Petacchi absolved. Is free to ride!

ilpirata

Aug 19, 2004
Alessandro Petacchi was absolved by the Italian federation disciplinary commision. The CONI had previously asked for a one year suspension. Pettacchi was quoted as saying something to the effect "I certainly had no clue that I could risk losing a career by taking a puff too many from ventolin. Really I didn't do anything different than I always do and have never had a problem".

ilpirata said:
Alessandro Petacchi was absolved by the Italian federation disciplinary commision. The CONI had previously asked for a one year suspension. Pettacchi was quoted as saying something to the effect "I certainly had no clue that I could risk losing a career by taking a puff too many from ventolin. Really I didn't do anything different than I always do and have never had a problem".
Thanks for the quote.......However, we did not get to see him in the TDF and that is a shame. Cycling right now is hurting itself with all the hysteria about doping. To be honest, I do not know why anyone would want to be part of the sport as a rider at this time.

wolfix said:
Thanks for the quote.......However, we did not get to see him in the TDF and that is a shame. Cycling right now is hurting itself with all the hysteria about doping. To be honest, I do not know why anyone would want to be part of the sport as a rider at this time.
and now, the antidoping commision of CONI will appeal the decision saying;
that Petacchi has shown nothing that clears him of negligence in the use of the banned substance, and of violating the normatives of the WADA references.

As has been discussed on other threads, the doping threshold is very generous for salbutamol, meaning that it is almost impossible to get over it with inhaler alone. Petacchi almost certainly popped a pill, and did so for reasons other than to open his airways, and that being so, he should serve a two year ban.

Has anyone here ever used that drug for asthma control? I have, and I can tell you that super dosing on it would have more short term detrimental effects than positive ones IMO.

I just can't see it as an effective doping product. Screws with your system (heart rate, etc.) and I certainly don't see any performance benefit (save for being able to inhale without restriction).

Serafino said:
Has anyone here ever used that drug for asthma control? I have, and I can tell you that super dosing on it would have more short term detrimental effects than positive ones IMO.

I just can't see it as an effective doping product. Screws with your system (heart rate, etc.) and I certainly don't see any performance benefit (save for being able to inhale without restriction).
How about increasing cardiac output, increasing muscular bloodflow, increasing muscular glucose uptake, and increasing muscular contractility? Sounds bad for an athlete?

artemidorus said:
How about increasing cardiac output, increasing muscular bloodflow, increasing muscular glucose uptake, and increasing muscular contractility? Sounds bad for an athlete?
Have you used it or are you quoting theory. I have and I would certainly prefer to ride/race/run/whatever without it. I personally don't see any performance benefit. In fact, its quite unnerving. Effects are also pretty short term IMO, hence the requirement to dose 4 times per day or per symptomatic requirement.

Serafino said:
Have you used it or are you quoting theory. I have and I would certainly prefer to ride/race/run/whatever without it. I personally don't see any performance benefit. In fact, its quite unnerving. Effects are also pretty short term IMO, hence the requirement to dose 4 times per day or per symptomatic requirement.
Do you want me to resort to anecdote or rely on rigorously established science? Really!!

Serafino said:

That's because you've went too much beyond the therapeutic concentration range. The key with any of these stuff is to hit a narrow range that maximize the benefits while staying away from the detriments. Taking a tablet could slow and extend the time of release. Whereas aerosol absorption through the respiratory mucosa is immediate and easily leads to a high peak in the blood concentration.

sogood said:
That's because you've went too much beyond the therapeutic concentration range. The key with any of these stuff is to hit a narrow range that maximize the benefits while staying away from the detriments. Taking a tablet could slow and extend the time of release. Whereas aerosol absorption through the respiratory mucosa is immediate and easily leads to a high peak in the blood concentration.
Reasonable point, except for the fact that Petacchi's urine level suggests that he, too, went well beyond the therapeutic upper limit.

artemidorus said:
Reasonable point, except for the fact that Petacchi's urine level suggests that he, too, went well beyond the therapeutic upper limit.
I wasn't disagreeing with you there. My point earlier was a counter point to Serafino's arguments on salbutamol dose effect.

Therapeutic range really only refers to the blood concentration required for a particular medical indication, typically asthma management (I don't think premature labour is relevant in this context). There are other effects and indications going outside the therapeutic range for respiratory/asthma management.

artemidorus said:
Do you want me to resort to anecdote or rely on rigorously established science? Really!!
How about starting by answering the question. Quoting theory or any practical experience.

I've never gone over the limit btw. I'm talking about benefits/drawbacks even at the limit (4 x 2 x 100 mcg).

Serafino said:
How about starting by answering the question. Quoting theory or any practical experience.

I've never gone over the limit btw. I'm talking about benefits/drawbacks even at the limit (4 x 2 x 100 mcg).
Sorry, my friend. A given individual's interaction with salbutamol is not the point, and anecdote never ended any discussion. Salbutamol is a catecholamine-like drug with adrenalin-like effects and this has been proven beyond doubt. Its status as a PED has been accepted by all relevant sporting bodies.