Perth cyclist killed after being hit by a car.

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Marty, Nov 29, 2005.

  1. Marty

    Marty Guest

    Heard on the ABC radio today that an elderly male cyclist was killed
    today whilst crossing a road with his bike. Only details known are that
    it was a four wheel drive and the police don't think it was speeding.

    Marty

    Tags:

  2. Jono L

    Jono L Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2005
    Messages:
    4,434
    Another 4WD, another death.

  3. BrettS

    BrettS Guest

    Marty wrote:
    > Heard on the ABC radio today that an elderly male cyclist was killed
    > today whilst crossing a road with his bike. Only details known are that
    > it was a four wheel drive and the police don't think it was speeding.
    >
    > Marty

    I saw it on the news. According to an eyewitness the 'cyclist' (who was
    apparently an 89 y.o. man) was attempting to push his bike across Tonkin
    Highway despite facing a red light. According to the witness, he
    started walking across, then realized he had to hurry and started to
    'run'.

    The skid marks from the 4WD (A Nissan Patrol) started about where the
    stop line is and went all the way across the intersection, veering from
    the left lane into the right lane where it collided with the cyclist
    (who will be classified as a pedestrian)

    A rather fatal error in judgment.

    --
    BrettS

  4. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    Jono L wrote:
    > Another 4WD, another death.

    Another stupid statement. The 82 year old guy was walking his bike across
    Tonkin Hwy against the red light.

    Theo

  5. Jono L

    Jono L Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2005
    Messages:
    4,434
    I was waiting for that.;)

  6. Donga

    Donga Guest

    >Jono L wrote:
    >> Another 4WD, another death.

    >Another stupid statement. The 82 year old guy was walking his bike across
    >Tonkin Hwy against the red light.

    >Theo

    Why is it so stupid? We are told that 4WDs are less likely than a
    conventional car to be able to avoid a collision due to high inertia
    and poor handling/braking, also that they are more likely to kill/maim
    because of their squarer shape and higher mass. Jono's comment seems
    reasonable.

    Donga

  7. SuzieB

    SuzieB New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2005
    Another pedestrian crossing when they shouldn't be.

  8. cyclist2

    cyclist2 New Member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2004
    Whats the rule when crossing a intersection to continue on a pedestrian/bike path with a cross walk?.
    Do cyclist have right of way or have to dismount and walk with bike accross the cross walk to rejoin pedestrian/cycle path? hope this makes sence :)

  9. Jono L

    Jono L Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2005
    Messages:
    4,434
    Hook, line and sinker.

    :)

  10. Euan

    Euan Guest

    cyclist2> Marty Wrote:
    >> Heard on the ABC radio today that an elderly male cyclist was
    >> killed today whilst crossing a road with his bike. Only details
    >> known are that it was a four wheel drive and the police don't
    >> think it was speeding.
    >>
    >> Marty

    cyclist2> Whats the rule when crossing a intersection to continue on
    cyclist2> a bike path with a cross walk?. Do cyclist have right of
    cyclist2> way or have to dismount and walk with bike accross the
    cyclist2> cross walk to rejoin cycle path? hope this makes sence :)

    Frankly, who cares? The PEDESTRIAN who happened to be pushing a bike
    jaywalked. It's sad what happened and it could be argued that the
    vehicle involved had a duty of care to avoid the collision but the
    pedestrian broke the law and paid the ultimate price.
    --
    Cheers | ~~ [email protected]
    Euan | ~~ _-\<,

  11. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    Donga wrote:
    >> Jono L wrote:
    >>> Another 4WD, another death.

    >> Another stupid statement. The 82 year old guy was walking his bike
    >> across Tonkin Hwy against the red light.

    > Why is it so stupid? We are told that 4WDs are less likely than a
    > conventional car to be able to avoid a collision due to high inertia
    > and poor handling/braking, also that they are more likely to kill/maim
    > because of their squarer shape and higher mass. Jono's comment seems
    > reasonable.

    Jono was fishing, and I took the bait. The old guy was a pedestrian, not a
    cyclist, and 4WDs will not cause the earth to end. (well, maybe for 82 yo
    peds crossing against the lights).

    When I'm in my 11 tonne, yes 11 tonne, 4WD, you'd better get out of the
    goddamn way. You'll know it's me because it will be a red and white truck
    with flashing red and blue lights on top, full of firies. :)

    Theo

  12. Jono L

    Jono L Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2005
    Messages:
    4,434
    They're not doing us any favours though are they?

    ooooohhh Big Man!;)

    4WD's are farm vehicles and nothing else.:)

    Jono *Two wheels only* L

  13. BrettS

    BrettS Guest

    cyclist2 wrote:

    > Whats the rule when crossing a intersection to continue on a bike path
    > with a cross walk?.
    > Do cyclist have right of way or have to dismount and walk with bike
    > accross the cross walk to rejoin cycle path? hope this makes sence :)

    As I understand the law, shared paths end at all intersections. Unless
    the crosswalk or pedestrian crossing has a bicycles light as well as a
    pedestrian light, cyclists must dismount before crossing *between the
    dashed lines*. They must also wait for the light to turn green before
    walking across.

    That's what we all do.
    ;-)

    --
    BrettS

  14. DD

    DD Guest

    Theo Bekkers wrote:

    > When I'm in my 11 tonne, yes 11 tonne, 4WD, you'd better get out of the
    > goddamn way. You'll know it's me because it will be a red and white truck
    > with flashing red and blue lights on top, full of firies. :)

    although permit me to ask "where's the fire?" when you come screaming past.

  15. Kathy

    Kathy Guest

    Jono L wrote:

    > Theo Bekkers Wrote:
    >

    >>and 4WDs will not cause the earth to end.
    >>TheoThey're not doing us any favours though are they?

    > Theo Bekkers Wrote:
    >

    >>When I'm in my 11 tonne, yes 11 tonne, 4WD, you'd better get out of the
    >>goddamn way.
    >>Theoooooohhh Big Man!;)

    > 4WD's are farm vehicles and nothing else.:)
    >
    > Jono *Two wheels only* L

    2 wheels good. 4 wheels bad.

    Dave

  16. ghostgum

    ghostgum New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Hey, I resent that! I've got a 4WD car, which is not as the yanks would call it, a truck. It weighs about 100kg more than the 2WD model, is slightly more inefficient, but is much nicer when camping and skiing. You *never* have to put on chains in pleasant weather.

  17. artemidorus

    artemidorus New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2004
    Messages:
    2,307
    It's putting on chains in unpleasant weather that I hate.

  18. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "ghostgum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Jono L Wrote:
    >>
    >> 4WD's are farm vehicles and nothing else.:)
    >>

    > Hey, I resent that! I've got a 4WD car, which is not as the yanks
    > would call it, a truck. It weighs about 100kg more than the 2WD model,
    > is slightly more inefficient, but is much nicer when camping and skiing.
    > You *never* have to put on chains in pleasant weather.
    >

    > --
    > ghostgum

    If it's something like a Subaru RX sedan, it's not the sort of vehicle we're
    talking about as it's dynamically on par with the 2WD model (probably better
    if the 2WD is FWD). They're usually designated AWD (All Wheel Drive) to
    provide a distinction from 2½ ton pratmobiles.

  19. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    DD wrote:
    > Theo Bekkers wrote:
    >
    >> When I'm in my 11 tonne, yes 11 tonne, 4WD, you'd better get out of
    >> the goddamn way. You'll know it's me because it will be a red and
    >> white truck with flashing red and blue lights on top, full of
    >> firies. :)

    > although permit me to ask "where's the fire?" when you come screaming
    > past.

    You'll probably be able to see the smoke filling the horizon by then. :)

    Vollies rarely use sirens, except in those cases where a driver can't see
    the big truck with the flashing lights. Not that often. The regular firies
    that run around the metro area always use their siren. City people are so
    much less aware of their surroundings.

    Theo

  20. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2005-12-01, Theo Bekkers (aka Bruce)
    > The regular firies
    > that run around the metro area always use their siren. City people are so
    > much less aware of their surroundings.

    Have you found that riced up cars with super loud subwoofers all too
    rarely set themselves up as hood ornaments to your AWD?

    Doesn't happen nearly often enough, dammit.

    --
    TimC
    Error: Fuzzy Pointer Exception