Pet Lovers

Azulene

Dec 4, 2003
Here in Portland we have this real cool Pub (The Lucky Labrador Brew Company). They cater to both bicyclist and dog lovers. A number of their customers I see at the pub rid their bike there some times and other times they bring their dogs.
I was just wondering how many of you are pet lovers?

For what it is worth The Lucky Labrador is one of the best microbrewer in town. Beer, Bicycle's and man's best friend it does not get much better than this. :p

We've got four dogs who can be seen here. I'm a board of directors member and former webmaster for Roswell Humane Society. So I guess I qualify as a dog lover. I'm not much of a drinker though, so I don't see myself going to a dog friendly pub in the near future.

I love dogs but don't have one of my own. I think this site needs a "post a picture of your pet" thread. How about doing that in this thread?

Love dogs. I have an overweight collie and a yellow lab. However the older I get the more annoyed I am by them.

My "ex" left me with a dosen cats. Personally I prefer dogs - we had one but she died - but I feel responsible and cats are very easy to handle, just feed them once a day. Since I am a very busy person, I'd rather not keep a dog since it will be miserable :( .

I got a bull terrier we where going to get her obediance classes at pets mart but she bit the worker there and drew blood they said she no longer qualifies. Isnt that a load of ****. they wont train a dog obediance unless it doesnt bite...wtf

J_Dub said:
I got a bull terrier we where going to get her obediance classes at pets mart but she bit the worker there and drew blood they said she no longer qualifies. Isnt that a load of ****. they wont train a dog obediance unless it doesnt bite...wtf
I wounder what the trainer was doing to make you dog bit her and what her qualication are?

J_Dub said:
Isn't a bull terrier the same as a pitbull? I know from experience that many groomers and kennels will not take these dogs because of their reputation to have "vicious tendancies". Also, many apartment complexes will ban these dogs. Mine friend's was always very friendly, but I'm guessing that the breed plays a part in Pet Smart's refusal to train it.

Also, did the Pet Smart employee file a claim against you? In the US, dog owners are held accountable for the actions of their dogs (unless the dog is provoked). If not, maybe you should be happy you got out of personal injury claim.

grampy bone said:
Isn't a bull terrier the same as a pitbull?
I do not believe they are the same breed. Bull terriers are much smaller. Sorry, but they are kinda of ugly.

Yes, bull terriers are not the same as pitbulls. Strange, I've never thought of bull terriers as being aggressive dogs. You can't really blame Petsmart for not wanting to train your dog. I think if a dog is biting (either because it is a fear-biter or its aggressive) then you should take it to a more qualified professional. There are a lot of dog "trainers" but it takes someone with a lot of experience to deal with a dog that bites. I don't know much about Petsmart but its possible they may only have instructors who can teach basic obedience but can't handle serious behavioral problems. You should try to find someone who will give you specialized attention as a biting problem is pretty serious.

One really has to question the credentials of the High School drop-outs at Pets Mart, and why you are paying them to train your dog. I would probably bite them too...
But, I have to think that if you are trusting the training of your best friend to Pets Mart, you are probably new to the wonderful world of dog training...and the dog is convinced that it is in charge (and thus, biting). I had a Rottweiler for years and this is the first rule of training she taught me...quickly. BE THE BOSS and the dog stops biting.
Anyway, my two cents worth after 7 years in the trenches grooming all breeds for show- only dog that ever got me was a Golden Retriever I knew all it's life (can'r say that I didn't have a close one with a Mastiff too- but we ended up friends).
Now, I have two- mutts really, thoughone was rescued from abuse
Izzy, the AmStaff x Border Collie (wanna learn how to train dogs...come meet this one!) who was beaten for the first eight months of her life.
William- the ubiquetous labx (dumb as a bag of hammers but always by my side) a ranch dog and Bumpass Hound of the highest order.

Anyway, take your BT to a qualified trainer so she (and you- training is more about the dog owner) can get her stuff straightened out (I assume she is a girl because the ONLY agression I have seen in this breed is in females...BECAUSE THEY ARE TRYING TO BE BOSSY.)
Did I say that enough?? Sure- I guess I did.

Nova and Aurora were recently rescued. They and their mother were/are feral. The mother was spayed and returned to her previous outdoor home. The kittens are now part of my family. They still have quite a bit of socializing left but they are making very good progress.

Roswell was feral and lived in a grocery store parking lot. Rescued him two years ago this January. He was only 5 months old when I found him. This guy was terrified of humans for about 6 months but has turned into a very loving cat. It's remarkable what some TLC can do for a wild animal.

Dexter was rescued as a little kitten from a dairy farm. Neither his mother or siblings were ever found and are belived to have been killed by coyotes that had been raiding the chicken coops. Dexter was so young that he hadn't yet been weaned from his mother. He was on his way to the humane society when I intervened. I took him in right after my father died. It really helped me out having this character around during that time.

Blackie Midnight is about 13 years old. I took him in one brutally cold Indiana winter 11 years ago when there were ice storms. He's my pal.

Star is just over three years old. I've had her for about two years. She is the only cat I have that was not a stray or wild. Got her from an organization called RescueCats. She's very sweet and absolutely has to be in the room with me when I'm on the trainer or lifing weights. She's great company.

Needless to say I vacuum a lot! :D But it's worth it.

Azulene said:
Here in Portland we have this real cool Pub (The Lucky Labrador Brew Company). They cater to both bicyclist and dog lovers. A number of their customers I see at the pub rid their bike there some times and other times they bring their dogs.
I was just wondering how many of you are pet lovers?

For what it is worth The Lucky Labrador is one of the best microbrewer in town. Beer, Bicycle's and man's best friend it does not get much better than this. :p
I'm a cat person. No offence but this is a cycling forum, what have dogs and cats got to do with it?

No dog, no cat, just a little, hairless RAT. Any other rat owners out there? (big block Chevrolets don't count)

Ralph Ray said:
No dog, no cat, just a little, hairless RAT. Any other rat owners out there? (big block Chevrolets don't count)
Hee heee- I used to have hairless rats, I've moved on to a hairless cat- she is pretty cool, but we have to keep the house warm for her!

rayner said:
I'm a cat person. No offence but this is a cycling forum, what have dogs and cats got to do with it?
Bike Cafe- any subject is OK, except *****ing about politics, which goes down to "Bloody Soapbox"
Cheers

Currently have cat & dog, plus my partners tortoiseshell "diva", Cleo, a lovely but highly strung kitty. HarryBarry is a cute litte ginger ex-tomcat and has just turned four & loves 'roo meat. So much so I've taken to whistling the Skippy theme at meal time.
http://cfsmtb.blogspot.com/2004/11/wwweeeeeeeeee.html

Miss Betty Dawg is a 17 yo Australian Blue Heeler x Kelpie. She's blind as a bat, but in great condition. Is developing more annoying habits as she gets older & slightly more potty but I love her to bits. She used run along side the bike before her eyeslight started to fail. Currently planning/designing a Betty trailer.