Peter, 2011 Campy Changes

alienator

Jun 10, 2004
Peter,

Do you have any idea what the net effect of the changes to the shifting mechanism inside the 2011 SR/Record/Chorus shifters will be? Is Campy addressing what some have called an indistinct feel? Are they getting their click back? Having never used Campy 11, I can't say one way or another how the shifting feels.

For those interested, the changes to the 2011 gruppos are given here, in this official Campy document.

Having the small chainrings threaded to accept the chainring bolts, negating the need for a second tool to mount the chainrings, is nice. Small, but nice.

alienator said:
Peter,

Do you have any idea what the net effect of the changes to the shifting mechanism inside the 2011 SR/Record/Chorus shifters will be? Is Campy addressing what some have called an indistinct feel? Are they getting their click back? Having never used Campy 11, I can't say one way or another how the shifting feels.

For those interested, the changes to the 2011 gruppos are given here, in this official Campy document.

Having the small chainrings threaded to accept the chainring bolts, negating the need for a second tool to mount the chainrings, is nice. Small, but nice.

First I've seen the Campagnolo issued new for 2011 thing. 11s and later version of 10s in late 2009/2010 was clickier than the first gen Centaur and Veloce but not as clicky as older, 2008 Record/Chorus. Hopefully they have gotten their 'click' back. I haven't seen the actual innards of the Athena new shift guts but I hope it's not like 2007/8 Centaur/Xenon type innards which were poor. I think they are tho since they talk of only one upshift to a highrer gear(smaller cog) at a time like Xenon. They also don't talk about the new Athena and below power crank which looks like the shimano crank..spindle all the way thru, LH crank arm bolts on the end..no hirth fitting.

No more TA replacement rings tho altho I suppose you could just get some older Campagnolo chainring bolts with a TA replacement small ring.

Ti spindle crank...geeezzz, that's gonna be expensive. Along with the all carbon RD....I'll see more at Interbike