot of people to be presumptuous and arrogant.

well skull....pss.off and support a real team. is that arrogant and presumptuouse enough for you?

but seriously, why would you wear a st.kilda shirt? it serves you right :)

Ricardo29 said:
well skull....pss.off and support a real team. is that arrogant and presumptuouse enough for you?

but seriously, why would you wear a st.kilda shirt? it serves you right :)
R29 you've taken my post the wrong way. I am WA through and through and can't stand people who because of what sounds like a few bad experiences has labelled the rest of us as being narrow minded and culturally backward. That is presumptuous. The fact that he thought someone was staring at him has a splash of arrogance to it.

The team I support (Freo, dont get me started on that) are currently no more real than St kilda at the moment. Maybe I should of put a sarcastic smilie and the end of my sentence instead of the grin.

Ricardo29 said:
nah skull my reply was very much tongue in cheek :)

im a freo man too. regretably!!
No worries. We do have some drama with Freo but this is not the forum to discuss it.

Its a "journey" isn't it.

Aussie Steve said:
I moved to Perth in 1998, having been born and bred in Melbourne. Done thousands of k's in Melbourne with some comments and funny stares about my outfit...but after looking forward to moving to Perth, with the warmer climate, more suited to riding than bitterly cold Melbourne:eek: , I find the people in Perth narrow-minded and culturally backward. Very annoying the way they just stare and stare...They behave like my 10 year old son. In fact anything that's a bit different, they behave strangely. Like the day I came out of a cinema after having watched the Da Vinci Code; I was wearing a St Kilda Polo top. Black T-Shirt with St Kilda logo including a white cross. One guy watched me walk past and turned his whole body to watch me walk past and just stared at my shirt. The dumb fool probably thought I was a member of Opus Dei :rolleyes: :eek:
This guy goes to see tripe like the Da Vinci Code and signs ALL his posting with "West Coast Eagles suck big time Worsfold is a knob" and says people in Perth are "culturally backward". Need I say more?

A friend of mine in Melbourne asked me the other day (via e-mail) what Perth is like. I told him to borrow that movie "The Village", the one directed by the guy who made "The Sixth Sense". That's what Perth is like. Because I am from Melbourne originally, I think Perth folk have that big country town mentality...not their fault, they are not exposed to as much stuff as people in Melbourne or Sydney.
One columnist in a local newspaper made some really good points about the narrow-mindedness: he said that some ladies from Cottesloe (a seaside suburb) were discussing maternity hospitals and one mentioned ?Mercy Hospital", another asked "where's that ?" the reply was "Mount Lawley" and the other ladies said "where's Mt Lawley?" (Mt Lawley is only about 18 kms from Cottesloe)...he mentioned how disappointed he was that people seemed to live their entire lives in a 6 km radius of their home suburb.

I have lived in NYC and London and visit Melbourne a few times a year. I met people in NYC who had never been 500 meteres north of where they lived despite living there for 60 years! Does that make Perth the same as NYC? Melbourne is a great town. I love the great mix of sport and the arts but I find Melbourne people far more myopic and provincal than any other major city I have travelled to or lived in and certainly more so than Perth people. Summed up beautifully by a recent taxi driver I had from Melbourne airport who kept extolling the virtues of Melbourne (fair enough) and then contrasted a few days later with a Sydney cabbie who said almost straight away "I hate this f...... city".

Steve's comments tells us more about Steve than they do about Perth and it's people.

I hate parochialism but Steve's presents an extremely distorted view not to mention insulting, unsolicited, unprovoked and unnecessary.

George, the new Maylands path is great went riding past St Annes (Mercy) the other day with my son (10) and reminded him that both he and I were born there - sorry hope that doesn't encourage his innate narrow mindnesses.

Steves from Melbourne I sure he won't need the dictionary for any of these words.

Sorry to gclark8 and Doublee, I should have posted my original diatribe in "Soapbox" !!!:eek:

I moved here in 1998 and will although I actually like Perth and don't have a problem living here, the narrow-mindedness and small town naivete really gets to me. At first I thought it was endearing, but after a while it became so bloody annoying. Like the way everyone says "OVEREAST" as a one-word term rather than naming a specific location. e.g.
"Johnno is going on holidays next month"
"Oh, is he going anywhere?"
"Yeah, he's going OVEREAST"
Everyone here at work who utters that flamin' word gets a big blast from me...
Look, I know I am offending people, but it's just something that I really really hate...

Aussie Steve
in the market for a partner- female cyclist....must be a good cook. drama queens need not apply
Not a good position for a local girl, maybe import one from OVEREAST!! :D

I don't mind people having a shot at Perth but I just don't think it is true. You can't get more narrow minded than some of the Melbourne AFL media. On national footy shows they still refer to interstate teams.

Anyway good for a laugh.

Aussie Steve said:
Sorry to gclark8 and Doublee, I should have posted my original diatribe in "Soapbox" !!!:eek:

I moved here in 1998 and will although I actually like Perth and don't have a problem living here, the narrow-mindedness and small town naivete really gets to me. At first I thought it was endearing, but after a while it became so bloody annoying. Like the way everyone says "OVEREAST" as a one-word term rather than naming a specific location. e.g.
"Johnno is going on holidays next month"
"Oh, is he going anywhere?"
"Yeah, he's going OVEREAST"
Everyone here at work who utters that flamin' word gets a big blast from me...
Look, I know I am offending people, but it's just something that I really really hate...

I sort of agree. what is this over east ****. I am from sydney

and its rotto,freo. ozzy park. subi. why do they do that ?

been living here for only 4 months