Perth Freeway Bike Hike

SteveA wrote:

<snip>

> Steve(will my HRM tell me if I have myocarditis)A

(does it talk?)

Ummm, bad chest pain? Weird heart beats? Just the usual.

On 2005-03-21 12:58:16 +1000, hippy <[email protected]> said:

> Andrew Bell wrote:
>> Yes, but you really shouldn?t exercise while viraemic for risk of viral
>> myocarditis.

> What's that mean in english?
>
> hippy ;)

Viral infections are, by and large, systemic illnesses, ie. Not
localised to one part/ region or organ of the body. Viraemia refers to
virii in the blood stream, and is commonly felt as the ?chills? or high
fevers or muscle aches and pains when ill with a ?flu like illness.
Vigorous exercise under these circumstances may predispose to the blood
borne virus lodging/ settling/ establishing itself in the myocardium
(heart muscle) and causing inflammation there (myocarditis) where it
would not, under ordinary circumstances, infect. Skeletal (limb) muscle
aches and pains are after all symptoms of the virus affecting these
muscles. Arrhythmias (irregularities of the heart beat) and/ or cardiac
failure may result, but most episodes are self limiting.

Lost a mate to it. Went to work feeling unwell at Easter a few years
ago, and never came home.

Disclaimer: Not a virologist (person who studies virii). Opinions are my own.

But it is what I and my family do. No vigorous exercise when viraemic.

AB

SteveA said:
I still rode on Sunday as it was only a gentle 10km with the kids along the freeway with no real hills to speak of. If I had been contemplating the 30km course, I would probably have taken a rest day.

For the 30km riders there was a cash prize ($2,000?) for the first across the line - won with an average speed of around 42kph.

All in all, it was a good ride. The greatest danger was from small children on bikes who used all of the width of the 2 lanes of road to weave across, or just wobbled unsteadily on their way. I didn't see anyone come down, but MrsA who was a bit behind at the start says she saw a battered and bloodied rider returning up the freeway on-ramp at the 10km start point - all torn lycra and road rash.

There were a few 'shed bikes' - looked like they had been found hanging rusting in the shed the day before the ride. Quite a few BMX bikes. And a penny farthing with a trailer. Strangest sight was a bloke on a Lance Armstrong US Postal Service Trek replica, with all the good bits, dressed head to toe in US Postal team kit, but wearing sandshoes on flat pedals!

Steve(will my HRM tell me if I have myocarditis)A
Mr Eddie Hollands won the Quokka Sprint. first prize was 500 bucks. It was on from the gun and it was damn sketchy going through the tunnel at 50+kph, with little light and everyone fighting for wheels. No crashes though the cateyes between the lanes caused a couple of tense moments when wheels went sideways. Great fun and it was a good workout. I didnt like the finish much though. those last few corners were too sharp. for the record, i stayed in the group, chased down one break before sitting in again andwaiting for a big gun to attack and hopefully get his wheel. Eddie attacked with 3-4 kms to go and i managed to catch his wheel but being early in the season i have little high end and was well and truly deposited in the hurtbag. Managed to stay with the group and finished "mid pack". no complaints from me.
Cant wait for the bibra lake TT on friday!!

Tamyka Bell wrote:
> I think that kinda counts as referencing :p

"Trust me.."

> (Oh, this is a long lunch break...)

Is there any other sort? :)

hippy

byron27 wrote:

> SteveA Wrote:
>
>>I still rode on Sunday as it was only a gentle 10km with the kids along
>>the freeway with no real hills to speak of. If I had been
>>contemplating the 30km course, I would probably have taken a rest day.
>>

>>For the 30km riders there was a cash prize ($2,000?) for the first
>>across the line - won with an average speed of around 42kph.
>>
>>All in all, it was a good ride. The greatest danger was from small
>>children on bikes who used all of the width of the 2 lanes of road to
>>weave across, or just wobbled unsteadily on their way. I didn't see
>>anyone come down, but MrsA who was a bit behind at the start says she
>>saw a battered and bloodied rider returning up the freeway on-ramp at
>>the 10km start point - all torn lycra and road rash.
>>
>>There were a few 'shed bikes' - looked like they had been found hanging
>>rusting in the shed the day before the ride. Quite a few BMX bikes.
>>And a penny farthing with a trailer. Strangest sight was a bloke on a
>>Lance Armstrong US Postal Service Trek replica, with all the good bits,
>>dressed head to toe in US Postal team kit, but wearing sandshoes on flat
>>pedals!
>>
>>Steve(will my HRM tell me if I have myocarditis)A

> Mr Eddie Hollands won the Quokka Sprint. first prize was 500 bucks. It
> was on from the gun and it was damn sketchy going through the tunnel at
> 50+kph, with little light and everyone fighting for wheels. No crashes
> though the cateyes between the lanes caused a couple of tense moments
> when wheels went sideways. Great fun and it was a good workout. I didnt
> like the finish much though. those last few corners were too sharp. for
> the record, i stayed in the group, chased down one break before sitting
> in again andwaiting for a big gun to attack and hopefully get his wheel.
> Eddie attacked with 3-4 kms to go and i managed to catch his wheel but
> being early in the season i have little high end and was well and truly
> deposited in the hurtbag. Managed to stay with the group and finished
> "mid pack". no complaints from me.
> Cant wait for the bibra lake TT on friday!!

Sounds like it was a gret run, although, if the wind was anything like
my crit race yesterday, you musta had a headwind the whole way? Holding
onto a good wheel would've been imperative.

--
Brett

Andrew Bell wrote:
> Viral infections are, by and large, systemic illnesses, ie. Not
> localised to one part/ region or organ of the body. Viraemia refers to
> virii in the blood stream, and is commonly felt as the ?chills? or high
> fevers or muscle aches and pains when ill with a ?flu like illness.
> Vigorous exercise under these circumstances may predispose to the blood
> borne virus lodging/ settling/ establishing itself in the myocardium
> (heart muscle) and causing inflammation there (myocarditis) where it
> would not, under ordinary circumstances, infect. Skeletal (limb) muscle
> aches and pains are after all symptoms of the virus affecting these
> muscles. Arrhythmias (irregularities of the heart beat) and/ or cardiac
> failure may result, but most episodes are self limiting.
>
> Lost a mate to it. Went to work feeling unwell at Easter a few years
> ago, and never came home.
>
> Disclaimer: Not a virologist (person who studies virii). Opinions are
> my own.
>
> But it is what I and my family do. No vigorous exercise when viraemic.

Oh.. I always used to ride while sick.. "punish that puny body!". It was
after last year or the year before when I just didn't get better for
weeks and weeks that I woke up to the fact that riding wasn't helping.
So now I back off if I'm proper sick. My heart will chew up and spit out
any virii attempting entry. There's no.. <transmission ends>

hippy cannot sign off at the moment due to medical difficulties, please
send assistance immediately..

;)

byron27 said:
Mr Eddie Hollands won the Quokka Sprint. first prize was 500 bucks. It was on from the gun and it was damn sketchy going through the tunnel at 50+kph, with little light and everyone fighting for wheels. No crashes though the cateyes between the lanes caused a couple of tense moments when wheels went sideways. Great fun and it was a good workout. I didnt like the finish much though. those last few corners were too sharp. for the record, i stayed in the group, chased down one break before sitting in again andwaiting for a big gun to attack and hopefully get his wheel. Eddie attacked with 3-4 kms to go and i managed to catch his wheel but being early in the season i have little high end and was well and truly deposited in the hurtbag. Managed to stay with the group and finished "mid pack". no complaints from me.
Cant wait for the bibra lake TT on friday!!
Byron,
I heard someone say $2000 for the Quokka Sprint, but $500 is not bad anyway. As the 30km event started at 7:30am and the 10km event started at 9:00am (marshalling from 7:30), we were able to see some of the longer ride while driving up the freeway to get to our start point for the shorter event. We saw the 'quokka sprint' contenders about 1km from the end of the freeway - and they (you) looked like they were going like the hammers with a small break and a group behind. Looked quickish.

SteveA

SteveA said:
Byron,
I heard someone say $2000 for the Quokka Sprint, but $500 is not bad anyway. As the 30km event started at 7:30am and the 10km event started at 9:00am (marshalling from 7:30), we were able to see some of the longer ride while driving up the freeway to get to our start point for the shorter event. We saw the 'quokka sprint' contenders about 1km from the end of the freeway - and they (you) looked like they were going like the hammers with a small break and a group behind. Looked quickish.

SteveA
Break was caught just after the end of the freeway coming down the main drag in joondalup (grand promenade??). The break had shelled themselves and essentially went OTB. We had a slight head wind though the freeway is quite well protected so i didnt notice it that much.

I think $2000 was the total prize money for possies 1-5 plus "value of other stuff" given away.

byron27 wrote:
> SteveA Wrote:
>
>>I still rode on Sunday as it was only a gentle 10km with the kids along
>>the freeway with no real hills to speak of. If I had been
>>contemplating the 30km course, I would probably have taken a rest day.
>>

>>For the 30km riders there was a cash prize ($2,000?) for the first
>>across the line - won with an average speed of around 42kph.
>>
>>All in all, it was a good ride. The greatest danger was from small
>>children on bikes who used all of the width of the 2 lanes of road to
>>weave across, or just wobbled unsteadily on their way. I didn't see
>>anyone come down, but MrsA who was a bit behind at the start says she
>>saw a battered and bloodied rider returning up the freeway on-ramp at
>>the 10km start point - all torn lycra and road rash.
>>
>>There were a few 'shed bikes' - looked like they had been found hanging
>>rusting in the shed the day before the ride. Quite a few BMX bikes.
>>And a penny farthing with a trailer. Strangest sight was a bloke on a
>>Lance Armstrong US Postal Service Trek replica, with all the good bits,
>>dressed head to toe in US Postal team kit, but wearing sandshoes on flat
>>pedals!
>>
>>Steve(will my HRM tell me if I have myocarditis)A

> Mr Eddie Hollands won the Quokka Sprint. first prize was 500 bucks. It
> was on from the gun and it was damn sketchy going through the tunnel at
> 50+kph, with little light and everyone fighting for wheels. No crashes
> though the cateyes between the lanes caused a couple of tense moments
> when wheels went sideways. Great fun and it was a good workout. I didnt
> like the finish much though. those last few corners were too sharp. for
> the record, i stayed in the group, chased down one break before sitting
> in again andwaiting for a big gun to attack and hopefully get his wheel.
> Eddie attacked with 3-4 kms to go and i managed to catch his wheel but
> being early in the season i have little high end and was well and truly
> deposited in the hurtbag. Managed to stay with the group and finished
> "mid pack". no complaints from me.
> Cant wait for the bibra lake TT on friday!!

See you at the Bibra Lake TT too! I've convinced a few friends to try
a TT for the first time. It'll give me a chance to stretch the legs on
my new Orbea too. I checked out the course a couple of weeks ago on the
MTB with my son in the baby seat. Traffic was pretty bad - should be
better on Friday morning.

Duncan.

Duncan Farrow said:
byron27 wrote:
> SteveA Wrote:
>
>>I still rode on Sunday as it was only a gentle 10km with the kids along
>>the freeway with no real hills to speak of. If I had been
>>contemplating the 30km course, I would probably have taken a rest day.
>>

>>For the 30km riders there was a cash prize ($2,000?) for the first
>>across the line - won with an average speed of around 42kph.
>>
>>All in all, it was a good ride. The greatest danger was from small
>>children on bikes who used all of the width of the 2 lanes of road to
>>weave across, or just wobbled unsteadily on their way. I didn't see
>>anyone come down, but MrsA who was a bit behind at the start says she
>>saw a battered and bloodied rider returning up the freeway on-ramp at
>>the 10km start point - all torn lycra and road rash.
>>
>>There were a few 'shed bikes' - looked like they had been found hanging
>>rusting in the shed the day before the ride. Quite a few BMX bikes.
>>And a penny farthing with a trailer. Strangest sight was a bloke on a
>>Lance Armstrong US Postal Service Trek replica, with all the good bits,
>>dressed head to toe in US Postal team kit, but wearing sandshoes on flat
>>pedals!
>>
>>Steve(will my HRM tell me if I have myocarditis)A

> Mr Eddie Hollands won the Quokka Sprint. first prize was 500 bucks. It
> was on from the gun and it was damn sketchy going through the tunnel at
> 50+kph, with little light and everyone fighting for wheels. No crashes
> though the cateyes between the lanes caused a couple of tense moments
> when wheels went sideways. Great fun and it was a good workout. I didnt
> like the finish much though. those last few corners were too sharp. for
> the record, i stayed in the group, chased down one break before sitting
> in again andwaiting for a big gun to attack and hopefully get his wheel.
> Eddie attacked with 3-4 kms to go and i managed to catch his wheel but
> being early in the season i have little high end and was well and truly
> deposited in the hurtbag. Managed to stay with the group and finished
> "mid pack". no complaints from me.
> Cant wait for the bibra lake TT on friday!!

See you at the Bibra Lake TT too! I've convinced a few friends to try
a TT for the first time. It'll give me a chance to stretch the legs on
my new Orbea too. I checked out the course a couple of weeks ago on the
MTB with my son in the baby seat. Traffic was pretty bad - should be
better on Friday morning.

Duncan.
will you be on the cinelli?

i will have bib number 10. I will be on my beloved colnago. i'll see you there.

Bleh, perhaps next year, and then I may have the legs to go with my spanky new cervelo :p

My wheelset finally arrived, so Perth people, keep your eyes peeled =)

till

byron27 wrote:

> Duncan Farrow Wrote:
>
>>byron27 wrote:

>>along

>>day.

>>hanging

>>bits,

>>flat

>>>Mr Eddie Hollands won the Quokka Sprint. first prize was 500 bucks.

>>It
>>
>>>was on from the gun and it was damn sketchy going through the tunnel

>>at
>>
>>>50+kph, with little light and everyone fighting for wheels. No

>>crashes
>>
>>>though the cateyes between the lanes caused a couple of tense moments
>>>when wheels went sideways. Great fun and it was a good workout. I

>>didnt
>>
>>>like the finish much though. those last few corners were too sharp.

>>for
>>
>>>the record, i stayed in the group, chased down one break before

>>sitting
>>
>>>in again andwaiting for a big gun to attack and hopefully get his

>>wheel.
>>
>>>Eddie attacked with 3-4 kms to go and i managed to catch his wheel

>>but
>>
>>>being early in the season i have little high end and was well and

>>truly
>>
>>>deposited in the hurtbag. Managed to stay with the group and finished
>>>"mid pack". no complaints from me.
>>>Cant wait for the bibra lake TT on friday!!
>>>

>>See you at the Bibra Lake TT too! I've convinced a few friends to try
>>a TT for the first time. It'll give me a chance to stretch the legs on
>>my new Orbea too. I checked out the course a couple of weeks ago on
>>the
>>MTB with my son in the baby seat. Traffic was pretty bad - should be
>>better on Friday morning.
>>
>>Duncan.

> will you be on the cinelli?
>
> i will have bib number 10. I will be on my beloved colnago. i'll see
> you there.

Bib number? I've not got a bib number. I was going to show up on the
day. Do we need to register before the day?

I was going to take my new Orbea Onix out for a spin...

Duncan.

Brett wrote:

> Lanterne Rouge wrote:
>
>>> Point taken. I was a bit concerned too, until I saw people with bikes
>>> that cost about 5x mine stickering with no worries

>> Having read this thread after putting the sticker on my cf frame (and
>> after the ride), I started to worry. I ran to my bike with visions of
>> the frame twisting and cracking as I pulled the sticker off. It came
>> off easy peasy (lemon squeezy).
>>
>> By the way I thought the ride was great fun. On the way back on the
>> path along the freeway I was surprised at how **** some of the
>> sections of bike path were.

> I totally agree. The one good thing about living south of the river is
> that the freeway cycle path is at least all on the same side of the
> freeway... When the South Street and Leach Highway underpasses are
> built and Mt Henry Bridge is finished, we will only have one cross road
> between Safety Bay Road and the city!
>
> --
> Brett

I didn't realize they're fixing the Leach Hwy part - that part was
always a nightmare - I might change my round-the-river route if that
gets fixed.

I did the freeway ride yesterday. It was pretty awesome to have 6500
bikes in approximately the same space. The road in the tunnel was
amazingly smooth although the atmosphere in there was pretty horrible.
It must get really nasty when there are cars and trucks in there as well.

The ride was pretty well organised I thought. Getting back to Perth was
OK via train (I cheated). Riding back on the roads with the cars was a
bit of a come-down!

Think they'll do it again next year?

I saw on the news that the Quokka sprint chaps averaged 50kph for the
30km. I thought I did pretty good doing 32kph!

Cheers,
Duncan.

Duncan Farrow said:
Bib number? I've not got a bib number. I was going to show up on the
day. Do we need to register before the day?

I was going to take my new Orbea Onix out for a spin...

Duncan.
you dont have to register. i only do so to get a early start time so that i get in before the easterly picks up. I guess i take these things a bit seriously.....:D . That said, this TT usually gets packed out and they have been known to close the gates, so to say, and not allow any more riders after around 140-150 riders.

Duncan Farrow said:
I saw on the news that the Quokka sprint chaps averaged 50kph for the
30km. I thought I did pretty good doing 32kph!

Cheers,
Duncan.
gee, while i would love to say that was the case, my speedo read an average of 41.7kph. we did the ride in 41 minutes. The pace was steady but by no means leg blowing. Most crits average 42-44kph.

On 2005-03-21 14:14:55 +1000, hippy <[email protected]> said:

> Andrew Bell wrote:
>> Viral infections are, by and large, systemic illnesses, ie. Not
>> localised to one part/ region or organ of the body. Viraemia refers to
>> virii in the blood stream, and is commonly felt as the ?chills? or high
>> fevers or muscle aches and pains when ill with a ?flu like illness.
>> Vigorous exercise under these circumstances may predispose to the blood
>> borne virus lodging/ settling/ establishing itself in the myocardium
>> (heart muscle) and causing inflammation there (myocarditis) where it
>> would not, under ordinary circumstances, infect. Skeletal (limb) muscle
>> aches and pains are after all symptoms of the virus affecting these
>> muscles. Arrhythmias (irregularities of the heart beat) and/ or cardiac
>> failure may result, but most episodes are self limiting.
>>
>> Lost a mate to it. Went to work feeling unwell at Easter a few years
>> ago, and never came home.
>>
>> Disclaimer: Not a virologist (person who studies virii). Opinions are my own.
>>
>> But it is what I and my family do. No vigorous exercise when viraemic.

> Oh.. I always used to ride while sick.. "punish that puny body!". It
> was after last year or the year before when I just didn't get better
> for weeks and weeks that I woke up to the fact that riding wasn't
> helping.
> So now I back off if I'm proper sick. My heart will chew up and spit
> out any virii attempting entry. There's no.. <transmission ends>
>
> hippy cannot sign off at the moment due to medical difficulties, please
> send assistance immediately..
>
> ;)

Measures that may decrease the chances of developing a dilated
cardiomyopathy are:
> ? Refraining from excessive alcohol intake
> ? Refraining from physical exercise during viraemia (that is, when
> viral particles are found in the blood, e.g. during the early phases of
> flu)
> ? Early diagnosis and treatment of hypertension

http://www.health24.com/medical/Condition_centres/777-792-812-1727,14457.asp

AB

byron27 said:
gee, while i would love to say that was the case, my speedo read an average of 41.7kph. we did the ride in 41 minutes. The pace was steady but by no means leg blowing. Most crits average 42-44kph.

And the announcement on the podium was 42 or 42.x

SteveA

"byron27" wrote

> Duncan Farrow Wrote:
>> I saw on the news that the Quokka sprint chaps averaged 50kph for the
>> 30km. I thought I did pretty good doing 32kph!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Duncan.

> gee, while i would love to say that was the case, my speedo read an
> average of 41.7kph. we did the ride in 41 minutes. The pace was steady
> but by no means leg blowing. Most crits average 42-44kph.

That's still pretty damn good. Our group managed an average of 40kph and did
the ride in 45 minutes. That is the fastest average I have ever done, but
then I don't race, and I was doing alot of wheel sucking!! I have a long
way to go to be able to manage the 50+ kph at the head of a bunch that you
guys seem to be able to manage.

Bjay

Duncan Farrow wrote:

> Brett wrote:

>>> Having read this thread after putting the sticker on my cf frame (and
>>> after the ride), I started to worry. I ran to my bike with visions of
>>> the frame twisting and cracking as I pulled the sticker off. It came
>>> off easy peasy (lemon squeezy).
>>>
>>> By the way I thought the ride was great fun. On the way back on the
>>> path along the freeway I was surprised at how **** some of the
>>> sections of bike path were.

>> I totally agree. The one good thing about living south of the river
>> is that the freeway cycle path is at least all on the same side of the
>> freeway... When the South Street and Leach Highway underpasses are
>> built and Mt Henry Bridge is finished, we will only have one cross
>> road between Safety Bay Road and the city!
>>
>> --
>> Brett

> I didn't realize they're fixing the Leach Hwy part - that part was
> always a nightmare - I might change my round-the-river route if that
> gets fixed.
>
> I did the freeway ride yesterday. It was pretty awesome to have 6500
> bikes in approximately the same space. The road in the tunnel was
> amazingly smooth although the atmosphere in there was pretty horrible.
> It must get really nasty when there are cars and trucks in there as well.
>
> The ride was pretty well organised I thought. Getting back to Perth was
> OK via train (I cheated). Riding back on the roads with the cars was a
> bit of a come-down!
>
> Think they'll do it again next year?
>
> I saw on the news that the Quokka sprint chaps averaged 50kph for the
> 30km. I thought I did pretty good doing 32kph!
>
> Cheers,
> Duncan.

Yeah, well when Eddy Hollands can average 45+ km/h on his own for a 40km
time trial, any bunch with him in it would be fairly flying...

--
Brett

Andrew Bell wrote:
> Measures that may decrease the chances of developing a dilated
> cardiomyopathy are:
>> ? Refraining from excessive alcohol intake
>> ? Refraining from physical exercise during viraemia (that is,
>> when viral particles are found in the blood, e.g. during the early
>> phases of flu)
>> ? Early diagnosis and treatment of hypertension

> http://www.health24.com/medical/Condition_centres/777-792-812-1727,14457.asp

How appropriate this link should appear in yesterday's iRULE ezine:

<quote>
The first step is to diagnose whether you are suffering from influenza
or a cold. This is not always as easy as it sounds and a visit to a
registered GP is highly recommended if in doubt. Both the cold and the
flu are viruses however the flu is a systemic (whole body) infection
whereas a cold is an infection of the upper respiratory tract (URTI).
Common symptoms of the flu are full body aches, fevers and fatigue
whereas a cold is normally limit to chest and nasal congestion. With a
full body infection exercise is not recommended as the immune system is
already under considerable stress fighting the infection and any
additional stressor such as exercise could lead to secondary
complication such a lung infections or heart complications.

Colds on the other hand are infections limited to a specific area and
though the immune system will be working hard to combat the infection
there are some arguments for a moderate, but not strenuous, exercise to
help stimulate the immune system.

As was mentioned in the last article strenuous exercise has the
potential to suppress the immune system therefore logic says if the
immune system is already fighting an infection such as a cold, strenuous
exercise isn’t going to help the situation and will likely increase the
recovery time. Moderate exercise on the other hand appears to stimulate
the immune system. In general epidemiological studies using self
reported symptoms of URTI have found reduced URTI symptoms after
moderate exercise and an increase in URTI symptoms after strenuous
exercise (Pedersen & Hoffman-Goetz, 2000). Though to date there is still
a lack of direct casual evidence between these symptom effects and
exercise induced immune system changes.
</quote>

from:
http://www.irule.co.nz/cms/html/modules.php?name=IRuleHome&file=article&topicid=1.3.34&sid=464