Perth cyclist killed after being hit by a car.

Marty

Guest
Heard on the ABC radio today that an elderly male cyclist was killed
today whilst crossing a road with his bike. Only details known are that
it was a four wheel drive and the police don't think it was speeding.

Marty

Marty wrote:
> Heard on the ABC radio today that an elderly male cyclist was killed
> today whilst crossing a road with his bike. Only details known are that
> it was a four wheel drive and the police don't think it was speeding.
>
> Marty

I saw it on the news. According to an eyewitness the 'cyclist' (who was
apparently an 89 y.o. man) was attempting to push his bike across Tonkin
Highway despite facing a red light. According to the witness, he
started walking across, then realized he had to hurry and started to
'run'.

The skid marks from the 4WD (A Nissan Patrol) started about where the
stop line is and went all the way across the intersection, veering from
the left lane into the right lane where it collided with the cyclist
(who will be classified as a pedestrian)

A rather fatal error in judgment.

--
BrettS

Jono L wrote:
> Another 4WD, another death.

Another stupid statement. The 82 year old guy was walking his bike across
Tonkin Hwy against the red light.

Theo

Theo Bekkers said:
Jono L wrote:
> Another 4WD, another death.

Another stupid statement. The 82 year old guy was walking his bike across
Tonkin Hwy against the red light.

Theo
I was waiting for that.;)

>Jono L wrote:
>> Another 4WD, another death.

>Another stupid statement. The 82 year old guy was walking his bike across
>Tonkin Hwy against the red light.

>Theo

Why is it so stupid? We are told that 4WDs are less likely than a
conventional car to be able to avoid a collision due to high inertia
and poor handling/braking, also that they are more likely to kill/maim
because of their squarer shape and higher mass. Jono's comment seems
reasonable.

Donga

Marty said:
Heard on the ABC radio today that an elderly male cyclist was killed
today whilst crossing a road with his bike. Only details known are that
it was a four wheel drive and the police don't think it was speeding.

Marty
Whats the rule when crossing a intersection to continue on a pedestrian/bike path with a cross walk?.
Do cyclist have right of way or have to dismount and walk with bike accross the cross walk to rejoin pedestrian/cycle path? hope this makes sence :)

cyclist2> Marty Wrote:
>> Heard on the ABC radio today that an elderly male cyclist was
>> killed today whilst crossing a road with his bike. Only details
>> known are that it was a four wheel drive and the police don't
>> think it was speeding.
>>
>> Marty

cyclist2> Whats the rule when crossing a intersection to continue on
cyclist2> a bike path with a cross walk?. Do cyclist have right of
cyclist2> way or have to dismount and walk with bike accross the
cyclist2> cross walk to rejoin cycle path? hope this makes sence :)

Frankly, who cares? The PEDESTRIAN who happened to be pushing a bike
jaywalked. It's sad what happened and it could be argued that the
vehicle involved had a duty of care to avoid the collision but the
pedestrian broke the law and paid the ultimate price.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

Donga wrote:
>> Jono L wrote:
>>> Another 4WD, another death.

>> Another stupid statement. The 82 year old guy was walking his bike
>> across Tonkin Hwy against the red light.

> Why is it so stupid? We are told that 4WDs are less likely than a
> conventional car to be able to avoid a collision due to high inertia
> and poor handling/braking, also that they are more likely to kill/maim
> because of their squarer shape and higher mass. Jono's comment seems
> reasonable.

Jono was fishing, and I took the bait. The old guy was a pedestrian, not a
cyclist, and 4WDs will not cause the earth to end. (well, maybe for 82 yo
peds crossing against the lights).

When I'm in my 11 tonne, yes 11 tonne, 4WD, you'd better get out of the
goddamn way. You'll know it's me because it will be a red and white truck
with flashing red and blue lights on top, full of firies. :)

Theo

Theo Bekkers said:

and 4WDs will not cause the earth to end.
Theo
They're not doing us any favours though are they?

Theo Bekkers said:

When I'm in my 11 tonne, yes 11 tonne, 4WD, you'd better get out of the
goddamn way.
Theo
ooooohhh Big Man!;)

4WD's are farm vehicles and nothing else.:)

Jono *Two wheels only* L

cyclist2 wrote:

> Whats the rule when crossing a intersection to continue on a bike path
> with a cross walk?.
> Do cyclist have right of way or have to dismount and walk with bike
> accross the cross walk to rejoin cycle path? hope this makes sence :)

As I understand the law, shared paths end at all intersections. Unless
the crosswalk or pedestrian crossing has a bicycles light as well as a
pedestrian light, cyclists must dismount before crossing *between the
dashed lines*. They must also wait for the light to turn green before
walking across.

That's what we all do.
;-)

--
BrettS

Theo Bekkers wrote:

> When I'm in my 11 tonne, yes 11 tonne, 4WD, you'd better get out of the
> goddamn way. You'll know it's me because it will be a red and white truck
> with flashing red and blue lights on top, full of firies. :)

although permit me to ask "where's the fire?" when you come screaming past.

Jono L wrote:

> Theo Bekkers Wrote:
>

>>and 4WDs will not cause the earth to end.
>>TheoThey're not doing us any favours though are they?

> Theo Bekkers Wrote:
>

>>When I'm in my 11 tonne, yes 11 tonne, 4WD, you'd better get out of the
>>goddamn way.
>>Theoooooohhh Big Man!;)

> 4WD's are farm vehicles and nothing else.:)
>
> Jono *Two wheels only* L

2 wheels good. 4 wheels bad.

Dave

Jono L said:
4WD's are farm vehicles and nothing else.:)
Hey, I resent that! I've got a 4WD car, which is not as the yanks would call it, a truck. It weighs about 100kg more than the 2WD model, is slightly more inefficient, but is much nicer when camping and skiing. You *never* have to put on chains in pleasant weather.

"ghostgum" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Jono L Wrote:
>>
>> 4WD's are farm vehicles and nothing else.:)
>>

> Hey, I resent that! I've got a 4WD car, which is not as the yanks
> would call it, a truck. It weighs about 100kg more than the 2WD model,
> is slightly more inefficient, but is much nicer when camping and skiing.
> You *never* have to put on chains in pleasant weather.
>

> --
> ghostgum

If it's something like a Subaru RX sedan, it's not the sort of vehicle we're
talking about as it's dynamically on par with the 2WD model (probably better
if the 2WD is FWD). They're usually designated AWD (All Wheel Drive) to
provide a distinction from 2½ ton pratmobiles.

DD wrote:
> Theo Bekkers wrote:
>
>> When I'm in my 11 tonne, yes 11 tonne, 4WD, you'd better get out of
>> the goddamn way. You'll know it's me because it will be a red and
>> white truck with flashing red and blue lights on top, full of
>> firies. :)

> although permit me to ask "where's the fire?" when you come screaming
> past.

You'll probably be able to see the smoke filling the horizon by then. :)

Vollies rarely use sirens, except in those cases where a driver can't see
the big truck with the flashing lights. Not that often. The regular firies
that run around the metro area always use their siren. City people are so
much less aware of their surroundings.

Theo

On 2005-12-01, Theo Bekkers (aka Bruce)
> The regular firies
> that run around the metro area always use their siren. City people are so
> much less aware of their surroundings.

Have you found that riced up cars with super loud subwoofers all too
rarely set themselves up as hood ornaments to your AWD?

Doesn't happen nearly often enough, dammit.

--
TimC
Error: Fuzzy Pointer Exception