Peter Sagan... can anyone come around him? No, is the answer.

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by danfoz, May 3, 2014.

1. danfoz

danfoz Well-Known Member

2. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

I guess you missed this one a few weeks ago:

Pop goes the weasel....
    [​IMG]

Or Gerrans...

[​IMG]

Milan San Remo 2013

[​IMG]

There's more than a few others - but, Sagan is ace. Give him a few years and a bit more endurance and he'll be taking some big wins in the longer classics too like Roubaix, Flanders and Milan San Remo.

3. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I've got to admit that I'm a Sagan fan.

He is absolutely class rider and the pick of the peloton in terms of potential.

4. swampy1970

The lad has huge potential and if the races are under 200km, he's the man to beat. I dig his style and his playful antics - he makes racing fun to watch.

For some reason I think that Cannondale isn't the best team for him. Imagine what he'd be like under the mammoth training program implemented by Team Sky. Dear God...

5. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Sagan's 2013 TDF Points win shows that this lad has sufficient capacity to win multi stages races and one day races simultaneously.

Cannondale? There probably are more high powered teams which could more fully explore Sagan's potential. I think he is the rider of this generation.

6. swampy1970

He has the potential to be just that. But he's never had the legs to put in a performance at any of the long Monuments like Roubaix or Flanders - and that's what I'm talking about. Give the lad a few years and a ton of kilometers in the legs and he'll really be something to talk about. He ALWAYS suffers on the long events and hasn't shown anything to prove otherwise.

7. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Fair points about Flanders and Roubaix.
    It takes a very talented rider with a modicum of luck thrown in to win those races as well as being able to win multi stage races.

8. swampy1970

Given the semi-consistency of guys like Boonen and Cancellara to win Flanders and Roubaix so many times in recent years, I'm not that sure that "luck" is up there on things that need to be relied upon. The ability to crush souls after 240km, is.

It takes a special rider to be able to do that. As much as I like Sagan, he's not there. Yet. I hope he will get there...

9. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I think to win Roubaix each winner needs a modicum of luck. Not to puncture or not to have a mechanical problem at a crucial part of the race.
    Get a puncture or have a mechanical problem - throw in a delay in your team getting to you, and your chance to win at Roubaix can evaporate.

The element of luck needed to win at Flanders diminishes because the surface they race over is less difficult than Roubaix.

Of course ability, strength, fitness, ability to concentrate, ability to suffer pain are all factors to in winning as well.

10. swampy1970

Looks like three folks trumped Sagan on Stage 1 in Calfornia.