Petacchi picks a fight with the team bus and loses..

whiteboytrash

Mar 9, 2005
Italy's Alessandro Petacchi was forced to quit the Tour of Spain on Sunday after he punched his team bus and broke a bone in his right hand thereby ending his troubled 2006 season.

Petacchi finished stage 15 to Almussafes but was so angry he did not win the sprint that he vented his frustration on the door of the Team Milram bus and fractured the top of the fifth metacarpal on his right hand.

The fracture means Petacchi, who broke his kneecap during stage three of the Giro d'Italia in May and missed the Tour de France in July, will not be able to continue in the three-week Tour of Spain.

"I know I've done something stupid but I did it because I was very angry after having a real chance of winning for the first time for months," Petacchi said in a statement issued by his Milram team.

"I want to apologise to my team mates and team managers but I was so angry I couldn't control myself. There's no doubt I've made a mistake but I'm a human being, I'm not a machine."

The riders enjoy a second rest day on Monday and the final week of racing starts on Tuesday with the 145-km 16th stage from Almeria to the Astronomical Observatory of Calar Alto.

slovakguy said:
...did anybody get the bus' side of the argument?
The bus was looking for a fight, never has been able to hold it's liquor.

lw

Did you guys see the sprint, with the push between Petacchi and the Lampre guy? Incredible, absolutely incredible that no one crashed in that one... :eek:

Its seems that steroids have wide spread effects on reducing the size of body organs...one of those being the brain of course;)

Powerful Pete said:
Did you guys see the sprint, with the push between Petacchi and the Lampre guy? Incredible, absolutely incredible that no one crashed in that one... :eek:

I caught it on the highlights : it was incredible that there wasn't a serious crash.