Peter McCallum Cancer Centre reports breakthrough

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Dr. Jai Maharaj, Dec 16, 2003.

  1. Breakthrough in cancer treatment

    AFP Tuesday, October 21, 2003

    Sydney - Australian researchers on Monday unveiled a breakthrough treatment for cancer that uses
    genetically altered blood cells to kill tumours.

    Melbourne 's Peter McCallum Cancer Centre said it hoped to begin human trials in two years after the
    treatment proved effective on mice.

    Associate professor Joe Trapani said the treatment involved taking hundreds of millions of white
    blood cells from the sufferer. The cells' DNA is then genetically altered so they can recognise the
    tumour and attack it.

    ''What we've shown so far is that you can take the cells from the immune system from the animal
    itself, treat them outside the body to be able to recognise cancer and then inject them into the
    body,'' he said. ''Instead of having a few, perhaps one in 1,000 cells that can recognise the
    tumour, now we have virtually 100 per cent of them that can home in and so the attack on the tumour
    is much, much greater.''

    The treatment could ultimately be used to tackle many types of cancers but researchers plan to begin
    by targeting commoner forms.

    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cms.dll/html/uncomp/articleshow?msid=243559

    Jai Maharaj http://www.mantra.com/jai Om Shanti

    Panchaang for 25 Ashvin 5104, Monday, October 20, 2003:

    Shubhanu Nama Samvatsare Dakshinaya Jeevan Ritau Tula Mase Krishna Pakshe Indu Vasara Yuktayam Ashlesh-
    Magh Nakshatr Shubh-Shukl Yog Vishti-Bav Karan Dashami-Ekadashi Yam Tithau

    Hindu Holocaust Museum http://www.mantra.com/holocaust

    Hindu life, principles, spirituality and philosophy http://www.hindu.org http://www.hindunet.org

    The truth about Islam and Muslims http://www.flex.com/~jai/satyamevajayate

    o Not for commercial use. Solely to be fairly used for the educational purposes of research and
    open discussion. The contents of this post may not have been authored by, and do not
    necessarily represent the opinion of the poster. The contents are protected by copyright law
    and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works. o If you send private e-mail to me, it
    will likely not be read, considered or answered if it does not contain your full legal name,
    current e-mail and postal addresses, and live-voice telephone number. o Posted for information
    and discussion. Views expressed by others are not necessarily those of the poster.

    Tags:

  2. "Dr. Jai Maharaj" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Breakthrough in cancer treatment
    >
    > AFP Tuesday, October 21, 2003
    >
    > Sydney - Australian researchers on Monday unveiled a breakthrough treatment for cancer that uses
    > genetically altered blood cells to kill tumours.
    >
    > Melbourne 's Peter McCallum Cancer Centre said it hoped to begin human trials in two years after
    > the treatment proved effective on mice.
    >
    > Associate professor Joe Trapani said the treatment involved taking hundreds of millions of white
    > blood cells from the sufferer. The cells' DNA is then genetically altered so they can recognise
    > the tumour and attack it.
    >
    > ''What we've shown so far is that you can take the cells from the immune system from the animal
    > itself, treat them outside the body to be able to recognise cancer and then inject them into the
    > body,'' he said. ''Instead of having a few, perhaps one in 1,000 cells that can recognise the
    > tumour, now we have virtually 100 per cent of them that can home in and so the attack on the
    > tumour is much, much greater.''
    >
    > The treatment could ultimately be used to tackle many types of cancers but researchers plan to
    > begin by targeting commoner forms.

    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cms.dll/html/uncomp/articleshow?msid=2435 59

    Okay all you anti genetic modification crusaders. To your battle stations!

    --Rich

  3. "Rich Shewmaker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Dr. Jai Maharaj" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:health-
    > [email protected]
    > > Breakthrough in cancer treatment
    > >
    > > AFP Tuesday, October 21, 2003
    > >
    > > Sydney - Australian researchers on Monday unveiled a breakthrough treatment for cancer that uses
    > > genetically altered blood cells to kill tumours.
    > >
    > > Melbourne 's Peter McCallum Cancer Centre said it hoped to begin human trials in two years after
    > > the treatment proved effective on mice.
    > >
    > > Associate professor Joe Trapani said the treatment involved taking hundreds of millions of white
    > > blood cells from the sufferer. The cells' DNA is then genetically altered so they can recognise
    > > the tumour and attack it.
    > >
    > > ''What we've shown so far is that you can take the cells from the immune system from the animal
    > > itself, treat them outside the body to be able to recognise cancer and then inject them into the
    > > body,'' he said. ''Instead of having a few, perhaps one in 1,000 cells that can recognise the
    > > tumour, now we have virtually 100 per cent of them that can home in and so the attack on the
    > > tumour is much, much greater.''
    > >
    > > The treatment could ultimately be used to tackle many types of cancers but researchers plan to
    > > begin by targeting commoner forms.

    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cms.dll/html/uncomp/articleshow?msid=2435
    > 59
    > >

    > Okay all you anti genetic modification crusaders. To your battle stations!
    >
    > --Rich

    No problem with it in this context but please note it will be 2 years before it is ready for human
    trials and will be used with chemo and radiotherapy, not instead of. It's a big jump from being
    effective in animals to being useful in humans. Still, anything that has a chance at making inroads
    into adenocarcinoma treatment must be welcome. MIKE