Pet dogs running along cyclists? Is this

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by ptlwp, Oct 28, 2005.

1. ptlwp

ptlwp New Member

something that can safely be done, or more of a photo op on the T.V.

I have a beautiful Australian Shepherd dog who would just love the opportunity to run around with me for a little bit.

Is this asking for trouble? Does anyone have advice about this or done it?

Thanks

ptlwp

Tags:

2. John Budnik

John Budnik New Member

I have been told that dogs are not prepared for running distances. They're predators and can run short distances fast but long distances very slowly without it having ill affects. I heard that in regard to people taking they're dogs running with them and having the dogs collapse. Anyway, I would assume that you're riding further and faster than someone running, so I'd be careful about it.

3. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

This is not safe for you or your dog.
    A few months ago I was walking down the street and a guy came up behind me riding a bike with two dogs on leashes. When he was about ten feet back one of the dogs cut across in front of him, the leash caught up the front wheel, and he went down hard. Fortunately the dogs were ok and the guy was only a little scraped up, but it could have been a lot worse.

4. Eden

Eden New Member

And if you go leashless to avoid that kind of situation you will incur the wrath of many other walkers and cyclists. (not to mention maybe a ticket, depending on where you live.)

5. ptlwp

ptlwp New Member

thank you all, she is an Aussie, and has to be on a lead or she will run all over the earth!!!

I'd really have to do something like that in a park type situation and get a lot more in shape before I'd even try it. She is a herding dog....she might try to herd the bike which way she wants it to go....

6. Yippee38

Yippee38 New Member

I've got two Australian Cattle Dogs whom I would love to take cycling with me. They're out of shape though. The lady we got them from let them get very fat. They're both down to a good weight, but not in shape yet.

FWIW, ACDs are bred specifically to herd cattle all day long, and it is not unknown for them to run 30 miles in a day. However, I doubt they could do 30 miles at my pace. My wife did take out old ACD with her on her half-marathon training runs though.

I've seen a leash thing specifically for riding with a dog. It attaches to your bike (though I'm not sure where) and it has some kind of arm that stretches out to the side. I think your dog would then go on a short lead off the end of that. That prevents the dog from running in front of you. Unfortunately, it's been years since I saw that thing, and now have no idea where you could find something like that.

7. ptlwp

ptlwp New Member

I know that my Mattie girl would love a little run through the park.......but I'd only do it so long as it was safe for the both of us!!!

8. Jaguar27

Jaguar27 New Member

Don't do it...it's dangerous for you, probably bad for your Dog and a hazard for other Cyclists....

IMHO anyway...

9. wheelist

wheelist New Member

10. huhenio

huhenio New Member

I would not make the dog run alongside the bike.

Trailer with dog in it maybe, and take it to a park where he can sprint.

Dogs are sprinters, not long distance runners.

11. shrek1

shrek1 New Member

I agree whit you

12. jessmcph

jessmcph New Member

I saw the attachment for the dog leash to the bike a few months ago on line. It attached to the bike at the back wheel. I think to do this the dog would have to be worked up to performance shape, a vet would need to be consulted, and the dog would have to be well trained. i know my dog would just stop mid run and we would both be hurt. My dog would also love to run with me and has tried (escaped when i was riding to find me).

13. Trisha14

Trisha14 New Member

In my opinion - DEFINITELY DON'T take your dog riding with you. I think it's extremely unfair and cruel to your dog. It doesn't give them a chance to rest or take in the natural smells that they would normally do on a walk. And it also puts them and yourself in extreme danger of getting hurt.

My partner and I recently got two puppies and as part of it took them to puppy class at the local vet. And one thing they totally stressed to us was how much they hated seeing dogs get pulled along by an owners bike!!!

14. wheelist

wheelist New Member

Indeed.

Much better to get the dog to ride a bike too. That way the owner can either ride or run alongside, depending how fast the dog likes to ride. (It isn't necessary for the owner to be leashed to the bike, as the likelyhood that they will run off is remote).

Here's a useful example: http://www.compfused.com/directlink/851/

For those with lazy dogs that don't like to pedal, there's always this....

http://www.store.yahoo.com/tailsbythebay/dogbicycleseat.html

:D:D

15. ptlwp

ptlwp New Member

The only reason I mentioned this is because this dog is a very high energy dog and gets neurotic when

http://photo11.matchnet.com/beta/2005/11/01/07/92454485.jpg

not exercised enough!!! I am not talking about taking her on a triathalon, but maybe around the block or something like that, just to get her energy level under control as such....my husband thinks that frisbee is enough for her now....but when she was younger, a bike time would have been really great for her....

16. wheelist

wheelist New Member

My dog loves the bike. He happily runs alongside without a lead, but then I only take him for a ride round the park (something he'd do anyway if we were out for a walk). I've contemplated taking him up into the firetracks of the nearby forests as there are no (or very few) other people about and he'd be easier to keep an eye on.

I reckon if you don't ride too fast (the best way to avoid a collision), stop frequently (so the dog can pant), and pack it in when the dog looks tired (or you do) you'll be fine. :)

17. ptlwp

ptlwp New Member

Thanks, that is more of what I had in mind, but I have to get a little more used to theTrek Bontrager 7300 FX first!!!!!

18. Trisha14

Trisha14 New Member

Sorry I still thinks its cruel!!

19. Trisha14

Trisha14 New Member

Sorry I still thinks its cruel!!

20. wheelist

wheelist New Member

You should try arguing the point with my dog. :D